Halon 32 top hats how are yours configured please help..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Velvetbuck, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Velvetbuck

Velvetbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting a left tare and cant get rid of it unless my center shot is at 5/8 which is very very close to the riser. I need to know which top hats to swap around to correct this. Mine go like this top cam has slimmer on the right and larger on the shelf side and bottom cam has larger on the right and slimmer on the shelf side. So my question is how are yours and should I only move my top cams tophats and not my bottoms cause those seem right. Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated thanx alot . I just wana get it more towards 13/16 center shot.

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should start with making sure;
    Your draw length isn't to long causing your string to not track straight off the cams from poor anchor from being over drawn..
    Your arrow spine and components are correct.
    You are letting loose of the arrow with no hand torque.
    Your drop away rests linkage isn't to short.
    You are not getting any fletching contact.

Chances are your top hats are not the issue and it is one or a combination of the above.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For reference, every Mathews I've ever tuned (100+) was setup at 13/16" off the inside of the riser for center shot if setup correctly.

Set at 13/16, assure that you are using a properly spined arrow and you have clearance, then adjust top hats to clean your tear up. If you have a left tear, you move the cam left by adjusting top hats. My Halon X was pretty far off out of the box and wouldn't paper, broadhead, or bareshaft tune. I don't remember the exact tophats I adjusted to, but I guessed right on the first swap and cleaned it up perfectly by moving the cams just a hair.

I've got a Halon 32 coming, I'll post a tuning review when I get that one setup.

4. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    My spine is correct I'm shooting 350 vaps at 29 inches 390 grains ,no fletching contact at all , my draw is dead length is dead on so is ata and brace , poundage is correct, no torqing I'm getting very accurate tares I'll get a perfect bullet at 5/8 center shot but that's to close to the riser , so I called mathews they said 50 percent of the halons are doing this they told me to start with tophats on the right side shifting the cams away from riser if that doesn't work go back and set it opposite to what it was when I got it if that doesn't work I'll get a shim kit they make for the halons with 3 sizes of top hats and that will work he said but if I do get a tare after its my limb deflection is off and I'll have to send my bow to Sparta to get correct limbs put on they can't just send them to my shop cause they need to know what limbs with the right deflection to put on and they have to send it back to me. So I'm hopping when I go today and swap out my top hats it'll fix it mathews said I should be between 13 / 16 and 11 / 16 center shot that's what they recomend.

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had to swap the top hats on my Halon last year. I just wanted to make sure you went through everything else first.

If you swap top hats when the problem lied elsewhere you are only compounding your issues.

6. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx yeah I've tried everything so far to correct it even switching the cables threw the rollers the opposite way to see if it would bring the guard closer the the shelf upon drawing to clear the tare . I've seriously gone threw and done everything but the top hats so far but I'm on my way now to my shop and I'm having them just switch my top cams tophats because my bottom already has the larger hat on the right side but top doesn't so well see were that brings me. I'll let you guys know after I reset it at 13/16 and shoot threw paper when I get home. Thanx for the help

7. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you located? There are a few members here across the country that def know how to tune these things, just wondering if your close enough to one of the? If your in Northern IL, I'd be happy to help you.

8. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Northern Illinois by lasalle County right off i80 and you ?

9. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Well taking the 45 min drive to my closest proshop. We'll see what they say and I'll let you guys know what happenes after we swap the top cams top hats around. Well I have my fingers crossed I hope this works if not I don't know what to do besides order a shim kit threw mathews and go from there I guess.

10. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    If your willing to make the drive up to McHenry County, I'd be happy to help. Let's see what your dealer can do for you, and if they can't fix it you are always welcome to swing by my place. I have an entire pro shop setup in my basement and I have a couple spare tophat kits too.

11. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Well the shop swapped the top cams hats around . I'm on my way home now to reset it at 13/16 and retune and re shoot threw paper I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm hoping this works. Fingers , arms , and legs crossed lol.

12. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome thanx so much. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get home and re shoot it. The tech at the bow shop sounded very confident about this resolving the issue I hope so.

13. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On my H32 both the thinner top hats are on the shelf side. My center shot is indeed 13/16. Good luck.

14. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx so much everyone for the help especially Rick James for offering his personal shop to me to help fix my issue . I have great news I just moved the top cams hats and it's fixed . I reset it at 13/16 and the first shot is a perfect bullet hole didn't even have to move the rest at all. So I guess the halon32s tune best with both large top hats on the right side of the riser. Thanx again everyone.

15. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    First 2 shots I'm leaving it alone now
    [​IMG]
    Excuse my 5 year Olds writing lol I keep old used paper for stuff like this.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  16. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    I would say those are perfect bullet holes

17. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    I also noticed that with swappng the hats around everything lines up perfect now. My string runs down my arrow perfect and my sight is lined up perfect with the string and arrow as well. Before my arrow looked like it was to the right and my sight was a little left past my string when looking from behind the bow.

18. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work!

19. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx alot for the help.