New to Maryland, New to Bow Hunting. Need help/advice.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by hornca, Jan 6, 2017.

1. hornca

hornca Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have recently separated from the Navy and have moved to Maryland to be close to my wife's family: I'm a West Coast guy at heart. I have also decided to take up bow hunting since the hunting geography and population density is much different in Maryland than Oregon. The problem is, I do not know anyone out here with land and I cannot afford to drop $5k or so on some of these Craig's List adds for exclusive hunting rights to some guy's farm on the Eastern Shore. So, public hunting lands are my only option.

While hunting over bait is legal in Maryland, it is not on public property. Neither is leaving up a stand.

There are three weeks left in the season and I would appreciate any/all advice or help anyone can give.

I've been hunting the Central Region in Maryland, but I am not opposed to a little bit of a drive.

Thank you.
    Caleb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would purchase a climber stand hit the public land early and go for a slow walk in the woods looking for a spot were multiple trails come together by a food source. Mark that location on a hunting app like hunt stand and set up in a tree close by man. That is what I would do cause the deer now are set on shelter and food. I would try to locate one of those with multiple trails coming together. I hunt on public land also outside of my privite land. I do this on all three public lands that I hunt here in ohio.

Your friendly neighborhood Bow Hunter

3. hornca

hornca Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you very much for the reply. Currently I have been employing a super slow walk/stalk method, or sitting on the ground with good 3D camouflage. Granted, since I don't have a deer yet, this may not be the best method. Do you think the tree stand is absolutely essential? Lugging around the extra 20-30 lbs is kind of what's a hold up for me. Also, I wonder about sitting some and "hope" a deer just happens to wander by.

4. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've done many spot and stalk hunts. And still sit and wait on the ground at times. Both work well. You can do either successful. If the land your on is not very large I would stick with the sit and wait. Find the food source and bedding areas then locate interesting trails, then locate a ambush site that you can sit at that keeps you concealed or that you blend in well (with 3d camo that won't be hard) between the two. You could also set up close to one of those two areas, I would choose food personally to avoid spooking any deer in their bedding area. Sounds like you got the right idea just stick it out man and they will come. Once the season ends start doing your scouting for next year. If your going to remain on the ground build some good ground blinds out of the natural resources in a couple of spots, it beats purchasing a expensive ground blind plus it gives me personally a since of pride when a deer is taken from something I built by hand. Just keep pushing man and you'll tag one.

Your friendly neighborhood Bow Hunter

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What county are you hunting? I'm up in cecil

6. hornca

hornca Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure of the county, but I have been hunting the Mercer Property and Soldiers Delight (Zone 1). Both are part of the Patapsco State Park (Owings Mills-ish)

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I know were you are. I think its Baltimore county. I have been there to ride my bike never to hunt. I'm about 45 minutes north of you. This time of years is very difficult to hunt from the ground. The deer will spot you walking from a long ways out. My best advice would to look for little pockets of wood that is to thick to walk in. That means no one else is walking thru there. Look for large green briar patches along field edges, deer will stay in the woods til dark eating forage and green brier. Then after dark start moving out to fields look for anything green. If you can find a secluded thicket, you will find deer. It may even be right next to a bike/walking trail, or between to trails. Deer are smart and know to stay down while people are using the trails, but once you leave the trail and head in they flee!

8. hornca

hornca Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you.

9. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you live?

10. hornca

hornca Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Crownsville (right outside of Annapolis)

11. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Crownsville CWMA...some good deer down there and very little presure outside of gun season.....and what's your military background? PM me that info if you'd like.

12. hornca

hornca Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. You've heard good things about CWMA huh? The older guy at Bass Pro didn't like it much. I'll give it another look though. That's right up the road which would be convenient.

12 years as a Navy Surface Warfare Officer (ship driver): USS Monterey, USS JFK, ATGMIDPAC, USS Cole, TSC Hampton Roads.

13. hornca

hornca Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you're interested in more information, I'll gladly PM you details. That was just kind of the 30k foot readers digest version.

14. StringJumper

StringJumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Maryland...Montgomery County...start talking to private land owners...anybody with 3 or more acres and even a little bit of cover is going to have deer on their property...deer are an absolute nuisance to suburb land owners between Baltimore and D.C.

While you are developing those connections...public land is your only option...been there...scout, scout, scout...get in deep and hunt weekdays if you can.

Might have a tougher longer drag but
    It beats getting interfered with.

Packing a climber in is a nuisance but sometimes part of the equation. Find a light one.

Good luck in the rest of the season.

15. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Public land is tough but fun in Maryland I spent many many days in dans mountain killing whitetail. As far as public land, I lived in Carroll county and got permission from many. After a year it was like shooting fish in a barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also check out the Frederick watershed. A lot of people will tell you to stay away but if you learn the area there are possibilities. Just don't shoot a liberal because you'll see more of them at first!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums