Ohio public land

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jclark81, Dec 2, 2016.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's 2017, you no longer have to live with debilitating personality traits. You should really seek help.

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My inner conscience wants to do everything the elite way, but i wouldnt enjoy it. As ive gained experience in hunting ive learned to just simply enjoy it as much as possible. A deer drive or two, a corn pile or two...wont kill me. Hanging with my friends/family and dragging out deer is alot more fun than sitting 60 times a year hoping someone on the neighboring property jumps a deer my way cuz i dont have any food sources. LOL.

My family farm touches 16 other properties. Thats 16 other "hunters" setting up their own idea of deer habitat. 16 other hunters trying to draw deer in. Thats alot of competition.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is it safe to say the bigger your property is, the odds of having many neighbors is greater? How big is your family farm?

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They have been tapping the same gene pool for hundreds of years If you know what I am saying.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to derail the thread but since it's being talked about, if Monster Raxx or any other SE MN guy is following, are the Amish like this there too like they are in Ohio?

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    110 acres. Most of the neighboring properties are 12 acres lots. With hunters.

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are mostly in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had to do a quick Google search because I wasn't sure how many were in MN but says about 3,000. Little to none compared to you guys but was curious since it's a big deer area.

9. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    There are about 12k Amish in NY and even with that few a number they have already taken their toll in areas. They contention that their practices have caused for example on the Ontario tributaries is a hot topic and something I have witnessed first hand. To say they aren't conservation minded is an understatement.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have probably 20K of them within a 30 mile circle around my house. 45K if you make that a 90 mile circle.

11. Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How's it going. I'm new to this page.

I'm in the NE part of Ohio. As far as public land goes, you can be successful. I hunt public 90% of the time due to almost all the private land i used to hunt has been sold. I have been successful 3 years in a row now (All before gun season) granted they were not monsters, but they sure filled the freezer

Best advice is to study the area find spots off the beaten trail where most weekend warriors don't want to go. I'm sure you have read all the tips on public land so I will not go on. After Gun though thats when you really need to find areas that deer feel safe

Look at Counties harvest reports,

Coshocton or Guernesy they will most likely be pack with hunters though. I've seen a lot of deer on my travels thru Ashland.

Side note I did some bow hunting in Fauquier County, VA when I lived out that way, Seen a few but never could seal the deal

12. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest issue is they have never been held accountable for their actions... stuff you and I would be charged with child endangerment for, the authorities around here turn their head to the side, when it's done by the amish. The excuse that's used is that it is just their culture.. they think they are above the law, because for so long they were treated that way..

They will lie, cheat and swindle you out of a nickel if they can. My best piece of advice is to never, ever let one near any where you hunt. Once your back is turned they will come through with 15 of their cross eyed kin and rape.the whole.place...

State lakes in our area had to put a 9 inch minimum on crappie.... these are GIANT lakes... the amish come in by the van loads, keep every crappie they catch whether it is 3 inches or 15. They just grind it into fish meal... so they could care less how big it is. NEVER EVER grant them permission to fish your personal pond....

They truly are a major issue. They are bleeding out into the surrounding areas more now than ever. They rape and destroy one property then move on to the next... whether they have permission or not.

13. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    Well, now you have me on an amish rant.

This will tell you how much they will swindle their way through life. they don't own cars, because they are of the simple life. They vow to live life with simplicity without the amenities of modern day life.... so they don't have drivers licences... so what do they do? They buy tractors, golf carts, side by sides, and four wheelers. So now, you have an un licensed amish person driving a tractor or a side by sde down the road. What if an English person did that? On too of that, they don't pay road taxes... but do you see license plates on their buggies or tractors? They sure don't have a problem using our roads though.

Or better yet, as if an adult amish driving a tractor without a license isn't bad enough... you will see his 8 yo son driving that same tractor on a main rd.... now could you imagine your 8yo son driving a large tractor down a main state hwy? Imagine how fast the hwy patrol would be at your house?

Opening day of gun season I saw a tractor with a trailer attatched. An amish guy driving it and a whole load of dirty amish sitting on lawn chairs sitting in the trailer holding their guns....

If you dont have amish near you..... be very very thankful.... they are equivalent to if not worse than ehd.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  14. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The numbers in Wi don't show that. Xbow has been legal for everybody for this being the third year. The last two years before there were 94k and 87k deer taken. The first two years combined bow and xbow were both right around 87-88k and this year is right at thAt same level with what is left the number will be up a little.

I don't use one and won't until I can't draw a compound any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What do they hunt with? Modern firearms?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You left out that many Amish own their own vans and trucks. There is one not far from me with a new Silverado crew cab on 38s. My buddies Amish neighbor owns one of the huge Ford vans with 4 rows of seats etc etc.

They buy their own because it is cheaper for them to own there own and pay a driver rather than hire a driver using their own vehicle.

17. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    We were fishing a trib on lake Ontario and a group ( gang ...family? ) of Amish showed up. They proceeded to break about every law for that river. Leader length, hook size, snagged fish, shared creel limits. A couple of guys got into with them and it got pretty heated. Earlier the DEC was called by someone on the river, they must have stated that there was some physical altercations as well because the local sheriff showed up and the encon officer. In any event it ended with the Amish leaving the river without any tickets or violations, with their fish in tow.

When asked the Encon offerier made it very clear that unless they had a criminal violation he wasn't wasting his time giving them civil tickets. The point was that it was going to be basically be unenforceable. He said to one of my fishing buddies that " he isn't even sure that they are the correct person on the license " as they don't have any type of ID
    If that was you or I we would have walked out of there with a grand in fines that if we didn't pay we have our licenses revoted.

I guess the question becomes how the hell do you deal with them ? Furthermore does the fish and game departments even recognize the problem they have and are they willing to address it?

18. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can Wisconsin tags be purchased OTC by nonresidents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sure can. State license sales are at a 30+ yr low.

Sent from my XT1254 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

20. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    You bet your sweet *** they are using modern weapons... like I said, they claim to live a simple life free of amenities.... they bend the rules so that it benefits them, they are licing far from a simple life.. cell phones in their pockets. Walkie talkies on deer drives....

Brand new bows, rifles, shotguns...