Fitness tips

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by charleshibner92, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    At 24 you should still have a good metabolism. Mine slowed after 30.

When I was in college I lost a ton of weight by doing these things:

1. Never eat fast food.

2. Do eat 3 healthy meals a day.

3. Portion control.

4. Cut out soft drinks.

5. Cut back on alcohol I.e . Make it a weekend treat.

6. Went running on a regular basis. At my peak I was running 5 times a week. Now I only run on an average of 3 times per week, 4 if I'm motivated.

2. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was low carbing, but our trip to Manila totally wrecked that. Got back, and found out I was going to travel for work 2 weeks out of 3, so didn't even bother. I've been going to the gym 2-3 times a week since first of January. Structured workouts... One night bi's/tri's, one night chest/tris, legs/abs, etc. Mix in a night of HIIT. I've gotten stronger and stamina increased noticeably in this short time. I'm 53, and I can tell you it helps... The only exercise I had in the last 15 years was walking or hunting chores. I wish I had done this sooner. I'll get the diet back on track in two weeks. But the workouts help this old man, a LOT.

addendum... I got my wife to start going first of January. She doesn't need to lose any weight, 5-8 and 130. Love our workouts together. Hard workouts, dread going, but go and "suffer" together.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  3. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Take advantage of everyday opportunities to burn calories. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Everywhere you go, park as far from the door as is reasonable. When you gas up, use the farthest pump and walk inside to pay. I work out three days a week and I'm thoroughly puzzled by people who will do their best to park as close to the gym door as possible. They're going there to work out right? If you're at a gathering where you have to eat some, take small portions. Don't hesitate to mention that you are on a weight loss/fitness kick. (Don't push it. You'll make some people feel guilty.)

It can be done. I'm four foot seven and 72-73 pounds. I went up to 86 pounds during pregnancy, but my hip size remained the same. I have incentive. I have to buy my clothes in the children's section. It's hard enough to find stuff suitable for a grown up, without being relegated to the chubby sizes.

My husband lost 15 pounds after I moved in. I'm a good cook, but we eat Japanese style. Meat and fish in small portions, mostly vegies and some fruit. Rice is our staple, but we eat with chopsticks-hard to stuff your face when you eat that way.

4. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is alot of great advice here but 1 I would like to add . Detox your colon. One of the best method I use is 100% Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and organic raw honey. Take 8 oz of clean warmed water and add 2 table spoons of honey and 2 table spoons of Apple Cider Vinegar mix well and drink 2/3 times a day. First thing in the morning on an empty stomach maybe an hour before breakfast. There are a ton of great Colin detox recipes on YouTube. Drink plenty of water with fresh lemon juice added on occasion during the day. Whole raw nuts like almonds and walnuts between meals. And then plenty of Apple's ,bananas and grapefruit along with vegetables. Cut out any dairy except plain yogurt with fresh blueberries for flavor. Limit red meats and keep it to wild game . Organic or free range chicken and wild caught not farm raised salmon. No white breads, white rice or pasta. Limit sugars especially and hydrogenated oils. Extra Virgin Olive oil or Avocado oil or coconut oils. Again lots of water and I bet in 3/4 weeks you will begin shedding weight guaranteed :bhod:

5. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WHY? Have you seen his colon?

6. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a link to a site.. Listen to the podcast. It's all about eating not what you've been told in the past.
    I follow the teachings of Vinnie and it works. You dont have to buy anything it's a free podcast. Calorie counting is old and doen't work it leaves you starving. Check about the podcast and start learning the truth about food. The best podcast are when be brings in doctors and experts, so check those out before you make up your mind.
    http://vinnietortorich.com/

7. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LMFAO ! No smart A$$ :biggrin: But cleansing is important along with controlling insulin. Lower insulin and you will burn fat .

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I understand the insulin relationship to Glycogenesis/Gluconeogenesis/Glycogenolysis. I was referring to the colon cleanse.

9. santiago0072002

santiago0072002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best advice I can give you is that anything that you do is better than doing nothing. Routine is the enemy, meaning do something different every day, that way you are always entertained looking forward to what's next. One day go for a 1 mile run and time it to see how long it takes you, do 50 burpees for time and use that as a bench mark, look at videos to see how to do things correctly, I like Crossfit.com, also coach Don McCauley who trained Sheryl Halworth, one day do cardio, meaning run, bike, swim or row, the next day do some lifting. And lastly: if you don't grow it or kill it don't eat it. Try for about a month if you want. Can you grow pizza? No, then don't eat it, eliminate bread half of the time for a month. Eat all the meat you want, there are all kinds diets out there. It is like politics but worts. You don't know what's going to work unless you try.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Calorie counting doesn't work? Bold claim please explain.

11. santiago0072002

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly will not be happy counting how many almonds I can eat, or limiting my self if I am hungry. At certain levels calorie counting might works but realistically, who would want do deny bacon and eggs first thing in the morning? Or limit how many bacon strips you can eat? I love paleo and having a cheat day is realistic for me to drink beer or what not. But then again if cavemen knew how to make ice cream they would eat it too!! Haha! Talking about diets is worst than politics.

12. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I understand, but eating a bland boring diet has nothing to do with calorie counting. In fact, I suggest that counting ones calories and macronurtients is the best way for me to ensure I am eating as much as I can while staying in a caloric deficit and preserving lean muscle mass.
    I think being overly restrictive in what one eats, demonizing certain foods and limiting oneself to "clean" foods is unnecessary and unsustainable over the long haul.
    Learning about food, nutrition, physiology, and biochemistry will give you the most mileage over the long haul but require time and dedication and a level of interest most do not have.
    The reality is there are many ways to lose a few pounds but making long term change requires one to find what works for you. At the end of the day the same rules apply, consume a caloric deficit to lose, consume maintenance calories to stay the same, a caloric surplus to gain. I would suggest resistance training as a way to help preserve lean muscle mass(metabolically active tissue) in addition to engaging in some other activity for general health benefits.
    I agree talking politics and Nutrition/weight loss are challenging conversations where the facts are often buried by somebody with an agenda.

13. santiago0072002

Dislikes Received:
    Agree 100%

14. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a suggestion all should take YouTube Dr. Darren Schmidt . He is an expert in nutrition and how to eat and what not to eat. Losing weight is easier then you think but again if you are making high insulin levels BECAUSE OF WHAT YOUR DIET IS then you won't lose weight significantly no matter how much time you spend at the gym .

15. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I can eat nothing but cookies and lose weight. Why?

I agree most of the guys at my current gym look exactly the same as they did 10 years ago. Body composition is 80% diet, 20% gym. You can't out train poor nutrition.

16. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well not everyone's metabolism is the same ! I don't believe you live on cookies so that's a loaded statement to debunk something I stated here . But that's OK because your not the person with weight problems and since you bring it up you may believe your in perfect health but that's for another thread .

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  17. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im lovin all the advice and thoughts here its all good! Thanks so much keep it coming.. calorie counting is important eat what u want it dnt matter if as long as u dnt go over your daily aloted calories u b fine jus remeber those eating a Little Debbie huney bun or cinnamon roll is 1/4 -1/2 or your daily calories that helps me. 1 20oz coke is a lot of calories so if your trade that out for a ribye and potato and what seems to me you gain yourself.. maybe im wrong... but i do feel betr already cutting out so many cokes in a day and drinking more water.. probly the hardest is not eating as much breads as i love baked good.. In fact my mother and brother both owend bakery's and restaurants and as my father says ther is no such thing as a bad donut, if its not good jus dunk it in coffee But hey im lovn the encouragement i need it i cant remember hardly the last time i was 200# i think it was 8th grade in school and im currently at bout 287 so i would like to loose at least 50-75# . I am a big guy 5,11 and thick boned but it wouldn hurt me to loose a lot so ya keep it coming THANKS!!

18. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]. Im not sure if that is true but if it is then counting calories is a big deal..

19. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well your on the right track and that's good . But listen ! Get the high fructose sugars out of your diet . Read the labels if it has it don't drink or eat it cause it is bad bad bad . Stop eating white bread, rice and pasta cause the carbs are threw the roof and it's processed unnatural and not nutritional. OK I'm off my soap box and wish you the best. Good luck !

20. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You are exactly right. Now with that being said, there is a blood test that will determine if your body is better at metabolizing fat, carbs, or protein. But when it comes down to it, a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. The best thing about counting calories is that you are not restricted from any types of food. It just has to fit in to your daily count. There are all types of diets out there but at the end of the day you have to choose something that you can live with the rest of your life. The other diets may work for a while but do you want to live without eating fresh fruit, breads, or etc the rest of your life? Probably not. Good luck on your journey.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk