Out of say 300 kills on this site, there are only 6-10 pass through shots?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by steintp, Dec 16, 2016.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bullet killed this one cause the broadhead sure didn't ...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is that a sling blade or double cross? Also where was it lodged exactly?

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lodged on between the fat pad and silver skin along the back strap. Wouldn't matter what head it was it wouldn't have killed the deer. Pretty strange that the head didn't deploy at all yet there was obviously some limited penetration. One thing it's didn't do is redeploy it's self.

My entire reason for posting is to show that no matter how unlikely something seems if the possibility exists then in an unlimited number of applications even the very unlikely will eventually transpire.

4. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly why I opted for Spitfire Maxx's. My buddy shot a deer with Rage crossbow heads. He had a massive entry wound, but no pass through at 13 yards. The deer went basically nowhere. Impressive and not impressive in the same shot. He shot at another and completely missed at 13 yards. He has no idea what happened. I wonder if he had an issue shooting thru his blind's "shoot-thru mesh".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This would bother me as I prefer the quartering away shot because it's more difficult for the deer to bust me drawing. I hunt in a ground blind and shots less than 15 yards are likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it doesn't matter for this thread, but in another recent thread regarding major NAP DoubleCross failures it has relevance.

Although the issue with the DoubleCross is the opposite- the SlingBlade-style rear opening blades typically open too easily; whereas the over the top SpitFire-style blades are the ones with a reputation for not opening.

Regardless if the head in your pics was a SlingBlade or a DoubleCross; it's an interesting case to be sure! If I had to guess they were either frozen or (more likely) someone put a substance in the hinge pin to keep them from opening prematurely (trust me it happens way too easily) and it completely fused the head...or superglued it to use as a practice tip and mixed it up with a "live" head

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matthews/Hoyt/Bear/ don't matter.
    its NOTHING MORE than these people shooting expanables.
    getting sick of watching shows with deer running with 3/4 of the arrow sticking out!!.
    what the EFF don't people get?
    i'm beggining to hate them more than DemacRATS!!.

really guys. QUIT triyng to be "cool"

i have 100% QUIT letting people in bear camp use any expanable after witnessing HORRIBLE performance!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking the same thing! 13 days later and he has yet to post again. Really? Just a Mathews Hater trying to start something!

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Pardon my language, but what the EFF don't you get? It doesn't take an arrow passing through an animal and sticking 12 inches in the ground to make a clean, quick, ethical kill. Putting a 2 or 3 inch cutting diameter broadhead 12 inches into a deer's chest cavity kills it every bit as quickly as running a 1 1/8" fixed blade all the way through it. To each their own. If someone wants the durable reliability of a fixed blade because they absolutely want a better chance at a total pass through, good for them. If someone else prefers the large cutting surface of a big mechanical, at times sacrificing penetration, so be it. You put either one of those broadheads into a deer's lungs and they're going to expire quickly.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot put a field point through both lungs that deer will die.

11. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Killed 3 deer so far with the Spitfire Maxx's and none of those deer went farther than 90 yards. None of them were pass thrus, but it doesn't matter cuz I'd get great penetration and killer blood trails that amazed me each time with good placement. Clean, quick, and ethical. Just like it should be. Some people just aren't going to change their opinion, no matter how many quick kills you guys show in a row with those mechanicals. The proof is right in front of them, I've seen it, and it's proving true for me in the woods too.

12. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  13. Invisible man

Invisible man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A little speed, a little extra weight and its going through. And if you blow it and put it in the shoulder then the extra weight will bust him up good.

14. TN Natural Born Killer

TN Natural Born Killer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just traded my PSE Vendetta XS this morning for an Omen Max. The Vendetta IBO's 330 which realistically after my hunting arrows and 100 grains of hypodermic on the end it shoots right at 323. Not bad. I killed 7 deer just this year with it and every deer I shot was a complete pass thru with 4in - 6in buried up in the ground. Doesn't matter how fast your bow is if you don't make a good shot on an animal it's there is a good chance you will never find it. The new big expandables we all love to shoot gives you a little wiggle room. They make a marginal shot deadly. Point is Mathews, Bowtech, Elite or PSE it doesn't matter. They all make bows beyond capable of shooting through a deer with the right broadhead and practice. You have to know your limit when shooting. We've all been there in that moment. When you see him and before you know it your 40 yard pin is settled on him and the arrow is halfway there. I'll be the first to admit that. Bowhunt Or Die is the most down to earth and real show on web and all the guys that we are week after week are real people hunting in real public land for the most part or a lease. They actually do things the right way. Nobody will ever away my opinion on that. The Omen IBO's 366. Can't help but be excited for its arrival. No doubt on the pass through now.

PSE Omen Max #70dw 30dr
    Carbon Express Maxima Red
    Lumenok,Apex 3Pin,QADHDX
    Rage Hypodermic 100gr

15. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you shoot the same bow as me and i can vouch for this its not themost powerful but i defiantly get pass throughs

16. Bowman_08

Bowman_08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My opinion is that a lot of it has to do with the broad head I shot my buck at 43.5 yards I only shoot 65 pounds 29.5 inch draw with my elite synergy definitely not a fast bow but with muzzy trocar it's passed through

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

17. Bowman_08

Bowman_08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the shot is good the deer is going down no matter what lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

18. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    If the deer dies quickly it doesn't matter. It's more about placement and massive blood trails for me. I shoot 70lbs arrow is 490grains it's plenty heavy. I've shot deer with fixed blades and mechanicals. Mechanicals fly better in my case so I'd take precision over a possible fixed blade not hitting the mark. IMO fix blades are great for bones and mechanical are just great for cutting flesh and organs.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

19. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always late to the party... some things never change.

It's funny that the idea of a fully functioning bullet is to expel all energy inside the animal, ideally, barely falling out the other side to provide 2 exit holes. It's not any different with an arrow. If your arrow is sticking 10" in the dirt on the off side, you're wasting energy on killing dirt when the energy could be used to create a bigger hole and more damage inside the animal.

I wonder if they quit teaching physics in common core. :dan:

20. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You guys fell for the troll!!