Public or private land?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GoInLight, Jan 16, 2017.

1. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been in a hunting club for the last 10 years and I'm starting to lose some of enjoyment. There seems to be a lot of jealousy over who killed what and how much this person hunts.

I'm considering going the public land route, seems like it would be fun.

Anyone else have any ideas? Maybe made the transition? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Public land 100%.

Just stay mobile and light weight and as far from everyone as possible, lots of scouting.

I find it way more enjoyable then hunting over a food plot or a pile of corn.

What could be more enjoyable hunting a deer or what it eats is my thinking.

That being said there are a lot of headaches to deal with on public land, more laws you have to follow and just the crowds in general filled with the guys that think they own something just because they have hunted it before.

These are just a few of my thoughts on the subject hope it helps sir.

3. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well the things you dislike about the club will be worst on public lands. Some people act like public ground is theirs alone. Lots of thieves and very inconsiderate hunters. I find lots of dead deer that were wounded and either they could not find them or the ground shrinkage was to great to waste their horn tag. Here in Kansas during gun season lots of road hunters just driving around (gravel roads about every square mile and open country) and I have been on some Walk-in-areas and the dust was bad because of trucks circling around like buzzards.

But if you work it there can be some good hunting and you can cover lots of realestate.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love hunting. Unfortunately rude, obnoxious people hunt too. When on public ground, I try and hunt farther, longer and on week days to avoid other people as much as possible. Sometimes I drive out of my way to get to a spot that I know there won't be as many others there and I hunt in places that are miserable to get in and out of because most won't go there. Bottom line for me is that I am in it to have a good time and hunting with others is fun but only to a point. I do all that I can to be set up where it will be only me and my quarry.

What is it that they say.......

"I'm not anti-social. I just don't like people!"

5. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah for me right now it's more of an enjoyment thing. I guess it's just my competitive nature, but I sometimes feel like I'm trying to beat other people than the deer. I hate to even admit that.

Kinda feel like public hunting will free me up to focus on nothing but strategy. I also am kinda tired of trophy hunting. Hunting seemed like more fun when I shot things that pleased me, instead of having to meet the rules of someone else.

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The further you go from metropolitan areas, the better.
    Public land has it's own challenges and in ways can be more rewarding.
    But also more headaches.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on where you are and your access to public lands. I have a piece that's 3 miles from me. Several thousand acres that is managed pretty well. Problem is you still can't find a good spot without running in to other people. I had a stand stole that was cable locked on and before that some jealous hunted trashed my stand to let me know they didn't like me hunting there. I hunted another spot that is literally 2 hours from the nearest populated town. It's a nice area, but there were tons of people hunting it. I was able to get away from the crowds but it was over a mile into the spot and I don't know how in the world I would have been able to get a deer out of there if I had killed one.

With that said, there are deer there and you can kill them. I killed a pretty nice buck on that first piece of public land I talked about on the first sit a couple years ago.

8. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you will be trading one set of problems for another. Happiness comes from inside, don't get caught up in the competitive BS just enjoy the hunt.
    If your paying club dues maybe you should consider just leasing some ground on your own or with a good buddy you don't need to compete against. Good luck.

9. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch to hunting mostly public land this past season and it was a blast but I always like hunting new ground. The upside is most of the time it's free and more work then private land. Setting up stands and taking them down everyday can and does get old. Dealing with other people is a part of it and can frustrate the hell out of you but you can use them to your advantage if you play your cards right. This year I shot 1 doe and 2 bucks on public one that would have been my biggest deer in the mid 150's but I screwed up the shot. Yes the right piece is fun but do your homework

10. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like public land might not be the best option, especially if you get caught up trying to beat others. There's potentially LOT more other people to compete with.

11. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    public for me. in my area private gets way too much pressure and public has way bigger tracts of land with less pressure.

12. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to hunt public more than private because that was all I had. Now we've been able to acquire some real good private land that we have sole permission on. I know that doesn't mean there aren't people "sneaking" in but that is no different than on public ground. I've run in to all types of people on private and public ground. It is nice to have our own piece of ground that we can manage the way we want to.
    It really depends on what you have access to and what is available in your area.

13. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have done extensive public land hunting during our lengthy gun season in SC over the past eight years.

Go for it.

But you dont have to leave your club to hunt away from an unnatural food source. use a climber away from feeding sites where they travel. Its nice to park and know your vehicle isnt going to be robbed. I was lucky in that regard on PL.

14. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm paying 5k a year to hunt primo land in the black belt of Alabama and I was surrounded by other hunters and guest over the weekend. I think sometimes hunting clubs have more pressure than public land. Im going to try both this year and see which I enjoy more.

15. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find public land to be a lot of fun, as I mostly just hunt public land. Shoot whatever is a trophy to you and you'll have a lot of fun! The challenge of finding the right spots and getting away from pressure makes it all worth it as I see it, especially when it all pays off. Good luck!

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You know the more I think about all the times I've read about trespassers on peoples leases and even on their privately owned property, the more I think hunting Public land isn't so bad after all. In fact, this season I saw ZERO hunters while I was in the woods.

17. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like a horribly managed hunting club.

18. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be prepared for the pressure! Depending on your state/county. But I enjoy the challenge and find it more fulfilling once I put that tag on! Best of luck.

19. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer private but thankful for public. I have a small trac that I am the only hunter and have free reign to do anything. I have a small clover plot and have made bedding areas and lots of other work. It gives me more joy knowing the animals on my lad and taking care of my heard. The down side is a small trac doesn't take long to over hunt and every year I make this mistake. That's why I'm thankful for public. I also get caught up with jealousy but i think it comes from more internet use. I find it easier to deal with when I stay off the internet during hunting season. It's the world we live in now that we have to take pictures and blog or film everyhunt or even every animal that's killed. Now I don't mind that I actually like seeing what others are doing and I have learned a lot to and happy for them but I can't compair what's going on in their lives to mine. I think back to when I was younger when I started out hunting how fun it was and that was before all the social media..

20. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've lived in Nevada and Idaho and public land IE: National forrest and BLM Land was all I had to hunt and although that's big country I always seemed to bump into guys . I would hike into an area thinking no one is as crazy as me to come all the way up here, only to climb a high point and find a snickers wrapper and empty can of beer :lol: I now live in Southern NJ and only have federal and State lands to hunt and it's challenging no doubt but it's part of hunting here. I do what others don't and kill bucks every year. Nothing worth mounting but it is what it is . Stick with the club but maybe find some public land you can have some success with and then you can figure it out :deer: