Florida Hog Hunting

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Bow Diddley, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have experience with outfits in north or central Florida doing hog hunts? I've reached out to several and only heard back from one so far. Prices for the hunt itself are about the same but it seems some charge a good bit for cleaning/quartering.

Just curious if anyone's got someone they recommend and/or tips. I just need a quick, one-day trip to do something different during my Christmas vacation.

2. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on where you are there is a nice place in South GA called hog wild USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like they were already in my browser history. :lol: It's about 4 hours away so not too terrible. I'll give them a call.

4. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I messaged a few guys from the club in GA from the Jacksonville area to see if they know anything closer

5. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. Thanks!

6. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    I've booked a trip with West Shore Outfitters for the 29th. I'll report back how it goes. Hopefully well.

7. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    Well, had my hunt yesterday. Not much to share unfortunately.

I was in the stand by 2pm and the guide said the hogs had been moving better in the afternoons. Yesterday morning was a bust for them. I settled in and figured I'd start seeing something around the end of light. The wind was crazy at about 15mph per Scoutlook. The pine I was sitting in felt like an amusement ride. I washed everything (including myself) with scent blocker but I'm thinking they may have still smelled me.

I saw a nice covey of quail and a number of doves but never heard or saw a single hog. Back at camp the guys figured the incoming front had them bedded down instead of out and about. I was really hoping the feeder going off about 5 would be a dinner bell but nothing came of it.

Overall I was still pleased with the trip. The guides were good for what little they had to do for me. I wish I could've put them to work more. There were about a half dozen of us back at camp and only one had a hog to clean. One guy swore he got a shot on a big buck but they hadn't been able to find him.

West Shore leases 900 acres and it's super easy to get to. I can't fault them for no piggies showing up so I'm already planning a return trip for the Spring.

[​IMG]

Word of caution. When messing with broadheads, please use your head...and a wrench. Like an idiot I was trying to remove a stuck head with my bare hand. I had a wrench sitting right next to me yet it never crossed my mind to grab it. Usually the heads are just finger tight. It wasn't until I felt it slice through my flesh that I realized the errors of my ways.

I probably should've gone to the dr for stitches since it took about two hours to stop bleeding despite applying direct pressure the whole time. Unfortunately, I couldn't drive and keep pressure at the same time. I guess I could've taught my 11-y-o son to drive real quick. :) I finally managed to stop the bleeding and it seems to be doing ok. Fortunately it hasn't affected my shooting much. I just have to make sure I watch what I do with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  8. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks hope you drop one in the future.

9. xX-RHINO-Xx

xX-RHINO-Xx Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone hunted at Black Tine before? I'm planning on booking a hunt with them and I was wondering if anybody new anything about them. Thanks!

10. xX-RHINO-Xx

xX-RHINO-Xx Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy ..... Considering how bad is the population of hogs growing in the SE of Florida.

11. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm going to try to setup another trip for the end of the month. Just picked up a new Pro Defiant that needs to get some use. :)

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ouch. Did the same loosening up a 1" 4-blade slick trick. Cut three fingers.

I killed my first hog here.
    They only hunt the property one weekend out of each month. In Arcadia FL.

Archery Outfitters Florida Archery

13. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I think I looked those guys up. I need to see what they're current pricing is. 2014 is a little old. :) That's nice they don't overhunt.

Afflicted likes this.
  14. autopeep24

autopeep24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The phone number is still good with Archery Outfitters. There Florida hog hunt is no more, they lost the land rights, also the Minnesota hunt is on hold as of last year. There Georgia hunt near Bainbridge is good. Shot two hogs last year and had a batchler group of 8 pointers come in behind me while I was hanging my tree stand.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

15. Bow Diddley

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer. Thanks for the update.

autopeep24 likes this.
  16. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I took a break from my lease and went to West Shore also.

I enjoyed it, shot a pig right behind the shoulder, complete pass through and big blood trail, tracked it for about 50 yards and trail went cold, bubbles in the blood too...:confused:

Nevertheless I really enjoyed it.

Saw A LOT of hogs and I was the only one there. Its a bit of a trek for me coming from Pinecrest but worth it.

17. randy3003

randy3003 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got me 8 pigs so far this year. Might loose access to the property though, so I'm packing the tent and crossbow and going for a 5 day hog sticking safari before I do.

WillO likes this.