Anyone Hunt Peat moss Pine forest.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by remmett70, Jan 30, 2017.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I headed up north Sunday to check some cameras, scouting the trails in the snow and looking for sheds, and because I can use the exercise. I start following a fairly well use trail and come to this area where they enter into this Peat Swamp. I set up a new camera to cover this area so I should get an idea of what is moving through here after my next check in a few weeks.

The first photo below is the trail going into the Peat swamp. Second is an satelite view of the area. Third is a picture inside of the swamp.

My question is how would you hunt this. The green line is the trail through the swamp. On both sides has been clear cut about 4 years ago so there is not a single tree to put a stand in closer than 70 yards, and since it was cleared a ground blind will be sitting in the open as well. If the camera shows this to be a good travel route for bucks I want to get into the swamp. As the 3rd photo shows it wouldn't be to hard to clear some nice shooting lanes by dropping just a couple trees. The problem is, none of the trees are suitable for a stand and the ground isn't solid for a ground blind. If not for the snow shoes I'd be at least knee deep in most of the area.

My thinking is that I am going to need to build a ground level platform with 2x6 running between solid mounds of ground. The hard part is getting in and out quietly when hunting. So much of the "ground" is just peat growing over rotting trees and branches where you never know if it will hold weight or if you will break through and end up with one leg knee deep or more in water. Not sure if it would be better to mark the best trail and hope for the best or if I should build a trail out of pallets or other wood. Wouldn't want to put too much out and cut deer off that might be crossing in a different direction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would hunt the trees in the swamp, you do not need to be that high just concealed well. I hunt a similar tract outside of Black River Falls and as long as you can draw your bow comfortably you only need to be a few feet from the ground or even on the ground brushed in.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Find the white cedars in the swamp rather than the black spruce.

4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could easily see you creating a natural blind about 30 yards from the best trail. Cut shooting lanes by trimming the small branches that come off each pine. Maybe you could also hunt the edge of the swamp / pines.

5. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    How big are the trees you get in? these are only 6" at the biggest, they also are not very strong and have very weak root structure.

6. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Was thinking about a blind at the edge but from my experience the deer will stand back in the cover looking over the clearing before entering it, and usually don't just walk into the opening, they jump and run. And according to the tracks, they will go in any direction once they hit the clearing so If I can get inside it is a funnel of traffic.

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    About the same size trees, just find one with cover and go on the backside of it a few feet up. Finding one with enough cover or one that has another tree blocking the view of the deer coming should work fine. Last resort hinge cut a tree to create cover.

8. gamecamera

gamecamera Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How big are the trees if it will same size than go on the backside and stay the deer coming than you do your job.

For camera information and more updated on blow site.

www.gamecamerareview.com