limb cracked

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kjstaudt86, Mar 20, 2017.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys, I am currently shooting a bowtech boss that is not even 2 years old yet. I was getting ready to target shoot this afternoon and when I got to full draw, my bow made a very loud popping crack sound so I slowly let my bow down and discovered my top limb (underside) splintered in half. What causes this?? I shoot quite a bit so is this just wear and tear or over extending at full draw? Would this be covered under warranty possibly? Any bowtech people or other manufacturers ever had this happen to their bow? Thanks in advance guys.

Attached Files:

2. Marshhunter1221

Marshhunter1221 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bowtech has been known for failing limbs. I am sorry to hear that it has happened to you. Call them and see what the company will do.

I would find a different brand of bow and not look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. kurtzgreg1561

kurtzgreg1561 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This. ^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had 2 sets of limbs experience delamination on my Bowtech. And one time it was at full draw and I punched my self in the face! I love there bows, but don't feel like getting replacement limbs all the time and reseting up the bow. I jumped ship this year and went with a new company this year and haven't looked back.

5. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Glad that it didn't explode on you! I have imagine that it is covered after only two years! But I had something similar happen to me with a bear bow although that was after 6 years of use never the less I switched and haven't looked back.

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never owned a Bowtech, and numerous complaints of this happening is why. I did not even consider a Bowtech that last time I bought a bow. Hopefully, the company will take care of you. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you are the original owner Bowtech will replace them (you will have to take it to a Bowtech dealer). If you bought the bow used you are stuck unfortunately. Bowtech's are great shooting bows but have had a real problem with limb failures for some reason. I am not sure why they can't seem to get a handle on it.

8. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Well the good news is, the bow shop I bought it from told me that It will be covered under warranty since I bought it from them brand new! They said it will be a lifetime warranty on the bow for as long as I have it. So I will be getting 4 new limbs for free! Emailed bowtech last night but have yet to get a response from them. I will keep everyone posted if they ever give me a response.

cantexian and elkguide like this.
  9. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about your limb failure. I've heard this quite a bit in the last few years for bowtech bows.

10. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer.

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why didn't the shop contact them? Bowtech usually requires you to go through your dealer for any warranty or service.

12. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I am going through my shop? I had just emailed bowtech prematurely to see what they had thought caused the problem. But my local shop is going to take care of it

13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a guy shooting next to me at an indoor range have his limb separate on his Bowtech. He was holding it at full draw and it was quite spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Are there any other brands to watch out for regarding limb failure? I feel like you could start a post about any brand bow and you'll have people that have had a negative experience about it or is bowtech really that bad on their limbs? I guess it's Kinda like buying a car, some people get the "lemons" while others can drive the same car and be fine the whole time lol.

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha. I misunderstood when you said you were waiting a response from Bowtech to your email I thought you meant you were trying to get them replaced yourself. I wouldn't hold my breath on that, lol, they aren't great at answering emails regarding warranty items.

16. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bowtech has been the most prominent company associated with limb failures I'm aware of. I've had two of their bows, so far with no issues. (Don't worry, I'm knocking on a wood desk right now). I hope I don't have any but I've heard it has more to do with their split limb bows. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Glad to hear you're being taken care of.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a limb failure with my destroyer, went to barnesdale limbs, love it.

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My understanding is Bowtech took over the limb building from their supplier and solved the problem. I'm sure they will warranty them with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I did get a quick response back today, but they couldn't tell me why it truly happened. All they told me was possibly send it back to them for inspection or back to the dealer in which I bought it from. Glad my local shop is taking care of me though!

Coop likes this.
  20. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Recurring theme with Bowtech and is partially why I gave up on them after last year. I had one do it, out of I believe 8 different Bowtech's I've owned over the years. But, the hordes of reports are undeniable. Bowtech will make it right. In some cases I've heard they will replace the bow with another model if they don't have the correct limbs, etc.

On a good note about them. They did move their limb production in house, rather than outsourcing. They finally admitted to a problem and supposedly identified what it was, making the decision to make them in house. Hopefully it fixes the issue because they are one heck of a tuning and shooting bow otherwise.

Tags: