spitfire xxx and spitfire maxxx

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by kjstaudt86, Jan 10, 2017.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at making the switch to one of these 100 gr broadheads this year. I didnt realize up until a couple days ago they did not make or come with a practice broadhead for them? If they do make a practice head for this could you guys lead me in the right direction. For the guys that have these, do you feel comfortable shooting a couple of these to sight in your bow at a target and then reusing for game animals?? Seems as if the blades would start to dull a little bit shooting it even at a foam target? I guess If they truly fly like a field point, you just trust they will be on target. I've just been used to practice broadheads the last couple years is what i am used to going off of.

Thanks guys!

2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Maxx and have been for years.
    They shoot just like field points. I originally bought 2 packs and sacrificed 1 as a practice tip. you can get a few shots out of one and reuse to hunt, but the blades will break off eventually. Once I kill a deer w/ one, I turn that into a practice head as I do not bother to replace blades. I swear by the Maxx and will shoot nothing else. However, I did have a pack of XXX given to me... same BH.. just 1/4" larger cutting diameter.

3. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:

Appreciate the advise. I'm shooting the 2 and 3 blade shwacker now. I've had complete pass through with them but the damage looks insane with the maxxx or xxx.

4. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I traded a fellow on Archery Talk a pack of Magnus Stingers for a pack of regular NAP Spitfires to test out for turkey hunting. Put one in my whitetail quiver this fall and dumped a big doe. Then put 3 others on the ground with Spitfires.....one with hand resharpened blades. I don't see why a regular 100gr Spitfire practice head would be any different from the Maxx or whatever to shoot for pre-season practice. I bought a practice head on sale from Midway after seeing what the Spitfires do to deer, as I DON'T want that happening to my BH target......:lol:

5. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    the spitfires Maxx destroy them... I've killed some big deer w/ them and most have all dropped w/in sight or I at least heard them drop close by if thick.

6. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i know this broadhead definitely is not on here but seeing as its made by the same company. what do you guys think about the NAP double cross broadhead? it seems like alot of moving parts but i just want some input cause i have been looking at all three of them.

7. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    would anyone like to share their damage pics done to the deer by these two BH (xxx or maxxx) in question?? Pictures are worth a thousand words is what they say! lol

8. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy shoots the doublecross and killzone.. he shot a couple of bears this year w/ the double cross and they crushed them... nasty holes.

9. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy shoots the doublecross and killzone.. he shot a couple of bears this year w/ the double cross and they crushed them... nasty holes.
    for some reason I cannot post pics... I do have some kill pics from the Maxx... nothing showing crazy carnage though. The deer in my avatar was shot by one... I blew it through the shoulders and the red stop on the pic side is where it started to exit the other body... blew through everything...

10. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hmmm ok. i think i will try the double cross and see what happens. But i'm definitely open to options so im gonna keep the BH in mind as well.

11. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:

Do you use the trophy tip or COC? I like the trophy tip in my personal opinion!

12. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to prefer the COC, but seem to be more difficult to find lately. Right now I have a pack of each

13. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Spitfire Maxx COC and the blood trails have been insane. One of my shots on a 7 point was a little far back from what I wanted but I punched the trigger and he only went 80 yards before piling up. I'll have the Spitfire Maxx's COC on the front of my arrows again next year. The 5 point in my avatar went 90 yards before going down. I like what I've seen from the Spitfire Maxx's so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:

Do you feel like the COC holds up? After a shot through a deer are you able to reuse? Only reason I was considering trophy tip was for reliability for reusing purposes. Just seeing if its a "one and done" BH.

15. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never use any of my spitfires (either tip) twice... I turn a used one into practice tips.

16. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like it holds up very well. I have not tried the trophy tip, but the COC are still very sharp and haven't found an issue with any of mine after shooting a deer. I'll probably only use each head twice, unless I see something wrong with it after the first hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

17. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to the MAXX Crossbow tip late this season. Was using fixed blade and a friend who also works for a sporting goods store suggested I try them. He has used them for years. Also mentioned you can remove the blades and shoot just the point and they will hit exactly like it will with the blades on. Will also hit like the same weight pointed FP. Never got a deer this year so can't tell you how they do in action.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017