Bow speed/chrono

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Sep 2, 2017.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys just wanted to get some input from other bow hunters. I recently purchased a new bow and got all of my accessories and got it setup. I talked to a few pro shops guy, a few guys I work with who shoot the same brand name bow and checked 2 sites where you put in all of your info and it calculates what speeds you should be getting. Both web sites said I should be somewhere between 323 and 325 fps. I am only getting around 307 through the chrono. The bows IBO if 350 fps. I am shooting 29DL with 70 lb DW with a 390 grain arrow. I understand you lose speed for being over 350 arrow weight and under the 30 DL when talking about speed but I was curious if I should have lost that much speed with my setup and if not what could be causing the speed to be that much off. I had it tuned when I purchased it so everything should be spot on. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

2. kurtzgreg1561

kurtzgreg1561 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most bow companies inflate their IBO specs to grab the speed freaks. Accuracy,smoothness, forgiveness, and a quiet bow are all way more important in the woods for hunting. That being said weight on the string, let-off and tuning optimization both will influence the results. Important thing is are you accurate and is it enjoyable to shoot as most true speed bows are not.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

JHasty likes this.
  3. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless your shooting a Darton cuz they shoot their advertised speed.

JHasty likes this.
  4. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The arrow shaft and its components don't usually weigh what they're advertised to weigh.

You likely have slight variation in final arrow weight from arrow-to-arrow. Did you weight your arrows?

Any components on your string would affect arrow speed. You would have to account for this in the online calculator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OHbowhntr and JHasty like this.
  5. kurtzgreg1561

kurtzgreg1561 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    True that! Darton are excellent bows. Love the New Maverick II. Shot for Darton years ago. Great company and customer service. Could be the most underated bow company ever. Rex's designs are archery standards and used by most bow companies out there today.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

JHasty likes this.
  6. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have weighed my arrows Plano and they are run within a grain or two of each other so they are not perfect but there isn't a huge gap in between the weights of each arrow. The only things I have on my string are peep and d-loop and the speeds that the websites told me I should be within was including those. I wasn't sure of the weight so I went with 5,10, and 15 grains on the string and the speeds only fluctuated within a few feet between 5 grains and 15 so I don't know. I kind of clueless when it come to some things lol

7. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you an Android iOS phone, download an app called bowometry. It will help in around about to calculate your speed, its an helpful device. I used in determining my bow speeds, compared to the programs used. Its not much different in calculated speeds.

Sent from my VS987 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

JHasty likes this.
  8. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only other thing would be to try another chrono. I would call it "good".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHasty likes this.
  9. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With what you are shooting for DW, DL, and arrow weight, you're getting what is pretty normal.

OHbowhntr and JHasty like this.
  10. cdm369

cdm369 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put it in the kill zone at 250fps and you will knock down the biggest of bucks. 350 does nothing for you if your in no man's land. Point is, as earlier mentioned, placement is everything in hunting.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

JHasty, kurtzgreg1561 and OHbowhntr like this.
  11. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know a couple guys who were pulling 70 pounds or so they thought, one guy was 66 pounds and the other closer to 60, unless you actually check the poundage you cant be for certain what weight youre at.
    I was the exact opposite, was set at 60 pounds had new strings and cables installed and all the sudden was at 70 pounds, backed it down a bit.

The long and short is actually check the poundage

JHasty likes this.
  12. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Accuracy is the endpoint here, and in reality, if you're really getting 307, you're faster than 95% of the guys out there... Now what you're doing with that 307fps is the question.... Using "old school" math, you're 40 grains over IBO, which means you lost 13.3 fps there, plus 10fps for your 29" DL, now start adding string weight, probably at least 20 grains which equals minus 7 fps, and then depending on bow make, a 350 IBO often times when real world tested is really only a 330 IBO... Makes a difference.... Unless you are a REALLY good archer, you won't really be able to tell much difference between 307 and 323 anyhow... If you're really good, that 2" at 40 yds still doesn't really matter much...

JHasty likes this.