***Sons of Actaeon -TEAM 25***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Aug 14, 2016.

1. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Good job!

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Little update from me...granted I'm done contributing to the contest.

Haven't hunted since I dropped the doe, has allowed Pops to have first pick as he pursues a buck for the year. He just had back surgery so we popped a ground blind up right near where I shot Splits and just got 6 different days where Gary was killable since November 12th...couple times multiple times a day.

He will be there tonight as the rain drizzles and fizzles out this late afternoon! Hoping Gary or another shooter comes to refresh the scrapes 50 yards from the blind.....

...I'll be hitting late season hopefully here somewhat soon but time will tell. After Thanksgiving is when I really begin to be able to see what the local doe numbers have washed out from firearms season here. Lord willing I'll be flinging an arrow at atleast one more target doe.

3. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I scored my buck tonight and came up with a score of 81 5/8" let me know if it looks good to you and I will get it posted on the score card!

IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg

4. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot it is gross not net so it is 89 6/8"

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well any updates from anyone? Been hush hush it seems here for the most part.

Got Pops a blind brushed in at the New Property....hasn't connected yet, but we're seeing some last minute rut action for the final does before we slip into the post-rut action which ALWAYS leads to expanded buck ranges and new visitors for a day or two it seems every year in search of that final piece of the action if you will.

Food sources will be a focus for sure of visiting bucks as they know does will congregate near or by if we get some cold temps. I personally will be giving it a go should the does stay around like they are for some late season venison...and hopefully get Pops lined up on a buck!

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Alrighty folks, I got back from WI last night. What a bust that was. My brother got a little 1.5 yo basket and that was it. I didn't even see a hair the whole season! If it wasn't for the time spent with family down there, I'm not sure I'd bother outside of the opening weekend.

Anyway, while I was gone we got 11 or 12" of snow. Most of it is melting today because it's raining. I just can't believe this mild (outright warm) Fall we're having! The lake isn't even frozen yet... I'm going to take a few days to get settled back at home here and give my wife a much needed reprieve from watching our son while I'm hunting. Sounds like my buddy Nick is going to try and come up this weekend to hunt and my in-laws will be here, so game on again!

I'll be switching gears a bit. Now, with my either/or tag I'm meat hunting. If a doe presents me with a good opportunity, I'm going to strike! Come late December, I might even consider shooting one of the forks running around here. Daddy needs to eat!

I'll try and swing out for a trail camera check here in the next day or so. I'll let you all know what I find. MN rifle season ended last the 20th, so I'm hoping to confirm the survival of a couple of these bucks. We'll see I guess...

7. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, my season has been pretty tough so far. I did see a ten i am going after but i didn't have a shot. I even had a few does come running in one morning like they were being chased, but nothing followed them.

Gun season started last week and i got a nice doe opening morning. Once gun season ends i can go back in for late bow as i know there are still a few nice bucks running around.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

8. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well since I'll killed my buck opening day of gun it's been slow. Couple dinks and young does. Gun season ends tomorrow and muzzleloader kicks in this weekend. Nothing good has showed up on cameras between the two properties so be laying pretty low.

Good news now though is I gained permission to a 18acre chunk that's crp and scrub brush. Buddy that use to work for the guy next door said there was Giants but his wife liked watching them. Can't get out till Saturday probably but going to take a look, put a couple cell cams out on some corn and find out what's in the area. Crossing fingers a good buck will show up.

9. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I am back from my trip up to PA for rifle season and I was fortunate enough to harvest a pretty nice buck Tuesday morning. Killed a heavy ten that is a little busted up from fighting. Unfortunately I was only able to get one picture of the deer before my phone got wet and died.
    IMG_2711.jpg IMG_2716.jpg

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Lung!

11. rustyreno

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

12. rustyreno

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing for me today. It was nice and cold this morning. I am surprised they weren't moving.

13. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'm hoping my luck has turned :tu:

My buddy Nick pulled in last night about 1AM. Got to bed after 2AM, alarm went off at 5:15. Sat up in the Log Cabin Blind and videoed him killing a nice doe at 9:45. She duck and the shot hit high but I was confident it was fatal. Saw her drop in the thick brush 20-22 yards away from POI. It was a good day.

Sat there again tonight and had nothing come in, but while he was gutting her I ran the chainsaw to clear a bunch of downed trees that were blocking our access trail and 1/3 of our shooting lanes.

Headed back up there in the AM for a short morning hunt to see if I can get one too, then we'll butcher up his doe before he takes off mid afternoon.

Felt good to get blood on my hands :evilgrin:

[​IMG]

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is his 3rd deer ever. I videoed him shooting his 1st back in 2008.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas I'm so pre-occupied with plans for 2017 I've only hunted once since I shot my doe.....I did ML hunt Sunday but nothing. Landowner put in a request for a doe at one property, yearling at that, so might just hang a stand on the plot in a little bit and make a go at it for a yearling. Numbers are good there so while odd, might target a youngin like he requested.

16. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted yesterday morning for New Jersey's opening day of gun season and I was fortunate enough to harvest a pretty nice 8 pointer for our area. Still have one more tag but I am going to focus on trying to get my daughter a shot at her first deer!!

IMG_2725.jpg

17. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry fellows its been a while since I've been on here. Didn't get hint none this year really. Had back problems all year, and wound up having surgery last monday. This was supposed to be a good year for me. I had three shooters on the properties I hunt. I dont know maybe next year. Congrats to every body that has killed deer this and good luck on the rest of the year.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Prayers have been ongoing for you brother, pray recovery is going well. My Pops has had an abbreviated year due to back surgery and is finally able to get out although primarily ground blind hunting as treestands don't allow long sits for his back issues right now. Heal up brother!

19. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear this unfortunate news. Praying that you have a speedy recovery!!

20. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am out of doe tags after the gun and muzzleloader seasons. I am continuing to receive some great pictures of some nice bucks. I have 6 shooters on 3 different spots after the 'orange army' hunt ended. Late season is one of the best times to be in the woods if you have a hot food source around.