Hang On Stand and Sticks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by greatwhitehunter3, Nov 23, 2016.

1. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up a couple of the field and stream timberline stand.
    Pretty big platform and a mesh seat, found the on sale for $60 at d1cks sporting goods.

2. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go with the Guide Gear steps from Sportsmans Guide. Three sections for $29 with free shipping when ordered through Amazon.

3. Deerhunter 28

Deerhunter 28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guide gear sticks are great.
    Never used there stands so can't comment on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ky Bob

Dislikes Received:
    Their stands are good also. A little on the heavy side but not bad.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, We've used their connecting "ladder sticks" and this past year their segmented ones that are 3 feet or so each....all of our stands save one this is the exact brand we use to get to our stands. Cheap, functional and gets the job done. Now for run and gun type sits obviously not the choice but if you are like myself and many of your stands get hung and stay till end of season tear down they are perfect.

As for their stands, go with the smaller ones. They make some of the HUGE platform style and I love them but those are the ones that seems to have creaking issues for us IF any ever do. I think it is the added serious weight of the mega platform. Hope to transition away from those slowly to Hawk style platforms which are lighter yet larger than the tiny Guide Gear stands which I love but Pops doesn't necessarily enjoy.

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you guys talking about the guide gear 20' climbing sticks or the guide gear quick climbing sticks (3 pack)?

7. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have some XOP Treestands and sticks for sale. I can get you any one you want. Send me a message if interested.

BowHunters Only
    Like and share

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I have used both. If straight tree with little limbs I grab the 20' connected. We've bought so many that some stands he simply add to and get up another section or two for the high ones....or use one less on the shorter ones.

The "quick" sticks I love for short sets or sets up through a tree that may angle or bend or you switch trunks half way up.

9. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I would say I have about equal types of trees in the areas I'm looking at putting a hang on. I'm guessing I would be better off buying the quick sticks just in case if I only plan to buy one set right now?

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'm switching slowly over to these for the sheer ability to pull the bottom one or two if we suspect trespassing or stealing to be an issue.....Lord knows we've dealt with that often enough.

11. Ky Bob

Dislikes Received:
    I've only used their three foot sections that come in a 3-pack. I leave mine up the entire season but remove the bottom ladder section due to thieves.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure why but this concept or thought has always bugged me. I guess going into year 15 or so of using these "less expensive options" just isn't long enough yet before I want to upgrade and have to get a LW or equivalent. Now sure this past year I tried out Hawk Treestands, but that is more so due to their lighter design, medium platform size and seats more "refined".

However, some of my best stands have been and no doubt will still be next year those dirt cheap $39 dollar Guide Gear tiny platformed-heavier than they should be for their size-stands.

I think the BIG difference why some feel they just couldn't be happy or make do without a LW or equivalent are the fellas that move sets throughout the year rather consistently. If I did that I'd have a LW, or XOP or the Hawk offering Xplor I think it is.

However, for guys like myself that hang and leave for the most part all season it just doesn't make sense to spend the kind of cash it takes. I would much rather get 3 or 4 spots set up for the price of one, take care of them with one strap replaced every year (2 straps per stand) and inspect them often....Moving forward I'm even going to start using nylon washers on them just to make them a touch quieter but like I've said the small ones I've never had a noise issue...it is always those MASSIVE platform ones I could sleep on that creek or pop mostly but even then it seems 50-50 stand wise.

13. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    And that is the exact situation I am in. I do not hunt public land (if I do I have a climber) and I have all my sets pre hung and shooting lanes cut by middle to end of summer and stay there the rest of the year. I have no need for $200+ sets at this time. The way I look at it, I can buy 3 or 4 of these for the price of one and have the spots that I may move a higher $ stand to (run and gun) already taken care of.

I appreciate all the help so far. Pretty sure I'm going to order guide gear stand and sticks at some point here.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Now just remember they are cheaper, be sure to double check all cables, connecting bolts and such every year. I've yet to spot an issue that caused me to send back but you never know. They do rust a little quicker as the powder coat isn't professional grade, I have been known to use a little Rustoleum at year's end on spots and let air dry.

15. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more with Ty's post.
    I've seen the new Summit "Perch" priced as low as $69 @ 14lbs, and this is from a company I've already trusted with my life many times over. That'll likely be the next stand I pick up, along with a $39 GG stand and couple sets of GG sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Sure thing. Even if I leave my stands up all year, I pull them off the tree and inspect each spring/summer and usually get a fresh paint job.

17. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Ordered the 3 piece steps since there's free shipping right now. Holding off on the stand for now until I can see a few in person first.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The steps are great for what they are. Get the job done. Nothing special at all but I don't need any more.

19. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a Hawk Mega Combat over the weekend and it is definitely a nice stand. It'll be up there on the list for this coming year for sure.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yup and at times can be found for easily sub $100 deals even with shipping. Best sub $100 stand I've hunted out of personally.