How High is too High?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rugger, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got busted by four does that I have been watching at night for a few days now. I had their patterns down perfectly and they came right in where I thought they would. Problem is they got to about 15 yards before I had a chance to get my bow up, and I was promptly busted by a yearling after she looked at me bobbing her head for about 15 seconds. Big mamma was about 30 yards away and head on so I wouldn't have had a shot even my bow was up.

I think I was about 16-18 feet up, which is actually lower than I usually go. However, being cognizant of shot angles and coming off of gun season I decided to stay lower. I'm confident if I was higher I probably wouldn't have gotten busted.

With all of that said, how high is too high for shots ranging from 15-25 yards? If I had a 30+ yard shot I wouldn't think twice about being at 30 feet but these deer seem to be getting too close to me :eek2:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like at least 20' I'll go higher especially if there's no cover to hide and the upper canopy permits me to.. that being said... the closer the deer gets to you the smaller your kill zone will be so it takes practice to dial in your shot placement ! Good luck and practice those shots !

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you're confident in your shooting, I don't think you can be too high up. This is my thinking based on hunting skittish Public land deer. I won't hunt less than 20' high.

4. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    She saw you move.

5. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    no way, the only thing she could have seen me move was blinking and I kept my eyes squinted almost shut the whole time. Did not move a muscle and was breathing shallow.

6. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just have my doubts that a yearling is smart enough to pick you out without movement. I'm usually in the 16' to 22' range. Stand height is determined by tree and shooting conditions for me.

7. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I let cover dictate how high I hunt, but if I there's doubt then the higher the better for me. I'm a fidgety dude though.

8. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like I may have to go higher. Haven't used the tree stand yet but it is up about 14' in trees with lot of thick dead weeds and under brush. 2 trails cross close to the tree the stand is in, open CRP about 30 yds out and a creek the other way. Little to no hunting pressure in this area but 1/2 mile away is hit hard. These deer will move through the hunted area.

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never been over 15'. Pure woods. Never been busted in a stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Then you haven't been hunting long enough. lol

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Must take 50 years.

12. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  13. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The slope with your feet at 20' bow at 24' deer is 3' tall about 21' or 7 yards. with the deer at 15 yards will be 7/15 deer vitals 9" horizontally from one lung to the other, you get 4.2" of drop. Accounting for broadhead that is a 3" drop. Will leave you 3-4 inch kill zone.
    As you go higher the kill zone gets smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. I want the canopy to break my silhouette as much as possible, so I prefer to get up next to as long as I still have shooting lanes.

In Mississippi, I hardly ever hunted less than 23', but preferred 25'-30'. I did however practice a lot of 0-30 yard shots from elevation.

15. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Someone should make that into a calculator so you can just plug in height and distance and get vitals target size

16. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    same here.
    my stands are from 11-15 feet

17. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try climbing up 25' to the base of the stand, measured, not estimated. Then place a deer target at 10 yards. Don't lean it against a tree, stand it up straight like a deer stands. That shot is next to impossible to make where you'll catch both lungs. At 15yards it gets a bit better, but there is still a very small margin of error, a couple inches high or low and you only get one lung.
    I used to think higher is better, until I actually did as I described above. Now I try to stay no more than 20' and flat out will not hunt if I don't have good cover around, and especially behind, my stand.

18. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:

Same for me. The cover is the deciding factor and I'm not too worried about getting picked off when I draw. My concern is that deer will see me move from far away. Deer are very good at picking up movement at say 100 yds, but not that great at 10 yds. I also like to be about 20 yds to the closest trail I'm hunting. All of this is based on hunting in Alabama and I haven't killed a buck yet this year, so take it for what it's worth.

19. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the elevation helps with scent management as well. It's the cackle of does that will bust you. If you're fooling them, you're in the game at least.

20. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think one would have more freedom of movement at 30 feet up than I do at 15. I have to stand so still my back and feet are aching after two hours. And once your body is fatigued, your movement discipline is compromised just as much as if you're freezing cold.

On a side note, does anyone else think you've been busted by making eye contact with a deer? You all might think I'm nuts but I swear I've been busted just moving my eyes.