Whats the best decoy for the price?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ernmcburn, Mar 9, 2017.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting turkey decoys. What type do I need, and what's the best for the price?. Since I'm with my grandpa we will be stationary most of the time.

2. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I look for shiny eyes if going cheap. I bought a few avian x decoys and if I could go back, I would have just spent the money on DSD products. The Avian x are good, bt those DSDs are awesome.
    But....true story, I left my black shirt balled up on a couple arrow shafts and a tom came to it...while I was stalking another bird. Didn't pay any attention to it until I crested the hill and we both starred at each other. Don't know why he did, but it happened.

tree_ghost likes this.
  3. greyreddirt

greyreddirt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's all gonna going to come down to price and functionally. If you want to spend $50 on a jake and hen then maybe look into Primos. If you want really high end you have to go with the DSD's. I personally have the Montana Decoy hen and jake combo. About $100 at most sporting goods story's. Real feather cuts that move in the wind. Very light weight so you can carry them in your vest or day pack. They also are posable which helps in various strategies throughout the season.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Subbed.

Looking for a full strut decoy and a hen to use this year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. tree_ghost

tree_ghost Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's a wealth of knowledge in this story above. While there are some beautiful decoys on the market these days, many a lonely Tom have died coming in to a cheap foam hen. Yes decoys are another tool in our arsenal that we can use to accomplish the desired end result, but just like in the story above, often times the correct set up is what makes you or breaks you. Use whatever decoy gives you the most confidence in the field as a hunter.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really looking into the montana Jake and hen, but that's a big dent is the wallet. At least for me

Sent from my VS880PP using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

7. greyreddirt

greyreddirt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Keep an eye out on Gander Mountains website. I bought mine from there when they had a 20% off a $100 or more purchase. It'll save you a little bit of money.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    A couple years ago I waited until the last minute to buy decoys and everyone was sold out of both DSD and Avian-X. I opted for a set of "Snood" decoys from H.S. and have been very happy with them. We've killed I think 4 or 5 birds over the hen/jake combo the past 3 seasons. They look good, are durable and won't break the bank.

Remember people were killing plenty of birds with foam decoys that were wrinkled and bent at odd angles for years. I love the idea of the ultra-realistic deke, I'm just not sold on the fact that it's worth the money.

9. Hammerin Hank

Hammerin Hank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely agree.

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked these up a few days ago. Good price for the combo hen / jake. $49.99 with a $10 rebate. Gonna give them a shot and see how they work. Color looks pretty good but the white on the jake rubs off a little easier than I expected. I stuffed some old shirts in them and set them out in the sun. They popped back into place just fine.

http://www.basspro.com/Primos-Gobbstopper-Turkey-Decoy-Combo/product/1511021700/