Guardians of the Timber - Team 11

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Marauder, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff, great work on the team logo! Looks like we have a great team! I won't let the contest dictate what I shoot but I hope to contribute. I will try to give you guys some updates and will post in the "live from the stand thread if I have service?? Sunday will be the first sit for Pronghorn.

I did get a chance to scout some new ground this morning and found some good sign, great bedding area with food and water nearby. I put a couple cameras out, but need to get a few more out.

Blarney22 likes this.
  2. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We had a couple 140s taken off our lease last year. That's a big deer for us as well. East Texas is known for their big deer but everything is so thick here and a lot of pressure push the big boys into hiding. I'm hoping for 3rd time is a charm kinda thing this year being the 3rd year into bow hunting. Taken a couple deer in my first two years and have been as close as 7-10 yards from a big 9 point that never presented a shot. As long as I'm seeing them each year I know I'm at least doing something right! I'm ready to help this gem team out!!

3. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be tickled to death to get one 120. I can only go up from here. My only buck with a bow is a small 5 point I got in my avatar last year!

4. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it's going to be a fun year I haven't got a buck yet but this is only my 3rd year bow hunting I will do the best I can to help out. I got a doe the first year then didn't get out much last year because of my daughter being born and switching jobs but this year will be different. Last year I should have shot a doe I seen about every sit but I had a 140 buck come in while I was sitting behind my ghost blind and didn't have a shot and keep holding out waiting on him to come back and next thing i knew season was over.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  5. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Guardians of the Timber are going to be a great team! Last year Team 26 we came in second by just a few points, it was really close and really fun. This team is shaking up to be just as much fun. My standards are going to be pretty high this year on my family farm, on some public near me i'd be happy with a P&Y. I can't wait to get out and hunt.

6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I get back I need to be educated on how to save that image on my Mac so I can make it my avatar.

7. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not me....I do know the guy in the pic well though as I played ball with his brother. Good guy and hunts just 15 minutes north of me.

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I thought this was you for some reason. haha oh well that's still a good pic

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I thought we were going to win on 26 last year. Our team had a heck of a run that's for sure.

Wisconsin Buckwatch likes this.
  10. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    We didn't do too bad on team 4. I think we held second place for a minute and ended up 4th or 5th. No giants but a lot of 115-120 bucks and almost everyone shot a doe. Those does are key.

11. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree getting a doe is key. **** if you don't shoot a doe your counting on shooting 130+ and I know everyone on here is a bad ass assassin, but most people won't shoot a deer that sized. I'd be willing to bet the teams that win in the past had most team members shoot a doe. That being said i've had those years where I had been seeing plenty of does out of range and all I could get close was spikes and forks. I'm going to my family farm tomorrow to check cameras and plant my food plots. Probably staying out of that property until the season. I may have to hang a stand or two yet, but I don't mind just hangin and hunting either. Hopefully the cameras have some good news.

Shocker99 likes this.
  12. rockinrod12

rockinrod12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading in the morning to grab 2 cameras I never got around to last winter. Hopefully they'll have pics of some bucks that made it through the orange invasion. This is on 80 acres and I'm the only one who hunts there. It's in our APR zone and several of the neighbors practice QDMA. So I have high hopes for this property.

kjstaudt86 and Shocker99 like this.
  13. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yea share the pics if you get some good ones

14. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Blarney22 for captain!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Blarney22 likes this.
  15. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    finally got to my computer to change my avatar. Let's go GOTT!!

Marauder likes this.
  16. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna head to one of spots today. Will check the camera, trim some branches, and bait. Hope to get some better pics. Nothing but 2.5/1.5 year olds and bears so far.

17. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The standards I currently have put me in the 190+ range as it pertains to this contest (buck and doe). That said, as the season progresses my demeanor on any given day can dictate which mature deer I choose to put my tag on. I got one tight and taller main frame 8 that won't score amazing, but which has some great character I will bend my 140 standards on. All in all, I have a lot of great deer showing up on camera and know of a few trophies around that have evaded the cameras to this point. 27 days until season breaks for me....

Marauder likes this.
  18. rockinrod12

rockinrod12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    These are the better bucks I got pics of. Not monsters like some of you guys got but I'd be happy to tag one this year.

19. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In a new spot a buddy and myself are gonna try we are going after this mainframe ten we named The Boss. Here's pics of him at the end of season last year. We know he made it through the season because we got pics of him after he shed his horns.
    MFDC0063.JPG MFDC0032.JPG MFDC0055.JPG

Attached Files:

20. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DAMN with some of the guys on this team you missed out on the perfect team name...Fergie Claus! You could have had Santa in his camo sleigh with little ass spikes on his hat.

Garet, Marauder and ATbuckhunter like this.