Small acreage !!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AL fulldraw, Apr 20, 2017.

1. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know a lot of us hunt small acreage but how many of us live on that small acreage that we hunt. I have 40 acres of regrowth timber that is about 15 years old it has two creeks that run threw the property and two food plots on it. The acron trees are bearing acrons and a lot of thick nasty stuff for bedding areas. However my house is in the very back southeast corner of the property and my drive way runs threw the middle of the property. Very rule and surrounded by large pieces of land. Just curious what y'all set up like for small pieces of land that you live on and hunt or that you just hunt on?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Similar set up for me. I think there is a distinct advantage in living where you hunt, every trip down the driveway is scouting in a way. I am really lucky in the chunk of land 1400 acres to the east is a gated community that does not allow hunting. I studied the topography when I put in the plots and have a honey hole of a plot that is down in a bowl so the topography offers a screen, I combined that with tree and brush trimming and mowing to create a funnel. Does not matter the size of the land you still have to find the spot within the spot.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm jealous. the tracts I have access to are 45 minutes and 2.5 hours away. Nice to be able to keep an eye on everything. I usually have at least 5 cameras running on the properties to keep up with what is going on when I'm not there. Of course I try to get food plots in too as much as possible.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own and live on 40 acres. The north side of the property is about 15 acres of hay field with about 3 acres in the Northwest corner for my house. There's a creek that runs diagonally through the property from the Northeast corner to the Southwest corner. It's mostly all timber from the creek to the south with a 3 acre open field that I generally plant in soybeans. There's also a smaller half acre or so open area on the other side of a drainage that I have planted in clover.

kennys40acres likes this.
  5. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt ten of acres of woods surrounded by Ag fields. seen the biggest buck of my life there two ago. It is challenging to hunt small ground by I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_1180.PNG I have 20 of my own and you can see the house and buildings placements.
    There is 72 acres to the east, north east and a 40 to the back that don't get hunted so my 20 hunts larger than it is.
    It's not perfect, but it's a lot more than I ever thought I would have.

7. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Easy knock your house down and plant corn. Pitch a tent front of property or move to a subdivision

8. kennys40acres

kennys40acres Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live on my 40 too. Home at SE corner & woods at West end with crops & Creek in between. My 6 acres of woods is my sanctuary. I found over the years to stay out until the golden time, or else my deer find other places to go. I can only take one each year, not always bucks. It is great though, when I get one, walk back to the house to change clothes & drop gear, eat a sandwich & then walk back to get the deer. Blessed for sure.

9. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have lived on my pice of property for about 10 years. I have always planted the food plots but I rarely hunted them. Where I live there are not any agriculture mostly pine tickets and hardwood. I have two other places that I can hunt but I really want to set a goal this year and take some deer off my homeplace. New stand locations better feeding program and mineral sites are beginning to take place.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of the biggest detriments or advantages to small properties can be the short entrance/exit routes.

A bad entrance/exit route can BLOW them apart but their size and layout can make for some of the quickest/quietest/stealthiest entrance/exit routes imaginable.

Josh/OH likes this.
  11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

Yeah but what do you know...you just shoot dinks as some call it. LOL

That dude was a piece of work man...

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As you can see in my Avatar, I clearly hold the deer out as far from my body as possible to make them look bigger!

copperhead and tynimiller like this.
  13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    You've mastered the art of the up close bent arm "stretched stiff" approach so perfectly. Lol

Skywalker likes this.
  14. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy, his son and I have been sharing 25 acres for the past 4 seasons, so 40 sounds big rather than small. Of course I have thousands of local state land acres to hunt, if I want to compete with virtually every other bowhunter that comes 25 north of Michigan's second largest city to hunt as well. When I want to wander, I strap a stool to my pack and go to the state ground, where I eventually find a decent place to set up for an evening or two. But I never set up a treestand as they tend to "grow legs" if left up and I am not a climber stand type of guy. My dream would be to have a cabin on 40 acres that I could slowly develop into a little "honey hole", but as I continue to gain more birthdays, that has begun to sound like a pipe dream for a few good reasons. Those of you who have such better enjoy it for the rest of us that don't.

tynimiller likes this.