What color Hunting Light do you use?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sound Barrier, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  2. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a head lamp with a green light.

3. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Green is the way to go unless you have to blood trail. I carry a white light for that. To scare deer off so they don't see you getting out of your stand use a green laser and flash it on the ground around them. They will leave in a hurry and will not blow at it. You can then get down. I have had a yearling just look at it not knowing to be scared one time. So I carry three.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Back for more self-promotion?

I'd be happy to discuss if you didn't post the link up to your blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    always used a red light going back to my military days. Commie rat bastards also see white light better than red...

cantexian, Cablebob, WillO and 2 others like this.
  6. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer red over green.

My hunting buddy used to use green and you can definitely see the green way better at distance than the red.

He now has a red one and it's barely detectable, even with my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound Barrier likes this.
  7. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always used red. I was always told deer cant see red light so that was interesting to read that there was actual research done on it.

Shawn
    Excalibur Phoenix
    Carbon Express 380 grains
    Rage Hypodermic 125 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 6 Turkey Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

8. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer can't see green light. I walk up on so many animals it's crazy. I hope other hunters can see it. Deer can't see red either but it's harder for me to see the path also.

9. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have deer coming to some corn I put out in my backyard about 15yds outside my bedroom window. I could take a flashlight with a red lense and shine it all over from deer to deer, shine in in their eyes and had zero reaction. I never tried it with green but I know that one tiny flicker of white light from inside the house and they would bolt.

10. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used green on some predator hunts and never had a issue of Coyotes shying from the light and it helps me see farther than with the red light.

On my Missouri hunt last year I repeatedly left stands at the end of the night with the green head lamp having deer around and not spook them.

Never would get away with that with a white light.

11. Sound Barrier

Dislikes Received:
    They can see green much better than red. They cannot see red at all!

12. Sound Barrier

Dislikes Received:
    never heard of this laser tactic, interesting..

13. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been doing it for 3 years now. Got the laser for a pointer at work to point out lines and valves. Brought it to the woods to play with squirrels and birds waiting on the big buck. At dark does came out and I could not get down without spooking them. Pulled out the laser and the rest is history. I just bought so more of them off eBay 10 for 24 bucks.

14. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to disagree. They cannot see my green light at all. Unless you are talking about a laser. A red laser does not work to spook deer either. Tried that.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I use a normal white light. A hella bright one so I can see exactly where I'm going.

There's a few things that hunters do that have always puzzled me, and the colored light is one of them. Let's just go ahead and assume deer can't see red or green lights - even though that's not entirely the case. But for argument's sake we'll say they're invisible to deer. However as we all know, deer can see very well in the dark and their sense of hearing is impeccable. So you're walking into your stand through the woods - if there is a deer within earshot of you, chances are they're going to hear you. Especially if you're using a crappy dim light and can't totally see what you're stepping on, over or into.

Now if you're walking through a field they're most certainly going to see you - light or no light - if you're within a distance they consider dangerous. Now I will say that in the dark deer tend to be more tolerant of people in terms of how close you can get before they spook, but I personally don't believe that has anything to do with what type of light you have.

Let's then examine the use of a white light. Assuming a deer can see this better than green or red, under what conditions are they seeing this light? We've already established that deer within a certain distance of you are going to be spooky regardless of what light you have. So my guess is most people are worried about deer at a distance. Let's say a couple hundred yards across a field. This is the part that amuses me. Deer see lights all the time - headlights from vehicles, stars in the sky, lights on tractors, lights on houses, etc. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere Canada or out West there aren't a lot of places in the whitetail's world where they don't see lights on a regular basis. And because they're deer they really don't know what those lights are. You see, deer don't know what a flashlight is. They don't know the difference from one light to another - and as the many road kill deer can attest - they aren't necessarily scared of "light". If that was the case they'd never come close to a road or a house. This is because they are deer and not humans. They don't have the ability to reason that a little bouncing stream of light way across a field or up in a tree is a human trying to kill them. It's, quite simply, just a light.

Sometimes I think we give deer a little too much credit.

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep a light in my pack, but I don't use one going into my stand. I've learned my route to my stand over the years. If a deer hears a twig snap in the dark, it doesn't know exactly what caused it, but when a deer sees a light it knows it's from a human. They're not stupid. Lights are not a normal sighting in the woods I hunt.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  17. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I use green for a few reasons. First, as others have said, it doesn't seem to bother deer. Second, I'm red/green colorblind and while I can see well with a green light, I'm almost blind with a red light. Third, green light (for me) makes a blood trail visible in the dark because the blood shows up black.

18. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hadn't really given that much thought. Good points there.

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wholeheartedly disagree with this.

A twig snapping in the dark is no different than a twig snapping in the daylight. A deer most certainly can tell the difference between the sounds humans make when walking through the woods than other animals. IMO noise spooks way more deer than light does.

And when a deer sees a light it most certainly doesn't "know" it's from a human. Again, deer are not people. Their brains cannot reason that humans create artificial light to help them navigate in the dark. A light is just a light.

Our anecdotal experiences with different color lights really don't prove anything - you can find stories of people using red, green, or white lights and deer not spooking in the dark. I've used them all and had the exact same types of experiences with each one. Heck, I've shined a handheld white light on deer from my stand in the dark and never even had them look up.

Shane0709 likes this.
  20. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: