Too many deer

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dbrownpilot, Dec 26, 2016.

1. dbrownpilot

dbrownpilot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm up in a ladder stand today and a herd of about 15, including 3 bucks, approach the stand from the brush. As they get close, one begins to stare at me. It eventually stops staring, but then another starts. There's always at least one watching, and I can't move so I can't draw. Since they are still milling in the brush, my shot has to be perfect. A doe wanders directly below my stand, and I'm needing more venison, but if I draw, they'll all bolt. Finally all but the bucks wander off, but none of them get into my shooting lane. (None of the herd ever got out into the field. ) I never took a shot. I feel kind of stupid, and my wife laughed at me, but I just felt I couldn't draw without spooking all of them. At the same time, I didn't do any better by not drawing. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with a herd?

2. Paulmorrison

Paulmorrison BHOD ProStaff

Dislikes Received:
    That's a tough situation! You did the smartest thing. Sometimes you can get away with drawing really slow if a shot presents itself, even if there looking at you, sometimes they will give you enough time to get a shot. Could try using a blind or setting up farther away from where they are feeding..

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You did the right thing by not spooking them. Maybe they will come back in smaller groups next time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Set up a 2nd stand not to far from the one your hunting. Try to find better cover so they don't see you draw. It will throw them off guard if you set up another stand, but leave your old one there. My guess is they know the stand is there and that's why they keep looking up.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you are buck hunting just wait when a buck comes chasing in the does will scatter and be distracted.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a crossbow.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    True if you can't get it done with a bow, get a crossbow.:)

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Problem solved eh?

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't help you, I've never had a problem with too many deer! lol

10. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This kind of situation is all part of the experience. I know my heart would've been pounding. Not getting a shot (or even a chance to draw) sucks but I'm always hesitant to "poison the well"...there are some spots that you just don't want to get busted, especially with that many deer all at once!

I'd count it as a positive experience, since you have the chance to go back and kill a deer there tomorrow, plus now you have the confidence that you can keep it together and stay undetected (not to mention the cool memories and a good story).

11. StringJumper

StringJumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I once had a bunch of does come in and I had eyes on me so much that it was impossible to draw...after awhile they all started to leave...old lead doe let everyone leave as she eyeballed me...she was the last to leave...she stood perfectly broadside and her left ear moved forward for a split second and it covered her left eye...I got back...and killed her....so patience is the key...and being ready for the moment...

We've all been there...had deer under the stand...and the opportunity/moment didn't develop...or sometimes it was so quick we missed it...that's bow hunting...

12. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might try putting your back, or side to the deer. Practice drawing then turning to shoot.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  13. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tough spot to be in. Hunting from a ground blind had 5 does cross behind me not 15' away. Caught some movement through the brush and turned my head to look and watched them walk past. Had the crossbow in my hands but if it put it up to shooting position would be to much movement. Just had to let them go. Now, the deer are moving at night. Shot gunners got them all stirred up from being chased for 10 days. I think bow season has come to an end 10 days early. Camera picks them up between 11pm and 4 am.