Coming over to the dark side....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Skywalker, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just kidding, but it looks like I will be shooting Mathews next year. I've been so happy with my 2012 Prime Centroid that I hadn't even considered purchasing a new bow, so I'm kinda out of the loop. Obviously I will need to get out and shoot them, but I'm looking for some user reviews of the newest models and why you choose one over the other. I just learned today that I will be shooting Mathews, so I'm just starting my search.

2. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sponsorship?

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. It's an exciting time for us.

4. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I liked the No Cam's better than the Halon but the Halon is fast and very quiet. I felt the No Cam was smoother than the Halon. I bought the HTR rather than the HTX for the longer ATA. Killed my first ever bow buck on 11/5 after 38 years gunhunting. What a rush. Beyond the beyond of adrenaline rushes and I'm hooked.

PB050328.jpg

bow.jpg

Please let us know what you think of the Halon 32 when you shoot it.

5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I know that I generally prefer the longer ATA as well as a longer brace height. Speed is kinda important to me, but shootability and accuracy is much more important than speed for me. I'll probably stop into the local pro shop pretty soon to get a better idea. I like what I see with the Halon 32 in either a 6" or 7" brace height. I've never really like the split limb bows, but I guess that's not that big of a deal.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The split limbs on the Halon are unlike any other split limbs out there since they're so short and wide. They're basically impossible to twist.

Personally I like the Halon 32 a touch better than the original Halon. I sent my 32 off to get new string/cables from America's Best and I'm back to shooting my original Halon 6 until I get it back. It really is amazing how just a few inches of AT makes a difference in how a bow feels. Although if you want something even a little longer everyone I know raves about the Halon X. It's a great hybrid hunting/target bow that's equally at home in either application.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the team. You'll love it. :)

7. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why do you like the long ata? I shoot the creed xs, 28" and I enjoy it.

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like my Halon, but do wish it was a longer ata. I think the Halon 32 would be a perfect hunting bow.

9. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I draw 29 1/2" so the longer ATA has a better angle for me. Typically a longer ATA bow is more forgiving than the shorter ATA bows, though you will generally give up a little speed for that. Right now I shoot a 34.25" ATA, and it fits me just right.

10. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

11. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently shooting the Halon X, which is 35" AtA. I've been very pleased with the bow. I've shot the new Halon 32 this past week and am really liking the bow. By adding 2" to the riser, it really balances out very well. Great draw cycle and very quiet and vibe free on the shot. Mathews will have a lot of options for you!

SCFox

12. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just got the Halon 32 6. This bow is mostly riser and the string angle is perfect for me. The Obsession is faster but the Halon 32 in my opinion holds better. Time will tell. Good luck in your search.

13. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to run in to the local shop at lunch today and take a look and hopefully shoot the Halon 32. I just wonder if I shouldn't wait until after the ATA show in January before I make my decision. Seems like they always introduce something new at the show.

14. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are in no rush I would definitely wait till after ATA just to make sure you have all options.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have any info either way, but I don't see them offering anything else in the Halon line. They currently have a 30", 32" and 35" option in the same bow. If anything comes out it won't be a flagship as they've put all of their efforts into Halon 32 at this point. Not saying it won't happen, but IMO it's pretty unlikely this year.

16. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    But if you wait there might be a discount on this years model.

17. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A longer ata bow besides giving a better string angle they also tend to be more stable at full draw. thats just my experience though.

18. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    for me i would want to 7 in brace height. these bows are so fast that i just want that extra forgiveness for those high pressure situations where form breaks down. If i remember right mathews is saying ibo speed for the 6in is 343 and the 7in is 335. shoot both and see what fits you best, but i think for me 8fps isnt that much faster

19. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the No Cam and now the Halon. I wouldn't say that the No Cam is smoother. They both are almost equally smooth its just that the draw cycle is different. The No Cams draw cycle is very light and gradual until it peaks which makes it feel like your drawing less poundage in a way. The Halon loads up a lot quicker but still has the same smoothness. Both are very nice bows I just went to the Halon to gain some extra power being at 54 pounds. I'll still say the No Cam was the most accurate bow I have ever had when tuned correctly.

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you. Right now I'm shooting a 7" brace height w. 34.25 ATA and an IBO of 332. Pretty much love everything about it. Hopefully I will feel the same way about the Halon 32 after shooting it.