Colorado Disabled Retired Firefighter looking for help

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Fireman Mike, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Fireman Mike

Fireman Mike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My name is Mike... I am going to try my hand at Bowhunting despite my limited mobility. I am open to any assistance or ideas in helping me find reasonable opportunities to be able to harvest elk and deer in Colorado. With my disability pension I have little resources to pay for opportunities on private land, etc...

I have an above the knee amputation along with shoulder and back injuries which limit my movement but I have purchased a good Compound bow. My wife and I are starting to practice and improve our archery skills. I have hunted since I was about 12 years old. I took about a 30 year hiatus from elk hunting and recently started back (rifle) without too much success. I am unable to climb and scout as well as I could before my life altering accident but I'm a little mobile. I just can't hike to the top of the Flat Tops anymore.

I am terrible at asking for help as I used to be "the go to guy", this is very humbling for me to post this on this forum. I'm hoping my honesty and hopefully good karma from helping others my entire life is enough to get me out hunting and harvesting again. I am pretty excited because my wife of 35 years is actually excited to learn and take this adventure with me.

Thank you for your time and hopefully a bit of help. Any thoughts??

2. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I had a direction to point you in but I don't know much myself about the elk and such up in CO. I will welcome you to the site and say Im sorry for your situation. But I commend you for not letting it stop you from what you want to do. Don't ever stop moving forward. Once you let the grass grow under your feet, before you know it its growing over your body. Stay living.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have only hunted elk once and I am not from Colorado. Are you looking for Scouting tactics, tag info, or strategies? I would suggest checking out Randy Newberg's elk series on youtube. Corey Jacobson's elk101.com is a good resource as well. I learned alot from them. I am not close enough to hunt CO or I would be happy to take you.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. Dutchd

Dutchd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No guarantees but I reached out to a friend of mine on your behalf. Will be in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Fireman Mike

Fireman Mike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for reaching out!

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions so far. To clarify I am looking for ideas for areas to put in for our draw seasons as I need to put in the application the first week of April for the fall deer and elk seasons.

I am interested in ANY help.

Locations for sure right now... then any and all ideas and techniques for bow hunting deer and elk.

I have over 40 years hunting experience with rifles and shotguns. Only a few years hunting elk, 40 years hunting mule and whitetail deer. Zero Bow hunting.

Thanks again to all!

Mike