Spring mineral questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ernmcburn, Feb 6, 2017.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How long does a trophy rock last? Putting one out this spring. And when do you your minerals out?

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have them out all year. Trophy rock lasting depends on usage and rain fall. Sometimes they last a month or two and with a lot of rain a few weeks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    From my experience, if you put any rock or block down in the spring, by the next year it will be eroded away due to snow, rain, ect. Im looking to refresh all my minerals earlier this year (March) instead of April.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A trophy rock will last longer than mineral or feed blocks. I have them out and they server the purpose of being an alternate option if I happen not to be able to get out and replenish. They don't wash away as fast. I would look for a rotting stump to cover in mineral as my best option though.

5. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like minerals that mix into the dirt (of course I will recommend Lucky 7 Trace Mineral Attractant). I have good luck using these two ways: dumping them on the ground in April and pouring a few gallons of water down. Or putting them down just before the first snow (or under existing snow if you carry a shovel) and letting the melting snow take it into the ground. If it matters to you, do realize the deer will eat a big hole in the ground.

I put down 10 lbs to start a site, add 5 more every 3-6 months depending on activity.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to keep them out. Trophy rocks seem pretty inconsistent from one to another. Some last longer than others, some deer hit harder than others and of course weather erodes them.

I think it needs to be out early to help replenish bucks from the rut and shed and does to help with fawns.

7. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will agree. The some rocks seem to last longer than others. Since they are natural and mined, I would guess some may be denser than others?

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually start putting minerals out end of February beginning of March in Virginia and North Carolina. Mainly to give them a chance to find them new and have them in place before they need them. I usually check/replenish every 2 months or so if using powders or liquid based. Trophy rock in most cases will last at least 90 days but maybe longer depending on weather and use.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know but I get one once in a while that instead of eroding away smoothly, it erodes away with a course, abrasive surface and those seem to be sparsely used by deer. They appear to have impurities in them that erode at a different rate than the majority of the rock.

Someone on here posted a pic of a yote pissing on their mineral site, I suppose that could explain it also but I've never gotten any pics of a yote doing that and since I run cameras directly over my minerals, I assume I'd get at least one pic like that if it was the cause.

10. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy of mine owns a custom cattle feed mixture company, he has the set up and most of what would go into a deer mixture.

He has told me he'd be a copacker but id have to have my own recipe. Ive thought about it but dont think i know enough about what to put in and how much, but bowhunting.com should make its own mineral mix, ive got the hook up for ya'll

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think finding the contents is an issue the problem is finding the right balance of content. Most minerals are bitter and deer won't go out of their way to eat them. Mixing them with something they will is the key.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They last about a month for me.