summit razor vs lifted chevy: depression

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigEv, Jan 9, 2017.

1. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well guys, we all know how hard it is for everything to go right during a hunting season. this year i was completely snake bit. had cameras and feeders stolen off of the property and even caught a hunter on our family land. the biggest blow to my season was when my strap holding my climber in the back of my toyota popped. my climber hit the road but i was not worried. my buddy was behind me about a mile back. when he showed up i saw a look of pure guilt on his face. he "wasnt looking at the road" and smoked my climber. it completely pancaked. im glad his truck is okay, but its a tough pill to swallow because every deer i have ever killed with a bow has been out of this stand. i wanted to pass this stand on to my future kids, and it held huge sentimental value to me. being on a college budget, ill have to scrounge up the money to buy a new one. i am just glad nobody got hurt with the incident, but again, it is a tough pill to swallow.. anyways, taking recommendations on what stand i should save up and set my eye on. thanks for any input.

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anything you can afford that puts you back in the tree will work until you can get something better. Watch the classifieds on hunting forums. Good luck!

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I guess you really didn't learn anything. You knew it fell out of your truck and you didn't take the time to stop it's your own fault for being lazy. Sorry but tough learning is usually never repeated

4. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i didnt know it fell out before i got back to the highway. i did turn around but pulled over once i saw him approaching, with him so close behind, i had no way of getting back to it before he passed. it makes no sense to come here and call someone lazy. have a good one.

5. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a used Goliath for $90 last year. Was used for 2 or 3 seasons. Ended up selling it to a friend. There are good deals out there, just have to be on the look out and be ready to pounce.

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer about the stand. You'll make more memories with a new stand.

"Two is one, and one is none" when securing your stuff. It only seems redundant until one tie down fails.

7. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    You din't say that in your original post!
    No reference of you going back for it. Being sentimental is overrated, make new memories

8. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Odly enough you can find good deals on walmart.com some times.. They will even ship it to a store for free. I got my Hawk stand from there and saved 30 bucks from anywhere else... Craigslist is always a place to check for stands too..

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your stand, but I hope that's the worst thing that ever happens to you in your life. I'd still love to know how your buddy didn't see that in the road before running it over? I'm just glad it wasn't a person.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  10. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    right, i thought the same thing. thank god it wasnt a kid playing in the road. i guess he was texting or something

11. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I care about my kids too much to consider giving them an old climber. I mean, you are talking "future kids"....

12. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of stuff did you have it piled on that it fell out? Must have been a pickup or it would have been inside? The wind will not pull a tree stand out of the back of an empty pickup box so has to be more to this than what is being told. Any time someone looses property is a bad deal, especially the theft of your cameras, etc.

13. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly.

14. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed game with a dozen different bows, many stands.....including ones owned by relatives/friends....various arrow brands and types, a host of broadheads and a variety of camo patterns. It boils down to YOU, not the stand or particular piece of gear. When I read threads about "lucky socks" or whatever, I get a chuckle out of the idea that one particular item is attributed with bringing "good luck". Sorry about your misadventures, but learn from what you did wrong and don't repeat in the future. Your friend in the truck sounds like they need a ticket for distracted driving as well. Save your pennies....I was once a lowly college student too and have spent the majority of my life paying for additional endorsements or higher degrees.

15. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could have fooled me. lol

16. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The friend in the truck was probably answering the text that he got from BigEv. Probably why he didn't see it "fall" out. How can anyone not see an item as big as a tree stand in the roadway, or was he even on the road? Like I said, lot more to this than what we are being told.

17. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the internet and on the internet you always assume the worst when it comes to someone you don't know personally.

18. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    I always assume the worst even if I know the people. I called BS on this thread from the word go.

19. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about that, its not like he said he was a disabled veteran and asked for people to go to a Go Fund Me page to help finance his next Summit.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do think a 2 page pity party is enough, consider it an opportunity to buy a new stand and a chance to learn to put the phone down while you drive.