18-1 Blow-Through

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Bow Diddley, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I have to say that I'm not super impressed with my Rinehart 18-1. I bought it for the express purpose of having a reliable target that would hold up to broadheads. I've had it less than two weeks and I've already blown through one side using Rage practice heads.

[​IMG]

As you can see from this image, it's holding up very well to field tips. Unfortunately, the practice heads are doing a number on it. I didn't realize it because it appeared that the shafts were being stopped pretty well. It wasn't until I went to hit another side that I realized I'd already blown some foam out the opposite side.

[​IMG]

The front has taken an absolute beating.

[​IMG]

I realize the target still has a lot of life and a lot of sides left, but I was really hoping for more longevity from such an expensive target. This isn't what I was looking forward to.

[​IMG]

I still think it's a good target, but this has knocked it down from the "great" category. Fortunately, these practice heads really do seem to fly like the field tips so I'll switch back, but it's nice to be able to shoot what you're going to shoot in the field (as I did with a few fixed broadheads) or at least very similar (like the practice broadheads).

Just thought I'd share in case anyone might find it helpful.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't seen any target that will take continual broadhead abuse.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck finding what you are looking for. Why do you want to shoot BH tipped arrows all the time?

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well let us know what has worked better for you, because honestly I know I would be hard pressed to find a better 100$ target then the 18-1. However I sure am willing to listen.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure the failure you are seeing on the target is the same reason why indoor shooting ranges do not allow broad heads or practice tips to be used.

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It seems to me that "broadhead" targets are only meant to be used with broadheads for occasional broad head tuning. Once the field tips and broad heads match up there really isn't any reason to keep shooting the broadheads and destroying the target.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

kurtzgreg1561 and kurveball18 like this.
  7. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I've been doing. Maybe I'm just a little slower than I should be. :)

I don't intend to shoot bh's all the time but I've never shot the Rage and I've been trying to see if they're really flying spot-on. I've had some inconsistencies and I've been trying to figure out if it's me or the practice heads.

I still think the RH is a good target. I just thought it would hold up a little better. I'll just reset my expectations.

8. Bee

Bee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking of getting one just for field points, do you think it would be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely! I'll try to snap a close-up of the side I've been beating up with field points.

And I feel my arm strength increasing from removing the arrows. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Bee likes this.
  10. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's disappointing. I've used Block targets for some time now. I usually get the crossbow version. That poor thing has seen hundreds of arrows, with and without broadheads. Still holding up strong.

11. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    I've been having issues with the phone app. Here's my most active field tip side.

[​IMG]