Chris Brackett's 60 Yard Shot Video, Rant, etc.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Dec 9, 2016.

1. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to jump on the band wagon here but Justin I think you present many valid points. Bradn4201 follows up with the perfect response of just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I don't personally know Chris but in his defense the dude makes his living in the eye of the public. Does that justify a 60 yard shot, absolutely not. And his justification for making a bad shot really has no foundation. On that same note he has to have something to fulfill his shows obligations and that has to be stressful. None of us are perfect and most of us have made a bad shot at one time. We should take ownership for that and not put the blame in God's hands.

What he did, is doing is definitely not right but we also do not know the stresses he has to deliver content. I'm not sure how we can fix other than try to be good role models ourselves and teaching as many as we can the message that Justin has laid out. Unfortunately due to his position Chris has the power to influence a lot of people.

2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be curious to find out if Tyler predicted the deer would drop on his shot or it was simply a lot of luck. Maybe both.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Wow got to respect that!! Good deal.

4. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    brackett.JPG

I'm glad you brought this up JZ because I have been pissed off since I watched this video live the other day. I honestly couldn't say that there is a bigger a****** on hunting TV than Chris Brackett.I don't want to get into all the reasons why I think this (as I have some of my own that are more personal than just what he does for an audience), but I completely agree with EVERY point you're making. I could go on about this for days. Shooting at deer at the distances he is talking about RUINS THE POINT OF BOWHUNTING IN MY OPINION. The intimate nature of bowhunting is a large part of the draw, it is the best feeling to get close to a deer regardless of what caliber they are, and to go shooting "laser beams with my 80# bow and 450 grain arrow at ridiculous, unethical, BS distances blows my mind. People like Chris Brackett give hunters, bowhunters, and outdoorsmen in general a bad name.

Why is it that we give stupid people the platform to display their stupidity in our world today for all to see? (IE; presidential election, social media, etc).

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well I stand corrected. Clinton shot a doe at 60+ yards S4E15 and made a piss poor shot on her. Once again proof of why you shouldn't shoot whitetails at long distance. I even say in the post-hunt interview that he shouldn't have taken the shot, and so does Todd.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brackett is the PRIME example of why I could care less who you are, how big your nuts are, how many accomplishments you have or how much money you desire to give me or have earned....if you are arrogant I'm done.

I watched the entire video and nearly passed out from laughing, broke my screen from anger and probably annoyed God with asking him "WHY?!?!" far too often.

Only people that are fans of his or think he is a great example of a bowhunter are newbs or folks just like him. PERIOD.

(SIDENOTE...I now am seriously considering overhauling my camo selection of ScentLok...since they align with this idiot. However, Justin wears it and he is dreamy... :biggrin: )

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where is he stating so?

8. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did not get down far enough to see the video. Never watch shows like his any way. Figure since the deer can not jump the fence most of the places he hunts he could find the deer with a good beagle. If you are going to hunt like that then a blood tracking dog would be a good investment.

With modern gear and practice and good conditions 80 yard shots would not be unreasonable. But them shots are few and far between. But lots of young / new hunters will watch and the coyotes will be eating good.

https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2014/11/10/5-bow-shots-you-should-never-take/

9. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just watched the video. He has no foundation for anything he says. Nothing makes sense. Continues to say he did everything right. Well if you did everything right why are you taking a 60yard shot on a deer you know is going drop. Class A d-bag.

10. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Chris Brackett......puke.

11. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As much as I don't want to bring up negative things about the show, Dustin did shoot an Antelope at 62 yards in Season 2 Episode 8.. Antelope didn't drop and the shot was perfect but it is still a 62 yard shot on a very small animal...

12. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to bust you out but you beat me to it.That was the worst shot I have seen on the show and still think it was a bad decision to this day.To the D bag, yeah he is an in-creditable tool who believes he can do no wrong.I love the fact he called Jamie out.

13. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Any Back story your willing to share on this encounter?

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure there's much to tell. A 170+ inch whitetail, 70+ yard shot, terrible hit, hunter got lucky to recover it. We didn't feel it was a good representation of ethical bowhunting for the show so it wasn't used.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Big game animals out West behave infinitely different than whitetails when shot at with a bow so you can get away with taking longer shots at them. I don' know if they're just dumb or don't have the reflexes of a whitetail since they live in open spaces and can see danger coming, but 99% of the time they don't move a muscle until that arrow hits them. Hence the reason I keep mentioning whitetail deer specifically in this thread.

16. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn. I am starting to feel bad. Lol.

I really don't buy in to any of that. To each his own.

17. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure what makes me more upset. The shot or all of the positive reactions from his fans. He says whatever he needs to say to justify the shot. First it was too windy that any noise made did not spook the deer. Then, when discussing how ethical of a shot it was he said it was calm with almost no wind.

With that said, it did look like it was a good shot given the circumstances. Even with all of the things working against him, he still put as good of a shot on it as he could have, and yet, he wounded an animal that deserved better. This video introduced me to someone who is so full of pride he took an impatient shot and had the gumption to post the video for others to "learn" from. This isn't an ethical sportsman. This is an entertainer. I'm pleased to see the response here about the hunter and the video he posted.

frantic29 likes this.
  18. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I knew this was common with elk but assumed it was due to their size, was not aware that it applied to antelope as well. I still would have a hard time taking that shot but I have never hunted that animal before either..

19. Weston Whitetail

Weston Whitetail Newb

Dislikes Received:
    These long shots are being taken for the shows. They need footage to air, if they pass on the 60 yard shot they for sure have no footage, if they take it and make it they do

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

20. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm... I have an idea of who this was... I'll keep it to myself though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app