NAP splitfire fail?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DVO, Jan 10, 2017.

1. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I posted in the crossbow thread too but no responses. My dad shot the bucks of a lifetime on Sunday. The deer went 200 yards and tipped over and with the snow it was easy tracking. But when he went and looked for the bolt he found 75-80% of it at the impact location with only 1 blade left on the head. The other two were blown right off. The arrow was laying on the snow so they didn't blow off from hitting the ground. The fletching only had blood on about 1" of the 3" vanes and was laying farther away. Temps were single digits below zero with wind chills in the -20 range. The hole in the deer is between the size of a quarter and half dollar. It honestly looks like sharp field tip killed the thing. He didn't hit any major bones. Both holes are right behind the front shoulders.

Anyone have an idea of what happened. He said the sound the arrow made when it hit the buck was very loud. But it was also his first archery deer so he might not have expected that crack from the arrow hitting home.

IMG_8226.JPG

[​IMG]

2. PROTECTOR

PROTECTOR Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would say some type of broadhead failure. Seems like it had to hit bone to cause the blades to break off. Either way, it got the job done on a beautiful buck! Congrats to your dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i'd agree w/ Protector... I've shots dozens of whitetails w/ Spitfire Maxx broadheads. Some have broken... some have been fine...
    However, after I kill a deer with one, it becomes a practice head for me anyway. They do the damage, but the blades are one and done on killing in my opinion.

4. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our worry was more how it seems the two blades blew off on impact with the hide since there is no evidence they made it into the body cavity. Just seemed odd so I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a beautiful buck I am glad he was able to find him. I wasn't there but generally that loud sound is indicative of a solid bone hit. The blades shearing off too would indicate that.

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya... not sure what could have happened... I have never experienced that...

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't either. I've been shooting 3 blade 100gr Spitfires from my CB since 2002 and have never had any issues at all, and that's after about 20 kills. Love em.

8. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He is happy he found the deer and with the snow the blood wasn't hard to follow but it just seemed to me that for the shot placement the hole should have been the size of a baseball and the deer should have only made it 60 yards not 200. He is nervous about using them again next year especially in the super zero temps.

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dandy! Where was entry and exit? Looks like a lot of fat on the arrow

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great deer. I've never had an issue with spitfires even on bone. I had one pass through a deer and lodge in a tree root and not so much as a bent blade. May have been a defect? I'd give NAP a call. They may have an answer.