Heavy clay soil

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by DVO, Mar 1, 2017.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So your course of action is to tell the guy to do a soil test or go to hell.
    That's constructive. What if he already has a soil test? How would his soil test results impact any advice you would give him?

His question wasn't that complicated. I don't know what you do for a living but you must be quite an asset.

2. MoBuckChaser

MoBuckChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You the message board police?

3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Answer my question and I'll answer yours. Maybe that way we'll at least find some way to constructively contribute to the thread.

How would his soil test results impact any advice you would give him? Again, he asked if a clover mix is something he should look at. Do you know of any other crops that may tolerate wet clay in his climate? We can draw some assumptions as to his soils based off his post of what he planted and the pic. I mean unless you're going to stick with the, "soil test or go to hell" strategy.

4. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    You can draw all the assumptions you want. I won't!

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know the very first thing you mentioned was not caring about soil tests right now... BUT YOU NEED TO GET A SOIL TEST!!!!!! Happens in every single thread posted in this Foodplot section.

Thread topic: "What mineral do you think I should use?" Response: "YOU NEED TO GET A SOIL TEST!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Granted it's nice to have a soil test, you have guys like Brad and Covey who have experience and can offer sound advice.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Red Clover and winter rye works well

[​IMG]

Brassicas work well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sure, your plots are going to have standing water much of the time. Your plots will turn a little yellow if you get a lot of rain. They won't be the prettiest plots in the world. You won't make the cover of QDMA magazine. But with the right approach and soil amendments you can grow stuff to feed deer. But keep in mind there is a reason the land you are on was not cleared to farm a long time ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope that helps. You just need realistic expectations.

7. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To Stop the crazy way my thread turned I will say this...
    I said don't tell me about a soil test in my opening post because I'm sick about hearing about them in EVERY food plot post. I had already planned on doing that so it was taken care of already. So that is why I said that in the opening post. I know it's important.

All I wanted to know was what people have had real world success with in heavy wet clay soils so I had some plants to start with. I would take it from there trying to make it work for me. I also don't have access to big machinery so that adds a little extra work to my end of things.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Nice...so it's stick with the "soil test or go to hell" philosophy. I guess that works too.

Truth is that it really doesn't matter if that clay soil is super rich or if it's super poor, the fact that it's wet clay in a short growing season environment with timber is going to severely limit the options. Soil test all you want, you'll eventually end up in the same place.
    Obviously the PH isn't so low that nothing will grow based on his pic. It may be really low but it's not pure acid. This is the assumption I alluded to. It's pretty likely anything that can tolerate wet clay conditions there will come up and grow in that soil no matter what his PH reading realistically is. Will it reach it's full production potential, probably not but that wasn't what was asked for.

So I'll answer your question. Nope, not the forum police, the forum officer was already present in a post up from yours and said to get back on track. I thought it was common courtesy to try to help answer the OP question.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Do you constantly bi*ch at everyone if they don't do what you say?

10. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:

Try some Alsike and chicory mixed in next time Brad. Looks good Buddy!

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Thanks Mo. Honestly I've never tried chicory. I thought I read somewhere or was told it didn't like wet feet either.

But I have tried Aslike and it grows but the deer don't seem to like it nearly as much as the red. And since I can grow red my thought process is to stick with that.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Come on man, stop...this is embarrassing. You weren't being *****ed at, you were disagreed with and kept pushing a bad position and still are. Have some self respect and let it go and let the thread stay on topic. This is me giving you a chance to exit gracefully. If you have nothing of use to add to the thread, you're just wasting bandwidth.

You can have the last word if you want to keep pushing the thread off topic, I'm finished with this nonsense.

13. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing likes wet feet for a long time other than Canary grass. But Chicory seems to not get [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phytophthora like some of the other plants that will germinate and then are gone right away. Lots of guys think they drown out when its really a fungus that wipes them out. I like Med Red a lot because it grows everywhere up here in MN and Scony. And on some pretty suspect ground![/FONT]

14. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a very different soil behind my house, almost a peat type of black soil that's always wet. With the excessive moisture here I've done very well with chicory and brassicas. While mine isn't perfect, I suspect I don't have the PH issues you likely do though.

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I see your organization's reputation is thriving. LOL Keep sending your money in to that cash cow waste!!!!!!!!!

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/lifetime-qdma-membership.7299/