"I dont shoot a crossbow because I'm a man" <----these guys

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by jacob, May 15, 2014.

1. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No issue with shooting crossbow. I personally don't believe it belongs in archery season, but I do recognize the benefit of getting more people involved in hunting and the crossbow is a bridge to that end.

2. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to store and buy an xbow, some bolts and a bag of corn. Go to woods and dump corn on ground and sit down 50 yards away and be ready to skin a deer. It is so simple and easy. Thousands do it every year.

Mostly just a few deer are wounded and some even tagged. While a crossbow sighted in is easy to shoot and hit a target you still have to get a deer within range... know the range... get that awkward thing up and on target... make sure nothing is going to interfere with the limbs then shoot a deer... trail and start skinning.
    Just because someone starts out this way does not mean they may not progress into a better hunter. Some never will. The greater shame is not allowing those few the opportunity to get into the woods to become more. Most of these hunter - want -to -be 's just lack a mentor and doing the best they can. I use a crossbow, recurve and a compound to archery hunt and have taken many deer with all three. Each have advantages and disadvantages but none mean a deer will come within range.

Stop bashing them and help them become more. Arkansas was one of the first States to allow crossbows for use in archery season and they have more deer than ever.
    Arkansas had to pass a law for min age to deer hunt when a 18 month old tagged his first deer in youth hunt.

3. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Ohio where they allow crossbows to be used during archery season. I have hunted both with a compound and a crossbow, both are unique in their own way. Regardless this is a bow, a piece of archery equipment that like a traditional bow or the modern compound shoots a arrow into it mystical flight throu a string. I love shooting both. But I remember talking to a old hunter that remembers when compounds first came around and they were saying the same thing about compounds back then. Now look at the equipment you have for your compound bow, it's amazing. The point I'm making is that with time the equipment that we are offered to use will evolve, it is our choice to grow with it or not, but don't down those that choice to use the more advance equipment for it doesn't necessarily mean they will have more of a advantage. The better question is does it really matter what equipment we use to hunt or is it more about the ethics we use to hunt?

Your neighborhood Bow Hunter

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with both very happily.

5. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a crossbow during early antlerless firearm season and that's it. I mean deer are already hard enough to kill for an animal as it is, so why not make it easier? My grandpa uses one with an automatic cocker for shoulder issues. I don't see a problem with using one.
    I personally like a challenge so I use a compound, I like them more too, I don't really know why. But all in all, I'd say use one if you got one!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. John The Hunter

John The Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my story.

I had to finally admit that I "sucked" with my vertical bow. Truly sucked. Four wounded bucks each of the last 4 seasons.

I bought a crossbow because I felt I owed it to the deer. This past season, took a buck and a doe with the x-bow. Both swift kills. Both shots at about 10 yards.

Just as satisfying, if not more given my history. Just as exciting, as the deer were close. Neither was a "gimme" because deer never cooperate by coming from the proper direction or walk directly into the shooting lane. Lots can still go wrong.

My story, and I'm stickin' to it.

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  8. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

is that the Vengence from Barnett or the Bear Crossbow Tony?

also on the topic...I was always 1 of those who felt like they should only be used by the young, women, etc...but after shopping around this past summer for 1 for my 10yr old Son and having sighted it in for him, I began to get attached to it. Honestly speaking it made hunting fun again...(and before anyone says hunting is fun regardless, I know it is), but doing the same thing year after year and the same methods can get a bit boring...so with that said, Ive experienced things this season with my Son (and by myself with his Crossbow) I never tried before...things like hunting out of groundblinds, regular ground hunting...hunting when it was colder or more windy then I had in seasons past.....I still use my Compound though and will never give that up, but I also know I'm a grown man and Praise God thus far a healthy 1 too but I will be using a Crossbow as well from here on out too.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is a Bear Fisix FFL

And i totally agree with your post!

10. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

That's a really nice looking Crossbow Tony... I'm going to be getting 1 when tax time comes and I really love the look of the Reverse Bows... and being a Bear guy I'm going to have to look at that... do you like it?

11. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's awfully heavy... I will use it for ground hunting and stuff like that

I haven't shot it yet either as I just got it....9.9 pounds I think

12. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you need to hit the weights :evilgrin:

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And sit down when you pee so you don't hurt yourself.:lmao2:

buzzkillsilencers likes this.
  14. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds kind of heavy compared to others, shotguns and hi powers. I thought my new Jackal was heavy at 7.7 lbs. Then add the scope weight. Need to get a sling on it to carry in and out. Haven't shot mine yet but may try sighting it in later this morning. 12° this morning and my old bones don't like that cold much any more.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That extra 2 pounds is a lot, contrary to what the jokesters say ... lol

That 9.9 is with everything in it

16. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What's everything? A bolt?

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've told him to get in shape...but you know those hard headed NY-ers :D I think he need a goal like an elk hunt...

18. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being in shape is a matter of opinion. Lets remember what these "weight lifters" say today and look at them when they turn 70 and can't lift any more. All that "shape" turns to flab.

19. buzzkillsilencers

buzzkillsilencers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Get you some Buzzkill silencers for it. It will be alot quieter!!

20. buzzkillsilencers

buzzkillsilencers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree because offhand at 50 I can keep them inside a solo cup top and I think that would be hard for me to do with an Xbow