Treestand help and realease aide help

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Jack57, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Jack57

Jack57 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I am brand new to bow hunting and this fall am hoping to do some bowhunting on some public land but I can not seem to sight my bow in at all. I have a PSE stinger X and I've started off with a trigger release aide but the suspense of when it will fire always messes with me and screws up my shot. So does anyone have any tips for me or anyone have any releases that they think would benefit me? Also next topic I'm looking to buy a treestand something light weight and something I can set up easily and move to tree to tree if I have to when I'm hunting public land so please if anyone has any ideas for treestand please let me know

Thank you

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have bad target panic. Make sure you are keeping your front shoulder steady in socket and try to release by using your back muscles. You'll be pulling with your back with your finger wrapped around your trigger. I try to be surprised if the situation allows. I hope that make sense.
    Check out Nock On with John Dudley. http://www.nockonarchery.com/

As for treestand, I bought a Summit Goliath. It is really comfortable and fairly light. But I wish I had got a hang on and climbing sticks now. At first the Summit was exactly what I needed. But now I want the versatility of the hang on.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would focus on your craft before worrying about getting into the woods. The last thing you wanna do is climb into a stand and not being completely comfortable hitting your Mark every time.. start very close ( 6-8 yards ) then move back as you get accurate. The key is knowing your rig and having the process of every shot being the same.
    Might be a good idea to find a fellow hunter or pro shop to evaluate what your doing right or wrong.

Tribeck, 802bowlife and WillO like this.
  5. Jmnhunter

Jmnhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    keep practicing, you'll get used to it; once the confidence sets in, you'll feel alot better, dont be shy on going into a archery shop and having one of the guru's watch your form, they'll give you some tips.

as for stands, I'm in the same boat you are in, I got rid of my heavy steel hang ons and will be doing run/gun setups. you will pay for the lightweight-aluminum. It looks like it'll be atleast $225 for a stand with sticks. Look at the Hawk Helium-12lbs, Millennium M7 Micro Lite 8.5lbs; X Stand Xpedition 10lbs; all range from 110$150, I'm leaning towards the Xstand myself; as for sticks, there are hawk helium sticks for about $100, Lone wolf sticks fro $150, those are the 2 i've been looking at anyways, and the helium sticks have my attention

6. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Before you even think about pointing your bow at an animal, make sure you can hit the mark consistently.

Edit: What Fix said

Fix likes this.
  7. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have to agree with the guys... Practice your form and doing so with someone with experience may save some time and grief. No release will cure bad habits.
    Climbing stands are easiest and fastest way to move if there are trees to climb. Clamp-ons and sticks will work on more trees with issues like we have in Kansas. Ground blinds work pertnear everywhere. I have a TreeLounge and when it comes to run&gun moving I can move quick even if it is a bit heavy at 35 lbs.