hog shot placement

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kjstaudt86, Feb 13, 2017.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys, I tried searching for a thread and was coming up empty handed on shot placement for a hog. Where is your favorite place to target on a hog with a bow? Take your pick of the spots listed on the pig picture and post where you would take it. I think next time a hog comes and out and is broadside, I will try shot B. They say that shot will be the pigs spine and they will more than likely drop there on the spot if hit.... Little room for error I realize, but I will take my chances.

[​IMG]

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would shooot C, D, or E once the pig is quartering away. What little experience I have with pigs suggests that a quartering away shot angle make the difference with a bow rather than the exact shot placement. The arrow needs to get behind the shield and that is easier quartering away.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    None with a bow for me, not the way the boar is standing. I'm only taking a quartering away shot and D would be the closest to where I'm aiming.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If using a bow E is the idea shot. It will take out both lungs and hogs rarely drop like a deer. C and D are following the leg bone up. A and B are good with a rifle but I would steer clear with bow because if you don't get brain or bone its a toss up. With a rifle the shock of the impact rattle their cage enough for a follow up if needed.

Ideally quartering away aiming at offside shoulder or slightly in front of it is money. Thats a sow so minimal cartilage build up.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    E if that's the only shot you have.
    I wait for an extreme quartering away and put the arrow right behind the shield through them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I have never tried the quartering away shot on one before... I always wait on the broadside shot. Not saying I wouldnt shoot them that way, just have never tried or had the opportunity yet. On both my pigs I have shot I was trying to aim for E and found myself hitting the shoulder bone and the other I had a gut shot on a little to far back. Both pigs I never found :confused:.

7. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    The shield is so thick in the bigger Boars the arrow does not penetrate well and if he runs off blood my be minimal.
    If blood trail enough hogs to know to make the shot count. They are tough.

Boars below 125lbs are ok the hit broadside.

8. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    with that angle I'd pass on E. believe the arrow will pass behind the diaphragm and result in a gut shot. Would probably pass on the hog entirely unless it turned away a bit to add a quartering away angle. hogs are hogs but IMO they still deserve the respect of a good kill shot.

9. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    in rereading my above post seems kind of harsh so let me clarify. The "hogs are hogs but IMO they still deserve the respect of a good kill shot" is my own belief structure that I use for my own decision process on whether to take a shot or not. Use your own criteria for your shots and best of success with it. cheers, rick

10. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I clean and eat every hog I kill.

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the ear hole LOL, but E is the best with a bow and B 2nd IMO. From experience, you do not want to try and shoot through the shoulder on a pig. They have an extra piece of cartilage behind their shoulder and it's really hard to punch through. The choice in shot placement can change quickly with the animals movements. I think everyone will agree we all want the best shot possible for a quick kill. The animal deserves it.

12. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever attempt a true head shot on a big boar? I know their skull is tough as nails and chances of getting your broadhead back are slim to none, but you'd have a dead pig!

13. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I tired a head shot on a follow up shot once the boar was down and it didn't work. Skimmed off the skull.

14. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:

WOW! Knew they were tough but I didnt think it was that tough. Good to know for future purposes.

15. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like was said, quartering away. Or wait for him to step that left leg forward to expose more vital, and aim low. Heavy hitting arrow with cut on contact fixed blade. I like the Steelforce Phatheads.

16. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen a lot of talk bout people using fixed blade vs mechanical for hogs? is there a true reason for this... do the mechanical broadheads not really open up on a thick hide for a pig and are there studies showing this?

17. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    don't know of any studies on it. from personal experience with hogs my goal is to get full penetration so I go with a 1 inch fixed blade. last hog went 20 yards. expect you'll get some input from those that prefer mechanical.

18. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    If your shot was dead on maybe but throw in a moving target and buck fever and it ain't easy.

19. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I don't prefer mechanicals as much as I just prefer the 2 inch cutting surface. And fixed broadheads with the blades steering the arrow in the front is just really wonky for me to shoot.