Lineman's Rope

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Jmnhunter, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Jmnhunter

Jmnhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm finally going to be more safe while bowhunting, maybe its because I have a family now, but I never used a harness while bowhunting, hanging a stand or setting one up, I figured its about time. Anyhow, i ordered a HSS harness, but it looks like it does not come with a linemans belt or rope. Sounds like I want to go with a rope style since its easier and quieter than a belt?

any references on how to make one? $20+shipping seems spendy for a piece of rope and 2 carabiners

2. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In reality, that is a good price. You're life is worth much more than that.

I'm a Journeyman Lineman. I make my own safety with carabineers that I purchase for hanging stands and ladders. I make my own so I can have several due to the size of the tree I'm hanging stands in. I use a positioning harness that I bought. I won't make a safety for anyone due to liability reasons. The knots I use are standard to the industry, and I trust myself to tie them correctly. If I were you, I'd buy the safety

JGD and w33kender like this.
  4. Jmnhunter

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the tips guys, yeah i thought a guy could make one for like 5-10 bucks, but it looks like you need specific rope, so not really saving much.

for the muddy lineman, theres only 1 carbiner, so that hooks to both loops on my harness?

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some have 2 carabineers, and some have one and a French Link. The rope isn't that specific, but you do want to pay attention to the weight rating on the carabineers. Remember, this is your life you are playing with.
    To answer your question. You should have one carabineers for each side of your harness. DON'T hook both sides in to the same carabineer.

6. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The muddy had a caribiner on a prusik on one side then the other it's tied off with a loop. Just stick the loop through your tie offs on your harness and run the rest through then you have the caribiner to undo if you have to go around a branch.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Buckeye Bowhunter likes this.
  7. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you go to the link you can have an idea. I can make knots but know the names of very few so it makes explaining them difficult haha

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Jmnhunter

Dislikes Received:
    perfect, thanks!

Buckeye Bowhunter likes this.
  9. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made my own with only a carabiner on one side. Of course, my carabiner was $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only one caribener needed.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/grprahl/videos
    DIY Sportsman on youtube has some great tips for silencing stands, DIY harnesses etc.

11. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the link, guess I know what I'm doing today. A lot of good videos.

Rangerdan likes this.
  12. Coop427

Coop427 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought this same lineman rope separately hoping to use to as both a lineman rope and a tree strap. I don't remember what it said on the package but if I remember right it specified that it was only to be used as a linemans rope which told me it may not be suitable for a tree strap. I looked at their safety line and despite being much longer the rope itself is also much thicker and made from different material. I could be wrong but I think the lineman rope is not rated for fall protection, it's only suitable as a support rope.
    These ropes should have impact force ratings (kN rating on the package) because an actual safety strap would be able to withstand the greater force that occurs during a fall which is many times more than what your body weight is. I would be pretty hesitant to use the lineman rope as a main safety line unless it specifically states it can withstand proper impact forces. I tried calling Muddy to verify if the rope is rated for fall prevention but you can't speak to a live person. They ask you to leave a message.

Check out Eastern Mountain Sports website for an easy read on different ropes.
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ropes.html

heartstopper likes this.
  13. Bowslinger2

Bowslinger2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Save your self a lot of grief. Have had a ton of harneses with linemen belt rope style pursic knots. They do work but one big draw back. Lots of times you HAVE TO USE TWO HANDS TO ADJUST THEM.. I use the black belt strap buckle type you can loosen or tighten it with one hand when your strapped to the tree. Unlike the pursic you have to loosen the knot to slide it up or down. Pull the tab on the buckle to loosen, pull the belt strap to tighten.

14. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have an old leather lineman's belt with safety strap I use. Has the heavy steel D rings that stay in one position on the belt. Safety strap has heavy buckle on each end. Use the a couple days ago removing the last hang on stand and ladder sticks. Have 2 ladder stand now and two hang on stand I will use a ladder for access to and from. No more sticks for me. To hang a stand I go up the ladder, strap it to the tree and put one stick above for a hang on place. Throw a light chain with pulley around the tree and hook it off. 1/2" rope through the pulley tied to the stand. Safety belt around the tree, pull the stand up - tie a knot in the rope at the pulley and hang the stand. Back to the ground and one more strap around the ladder to the tree. done deal. Easy up and down every time I want to use. Of course the safety line and harness is standard.

15. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used a rope with the prusic knot for a while. I hate that the knot is exposed though and easy to bump. Now I’m using the HSS strap and love it. It’s also more compact when folded up so it’s easier to keep stashed in my pack at all times.

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/linemans-climbing-strap/

16. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve never used a lineman’s belt in the past. I just recently put together my own setup. I went with 20’ of 10mm dynamic rope. I tied a figure eight follow through into my rock harness. Then I use an ascender in place of a prusik which is attached to my harness as well. Seems to work well, have around $70 in the setup.

17. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just use the HSS lifeline system for $30 per. I don't think you'll save a ton of money doing a homemade job once you add in your time and labor.

18. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    jmnhunter, my complements on your decision. I'm a hunter education instructor in TN and get hunting accident reports from TWRA. From 2010-2015, there were 63 treestand incidents; 60 were not wearing a full body harness. Space doesn't allow me to relate all the stories I have heard in the last 19 years. Good and safe hunting!

JGD likes this.