Ravin R15 review

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Westfinger, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I figured I would post my initial impressions of the Ravin R15 crossbow since I finally had a chance to shoot it. The Ravin R15 came fully assembled. The scope, quiver, cocking arm, 6 bolts and 6 field points were included.
    Initial impressions out of the box were excellent. Very compact and light. After attaching the scope I headed to the range. Cocking was a breeze. Safety was subtle, trigger pull was very nice. First shot at the 10yd target blew through the target. Fletchings on the bolt were trashed. Next shot on 20yd target was a couple inches high. Two more shoots and I was zeroed in at 20yds. Bolts were buried almost to the fletchings. As a result the fletchings became mangled during the difficult extraction.
    So far this appears to be the real deal. PRO's Very fast, light, compact, accurate, able to de-cock in the field without firing. Everything seems very well made. Noise when firing was good by crossbow standards. Picatinny rail and built in sling attachments are nice features.
    CON's this thing is going to eat up arrows. Safety is very subtle and it may be difficult to see the indicator. This may be a source of stress for those supervising young hunters.
    The price tag is a little steep.
    Bottom line is this is a game changer.

I will update as I shoot at longer distances and with broad heads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    ETABNT likes this.
  2. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These are great shooting bows and very accurate. Yes they will chew up vanes in targets not rated for 300FPS or higher. Styro targets are suggested.

3. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I shot it again a couple days ago. Seems to be very accurate. I destroyed the fletchings on three arrows. No more shooting it until I get a better target.

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Block Crossbow is a good one. They still bury deep but mine is rated for 380 and no probs

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Westfinger likes this.
  5. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I have a block target I keep out at the lease, they are top notch. It has held up great for the 6 years I have had it. I was going to bring that home but I keep forgetting. I do have a target from Rural king that is rated for up to 400 fps in the basement that i shoot at over the winter. I suppose I could try that but it has the same covering as the targets I have been blasting through.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to shoot an R9 yesterday for a few hours - definitely impressed. We were shooting broadheads into a Block 6x6 with no problems. Chrono showed our arrows moving at around 395 fps. Pretty sweet little bow!

Westfinger likes this.
  7. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty slick bows indeed.

What broadheads where you shooting? Where you happy with your groups with them?
    I shot the Swacker 100gr practice head a few times with good results.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I was working with the guys from NAP and testing a pile of broadheads to see how they would fly and hold up out of these ultra fast crossbows. The best were the Thunderhead Nitro, Killzone Crossbow and Spitfire Crossbow. I'd give the nod to the Nitro as the best of the bunch. We were pounding 1" groups at 50 yards all day. Love that little broadhead.

triebs58 likes this.
  9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you sir!

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Westfinger likes this.
  11. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    WOW just WOW!

12. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I made a couple adjustments to my set up. I ditched the scope that came with it. Way to busy. I know when the moment of truth arrives my GF is going to pick the wrong yardage point and shoot high or low.
    I switched to a HHA optimizer which I have on my Elite and Ten Point. Set up was super easy sight in at twenty and put the fastest tape on. I confirmed accuracy out to 40 yards. I also added the steady Eddie monopod. Again this was mostly for improved accuracy for GF. I really like the way this is set up and will be trying to punch my doe tag with it and GF’s buck tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. VaDeerHunter

VaDeerHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What broadhead did you end up getting? I was looking at an R9 at my local Cabela's this morning and am thinking of a similar setup with the scope.

14. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up sticking with the Swacker 100gr 1.5". It was close to field point in testing for me. Gf shot a buck at 20 yards with that set up and hit her mark.

15. VaDeerHunter

VaDeerHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had 2 Ten Point crossbows and used the Montec G5 with both. I want to try mechanicals with the Ravin. I'll add them to my list to try, thanks.

16. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Just an FYI for those who may have a Ravin. Make sure you have the new Orange Nocks and not the white ones. Free replacements are available from Ravin.