Hang On Stand and Sticks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by greatwhitehunter3, Nov 23, 2016.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    $65 for stand and $23 for lifeline. Should be set.

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Cabela's

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm buying a few of theses Rivers Edge big foot hang ons. Very comfortable seat. Real big platform and foot rest makes a big difference for long sits. I own a few of their ladder stands and really like them.
    Rivers Edge Big Foot TearTuff XL Lounger Hang-On Tree Stand - 667266, Hang On Tree Stands at Sportsman's Guide

I like climbing sticks of theirs that angle up and have double steps. The angle feels really secure when climbing and double steps are great for hanging the stand or working in it. These are sold out so I bought the single angled step but you may find them else where.

Rivers Edge 15' Connect-N-Climb Climbing Stick - 608418, Climbing Sticks & Tree Steps at Sportsman's Guide

I bought the hunters safety lines a few weeks ago when they were 40% off.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

5. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Prepping sticks and stands for the woods.

Before I take anything stands or sticks to the woods I'll prep them and out them together as much as I can at home so they last and stay quiet.
    Things I'll do.

Any open ends of the square metal I'll stuff some papers towel just inside to seal off them squirt hot glue into the opening to keep water and bugs out.
    Any metal parts that insert into each other and touch I'll put a piece of duck tape so the metal doesn't touch and start squeaking.
    For hang ons with steels cables holding up the platform I'll add 2nd cables made of stainless steel for back up.
    I also will use stainless steel bolts and cables to secure the stand directly to the tree along with the straps so should a strap break the stand still cannot fall.
    Cloth I'll Scott guard real well.
    If using camo cloth I keep it doubled up so it's doesn't blow around so much and lasts much longer.
    I also attach some Home Depot cotton tool aprons to the armrest or Gun rails to hold phones and stuff.
    Attach pull rope.

Hope this helps.

6. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to ask what guys do to close up the open ends on sticks. Might see if I can find some plastic caps but that'll get pretty spendy.

7. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get a can of spray foam. Personally I don't do anything to mind.

8. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    All my older sticks are rusted out inside from water getting inside and sitting.

9. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My xop sticks came with black plastic caps in the ends of each stick so I'm good.

Maybe put a call into xop and see if they will sell you some of the caps they use on their sticks, should fit your sticks, seems like all climbing sticks are made of the same type and size of square tubing.

10. Tylerray619

Tylerray619 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  11. wildlifebioLU

wildlifebioLU Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do run and gun setups exclusively right now. This past season I hunted with a hawk helium xl and 4 hawk helium sticks. Total weight is around 25-26lbs with straps. I love this setup, and would recommend it to you since the price point is basically the same as purchasing heavier permanent stands and sticks. That way, if you do decide to go mobile, you won't have to buy another setup. The stand is $119 and the sticks run you about $130 for 4. I'll provide a breakdown of my setup below.

Sticks:The sticks nestles together well, were lightweight and very easy to use. They have some advantage over the lone wolf IMO since they have two sided steps. I think the heliums weigh 2.8lbs and the lw weighs 2.5, but I'm planning to do a mod this year, exchanging the hardware on the heliums for Versa buttons. Doing this gives me the option to use a quiet rope instead of the heavy strap. This will reduce total weight by more than a pound which will payoff on my 2 mile public land hunts.

Stand: the helium xl was actually not my first choice since I was trying to keep weight to a minimum. I orders the regular helium that is 10 lbs, but waited months for it to be out in stock, and finally I cancelled and got the xl since it was already November. I have grown to love this stand. Its large platform is rock solid in the tree, its memory foam seat is great, and it's only 12lbs. I highly recommend. However, if you wish to JUST have a stand you leave up all season, I'd look at one with a recliner style seat. Hawk kickback stands are supposed to be really nice. I have actually sat in a millenium m100u and it is by far the most comfortable stand I've ever sat in. Do a little work to quiet the squeaky platform and it's a great stand. It actually weighs more than the 11.5 lbs it claims according to many people on forums. Apparently it's 14-15 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Rogers has M25's on sale for $69.99.

13. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Used the Rivers Edge sticks last year. Great sticks with the no slip texture, ends tapering up. Did not like the buckle & strap set up so that got replaced with a set of ratchet straps, 1500 lb breaking point from TS. Works a lot better.

14. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Orschelsn Farm & Home had some in the back room here a couple weeks ago. SW Iowa

15. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    May give Rocket Steelheads a try this year...