Looking for pricing input from bowhunters

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Innovative Outdoorsman, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the past we have asked for bowhunter input on pricing of new products. For the most part it was a beneficial endeavor so we are asking again.

This time we are looking to this community of bowhunters to provide input as to a fair price point for a broadhead target we are currently prototyping. Currently we are considering local markets due to the large size (40" x 35" x 20" and 28 Lbs) so shipping would be pretty steep. These targets are made from layered ethafoam in varying densities from 1.7 to 4 Lbs sq/ft as well as a rubber core.

Below is a video detailing the particulars about the targets, please watch and provide input as to a fair price point while we ponder what to name them. We have more than enough local testers (plus we are shooting them) so we are not looking for product testers. We know what our costs are but if the fair MSRP point does not leave much margin there is no point in taking it further.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. adkhunter1590

adkhunter1590 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'd think for a target that big, and if it's high quality that will hold up to a lot of shooting, around $200 or less would be my guess.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't tell from the vid, send me one free as a trial and I'll give you a review and opinion. :tu:

4. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Were you using a broad head in that video or a field point cause I couldn't tell. Also how many shots would it take before it starts to shred from broad heads? If I were to even estimate a price I would say between 150 and 220. But if you want good input let a couple people pilot it for a while and get real "field input" that would be better. IMO.

5. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    The shot was with a field point. We have a few local tester currently and we are shooting then as well. Thanks for the input.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like a good target. I am wondering why not shoot a Broadhead at the target in this video? It would give a better indication of how well it is built. I am sure you have shot many broadheads at the target, but in this case, it would have say a lot more. Just my .02!

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it holds up well, it's worth $200.

8. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plain and simple, a BH is designed to tear up game and it does the same to any type of target material. I have 2 LARGE solid foam blocks....as in 4'x4'x2' that a fellow in a remote area of southern MI sells. The first one has lasted 4-5 years with fieldpoint use....mostly shot at 20 and now serving as my backup at longer ranges. It has taken tons of abuse in that span of time, but the only genuinely shot out spots are where I sighted in BH's. I had an original Block layered foam target that left triangular shards of thin foam in my yard whenever I shot it because the BH's cut across the grain of the foam. As soon as you get a couple close BH shots, the intersecting blade cuts remove material in pieces. I have a Rinehart 18/1 target that is a bear to get FP arrows from, but likewise got cut to pieces with BH's. Regardless if you make them with a variety of foam densities, your own test was with field points because you KNOW It is going to get chewed up with BH's. Give us an HONEST video testing with a few dozen BH shots in the same relative location and I am guessing the same will be true of your target. I would not pay $75-100 for such a target because it is going to be a pile of chunks in my yard when shooting BH's......just the plain reality of the genre.

9. early in

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot different spots each time with broadheads, it will extend the life of any target. Your fletching is safer as well.

10. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I agree. Well said.

11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that a video shooting broadheads would be more useful. What does it look like after a broadhead has hit it 10 times? 50? 100?
    I have paid for targets that claimed to be for broadheads that were torn to pieces after five shots.
    The size and design look great. If it has the durability, i would pay up to $200 for a broadhead target that size. However, without some proof of broadhead durability I wouldn't pay that. If it can only handle field points, I would pay around $100-$125 for a target that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Currently most "GOOD" targets are in the $125 - $200 range and they won't take broadhead abuse.
    I love my SpyderWeb target in the basement but don't know how it would stand up if I left it outdoors.

I have gone through many Block targets over the years once I have need to test a broadhead they become backup targets because as we all know, you can't stop with just one. My 18 in 1 does OK but it also shoots out quite quickly one I switch to broadheads.

So DIY guy, if you have an option that will give me a couple of years of being able to shoot innumerable field points and then when the need arises, I can also shoot broadheads in the same target, I'm very interested. As you said, shipping would be an issue since the above described target if priced in the $175 - $200 range, very much priced right but then you add $30 shipping, even though we all spend (waste) a lot more on other less useful new items, it sometimes doesn't seem like it's worth it to spend a little more for a lot more.

Please keep us in the loop.

13. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Which was the thought process behind making the target huge and 6 sided when many targets are only2 sided.

We shot this target with a field point because its being donated to the WI Traditional Archers for their upcoming convention.

Most broadheads targets get shot out quickly because they are small so you cant spread out the damage. These offer a lot of real estate and 6 sides for longevity. But if a guy focuses on only one spot with broadheads and pounds that spot alone it will get shot out like any foam target.

14. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Makes perfect sense to me. I like it.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How well will it stand up to the elements? I buy a target set it up outside and leave it there till I buy a new one.

16. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Currently we have these targets outside for 3 years (our oldest one) After reading your post I had my dad take a pic in his back yard of one he has been shooting for 3 years.

[​IMG]

Real estate = longevity. The more area you have to shoot at the longer it will last.

17. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Would love to see the 3 year old target cut in half and show us the how the insides look after usage

I'm with the $175-200 crowd

Also a cheap grill cover will prolong the life of the material. Maybe you could have a custom fit cover as no one offers that?? Just a thought

18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now that would be a cool testimony to quality. I sincerely doubt any other target manufacturer would be willing to do that on a three-year-old target.

19. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not impressed from the video. That target looks pretty new and that arrow penetrated over halfway on the first shot which tells me those spots are going to shoot out quick. Will obviously have the same issues as other targets on broad heads. No real way of getting around that. That is after all what broadheads are designed to do. Really to me it doesn't look any more innovative or better than a block. Without good substantial proof of toughness, weather resistance and seeing exactly how many shots an aimpoint will take (1 with broadheads and 1 with field points) I couldn't say I would pay more than $75 bucks and be comfortable with it. Only reason the price would be that is the size and amount of aimpoints.

I will say this is my take solely on watching the vid. I haven't read any other postings here, I will, this was just my initial reaction. If you decide to come to market you can't skimp on getting the marketing and proof out out that this is a superior target if it actually is.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  20. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fair assessment. As stated, the target in the video is a donation to the WI traditional archers (average member age of 55) and the target was built on the light side for a reason. The targets can be built so penetration is limited to only inchers but that means extraction becomes more difficult too. We have come to learn the trade-off of arrow stopping power and ease of arrow extraction.