Best POV/2nd angle camera?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Siman/OH, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Professional hunters, sell me on a 2nd angle/POV style camera.

For many years, we used an original GoPro. Wasnt in HD, wasn't waterproof, sound was garbage. But we did get some cool footage with it.

Then we got a the Hero3, battery life was dismal. Followed it with one of the newer models, maybe a 3+? Same difference.

I bought a EPIC cam this year before the season and its even worse.

We've been striking out with these things badly.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly the small handycams I think will do best...but if you need something tiny GoPro or the brand new cams the bhod crew are using seem best.

3. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say go with the tactacam 4.0 for bow mounted. As for a second angle looking at the shooter, I would go with the gopro hero 5 black. The tactacam will bring you closer to the subject, while the gopro will shoot 4k video.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a GoPro Session. I don't use the audio from that cam so that isn't of importance to me. For the all GoPro's other than the Sessions, you can buy extended battery packs. I know a couple guys using packs that last 12+ hours. I'll likely upgrade my Session to a Hero 4 or 5 for next season with a handful of those aftermarket 12+ hour battery packs.

5. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I dont want a bow mounted camera, just something to watch the hunter, ect.

Ive heard the tactacam mentioned a time or two.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at this myself. I have a Tactacam on my bow, but I wouldn't really suggest it as a 2nd angle camera for the same reason I think it's a better bow mounted cam, it has a built in zoom. That's good if you're pointing it at you query, but not so much if it's mounted 2 ft from you, your subject.

I have it narrowed down to the Hero5 and the Sony x3000R. I'm leaning towards the Sony for a few reasons.
    1. better lowlight performance (which is key for hunting IMHO)
    2. Optical Image Stabilization. (Go Pro has digital, which is better than nothing, but you lose on image resolution)
    3. Sony's image has been tested to be slightly sharper.

While I like the GoPro ecosystem and have long leaned towards getting one, Sony has blown me away with the quality of their products as of late. Especially my a6300. Also, as honky as it looks, I like the idea of the remote watch for the Sony. I have having to use my phone for that sort of thing, plus, at the moment of truth, if I want to check my framing, I don't have to dig out the phone, open up the app, connect to the cam etc....

It also appears to be easier to run external power to the Sony, which I will be doing. I want to throw a 128BG card in it, set it up, hit record and let that sucker run. One less thing to do if something comes in.

Anyways, I'm still researching, but will probably choose the x3000R.

7. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard of this, ill have to check it out.

A remote would be optimal, i dont want to have to turn anything on during the moment.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sony also shoots in a higher bit rate.

Here's a good comparison. They actually pick the GoPro as the winner. They say unless you're looking at low light performance, image stabilization, bit rate and sharpness , the GoPro is the best choice. I just so happen to find those areas important to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the beauty of the 12 hour packs on a GoPro. Setup in the stand, click the on button, let it run for the entire site, and then just make sure you aren't doing anything you wouldn't want on film. :nana:

I like the ability to buy different accessories local, the strong second hand market to buy them cheap, etc.......so I'll be going with the GoPro for next year with a few of those big battery packs like the one on this link.

DigiPower Re-Fuel 12-Hour ActionPack Battery for GoPro RF-12H34

10. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    That battery life would be great.

Fitz, what are we talking about battery life wise for the Sony?

GoPro is definitely sexier/easier to conceal.

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it's internal is better, or even as good, but I've been running my other cameras off of external batteries anyways, I can just plug the USB into one of those and not worry about the battery life at all. AKA all day sits with it powered on and running.

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In Colorado elk hunting, we used Todd's GoPro4s with 12 hr batteries on them. I don't think they make those for the Hero5s yet. Plus it would cover the touchscreen.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I'm not using an action cam for a second angle. I run my Sony A57 SLT for that. I have a wireless remote and just press record when I want it to run. I wouldn't mind downsizing to one of the smaller mirrorless cameras like the A6000 or something like that.
    I do run a GoPro as as shooter cam though. I just mount it to the shoe of my main cam and face it back at me. I have it set to one touch record so it's easy to turn on when I need it. Personally, I don't care for the GoPro for lots of reasons, expecially battery life and poor low light performance.

14. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this yr i was using a gopro hero session for my second angle camera. i used the remote to turn it on or off and i bought the dark energy poseidon charger and just plug it into that for battery life. im also thinking of getting a small camcorder to use as a second angle. it would work and i could use it walking into my stand without having to pull out my main camera