Feasibility of sharing out-of-state property

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by meatseeker, May 8, 2017.

1. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to hunt out-of-state and have a promising offer in Ohio, but am having a bit of trouble evaluating it. One of the complicating factors is that the landowner's son hunts it. It's about 110-120 acres(mix of ag and woods) and borders a big section of public land which is all woods.

Due to the distance I will only have a few times to hunt this piece and am wondering how many people can be on 120 acres for bowhunting without messing each other up. I also don't want the scraps as I know the landowner's son has hunted it for years and knows it better than I ever could.

Is it worth the investment of time and money(which is not much compared to current leasing rates) ?

2. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's not a matter of how many hunters are using it, it's more a matter of how -and how often- they're using it. This is Ohio... trust me when I tell you that the owners son is definitely not the only guy hunting that land, especially if it borders public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't be worth it for me. Save your money.

4. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You would be able to hunt that amount of property with another hunter. The thing about hunting with another person is it depends on the person. I personally wouldn't hunt with anyone, simply because not everyone takes hunting seriously (and there is nothing wrong with that).

I think if you are unsure of this and thinking on not hunting this property, I'd go with your gut and decide it's not worth the time or money.

5. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I should say that this property works a bit differently and you only pay for the days you hunt, so that's why it's more affordable. Also, one of the guys doing a hunt like myself killed a 150+ buck there, so there are some big ones.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you are basically paying for an self-guided hunt and having access to the property. If there was just one other person hunting the property for the season, it wouldn't bother me too much but it sounds like there will be multiple people hunting the property throughout the season. That is not appealing to me at all.

Josh/OH and greatwhitehunter3 like this.
Tags: