Team 2 Check in

Discussion in '2018 Turkey Contest' started by bornfromthecorn, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well done gents! Well done all around so far this year! That's a great pic Dan! Hopefully it's on video so we can see it in an episode here soon too!

2. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Great news for next year! I was checking my trail cam the other day and had pics of a group of jakes on there. After looking closer, I found one with 2 beards showing already! There's 2 high school kids hunting the same property as me so I told them don't shoot him this year. We need to let him grow up. Hopefully it works. I'd like to see him next year with double 8 or 10 inch beards swinging around!

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Great bird man! I know you aren't zoomed in on the head but it looks pretty messed up. Enter this one for now and you can trade out your score if your 2nd bird is bigger. This way you don't run the risk of loosing this info or forgetting to post later if you don't get a bigger bird. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's the way I interpreted the rules correct Dan?

4. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you , it is. I have three camera angles of it. The main camera, a Bow mounted tacta cam and a reverse stealth cam on video mode

5. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats everyone! Those are some great birds! I was able to harvest a turkey back home with my dad this year, but I did cheat and use a shotgun. With finals and packing to go to Utah it's not looking good for me to get one with my bow. Hope the rest of everyone's seasons go well!

6. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well if any crowd can appreciate a gruesome devastation pic it's this one so I'll post the head shot lol
    I'll wait for dan to chime in and enter if need be.

On another note, took my 7 year old with me back to the blind this morning where I killed, woods were silent aside from some very distant gobbles that did not appear to be replying to my calling, and one hen that I was trying to get worked up enough to drag her over and see if she had silent company but it never happened. When we packed up the blind because the wind picked up and I couldn't keep the blind in the ground, we discovered a fresh winchester long beard xr shell, explained the quiet woods... [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    bloodcrick likes this.
  7. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    you guys looked at score card yet ? :)

T-Rob and BigHoss like this.
  8. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got two days left to hunt here in Illinois. Had a bunch of birds working me yesterday morning but could't get the long beards to come in. I moved my blind to hopefully catch them on the path they take every morning.

BigHoss and bloodcrick like this.
  9. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck man, hope you nail one!

Benny_Bucks likes this.
  10. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    It looks great! Keep up the hard work gents! Although there's a couple teams only one bird shy of making it a close race. Hopefully Tyler isn't on one of those teams or his bird is already entered!

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Ya that is some serious damage. The empty shell sure explains why the woods were quiet. Give them a week and they'll come back. The hard part is the longer the season goes, the harder they are to call in. It's usually easier to try and get closer to them than it is to call them to you.

12. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention, we found pieces of a good bird up at camp, found a good long chunk of beard and tail feathers. Compared some tail feathers to son fans I have at home from 3+ year olds and these were longer than the ones I have. Believe a coyote got him in the clover plot. [​IMG]

bloodcrick likes this.
  13. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't able to get myself a bird this year. Good luck to the rest of you finishing up your seasons if you have some days left to hunt!

14. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Well gents I finished my season today and completed my 3 tom trifecta! Started the season opening day with my brother-in-law harvesting his first turkey, and actual first animal ever. I shot 2 nice toms early season and then today was the finale! Little back story but the last month every time I'd been out, I'd hear a bird gobble at just about anything; motorcycles, crows squawking and even the train that rumbles by and blows it's horn but never really showed himself a lot. Got out there about 9am this morning. Started watching the golf tournament on my phone at 11am and then I heard a gobble at about 12:30 and then another about 10 minutes later a little closer. I though ok, we'll see if he shows. If this is the bird I'm used to hearing, he stays in the trees but doesn't like to show himself a lot. Another 10 minutes and I peel back a corner of my blind window to peek the direction the gobble came from and here he comes! 20 yards from the blind and a beautiful 10 1/2 inch beard wagging back and forth like a dog's tail. (I wish I had a picture of the look on my face because I'm sure it was classic, "Holy crap. Here he comes!") I had just enough time to turn on the video camera and get ready. Put a good shot on him and I found him just over the hill about 40 yards away. He had a 10.5 inch beard, 7/8 inch spurs and weighed 20lbs. Epic ending to an epic season! I've got some footage to put together so once I do that, I'll let y'all know if you wanna check it out. Hope everyone is having a great season and if you can still hunt, I think one more bird would clinch a win for us. Good luck and happy huntin!!!!

3 Tom totals:
    #1 - 21lbs, 10" beard, 1" spurs
    #2 - 20lbs, 8" beard, no spurs
    #3 - 20 1/2lbs, 10 1/2" beard, 7/8" spurs

And the best of all, about 25lbs of the cleanest, best tastin' meat in the freezer! I really doesn't get any better than that!!

BigHoss likes this.
  15. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Team 3 will take the lead here after the score card is updated. They've got 2 birds waiting to be added. If you've got time, put one down us! Best of luck to everyone!

16. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go get em guys!!!

17. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't tagged one in MN yet but headed to Wisconsin tomorrow to hunt for a couple days.

BigHoss likes this.
  18. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go get em!!!

19. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Trevor! We need another toad in the books for us!

20. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys wish I had better news, missed a real nice tom in Wisconsin this morning..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.