***Official Scorecard Commentary & Questions***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by foodplot19, Oct 26, 2016.

1. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just a question. I was taught that there is always a 4th circumference measurement on an 8ptr. Can anyone verify this for sure? I did a Google to make sure. That is what I'm finding on Google as well.
    I notice that some are scoring it with and some without.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  2. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes there is a 4th circumstance measurement. Measure 2 inches past the g3 and then take your 4th measurement there.

Sent from my ALCATEL A845L using Tapatalk

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Partly correct. There is always a H4 measurement taken. But, on an 8 pt., it is taken half way between the G3 and the end of the main beam.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the thread where you can comment on the Scorecard, raise concerns or simply ask questions!

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Commentary...

Hoping this isn't the first nail in suspending future contests...

Never seen one of these threads before

Edit, Nevermind. I see what you did. I seen this from main forum page and thought your new post was the original post. Thought you got tired of PM's and complaints...

Carry on, nothing to see here

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  6. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What about a 6 point. Take the h3 measurement at 1/2 way point between g2 and tip and count it 2x for the h4?

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, same for a 4 pt. If it were a spike all 4 measurements would be 1/2 way between burr and tipm

8. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Our team is in the middle of the pack and as of right now in no danger of winning. We all want to have a good time and win. The best part of this contest is that I have a whole bunch of new friends!!
    There are some issues with scoring though. I know Fitz has taken the time to post a link with pictures included on how to score a deer. I've made numerous mistakes in scoring in the past but have learned from it. Everyone here will help if someone don't know. We helped one of our own teammates that scored his buck wrong. When he rescored it, it was about 17" less than what he came up with to start with. He was disappointed but it still was his biggest buck ever and definitely something to be proud of! This is on the honor system which is the best way but if you don't know how to score a buck look at the link at the top of the scorecard page or just ask someone on your team if you've never scored one.
    This isn't about everyone that has over-scored their deer, I've brought up the same issues about people that didn't give themselves enough credit.
    I didn't bring this up to upset or offend anyone. If I'm wrong about this, I apologize in advance.
    Good Luck everyone!!

9. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Would you mind stating your sources on that? Looking at the B&C website, I dont see anything regarding 6 pointers and doubling the last H measurement...

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't find anything official by P&Y or B&C, but I am certain I am correct. Hopefuply others will chime in, but regardless of points you get 4 mass measurements no less and no more.

Did find this

Score Your Buck | Outdoor Life

11. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the 6 point has brow tines you take the H1 between the burr and brow tine. H2 between the brow tine and G2. Then for the H3 you go half way between the G2 and the tip of the main beam. You use this measurement for both the H3 and H4.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Answering here from the centry thread.

Yes, you get the Inside Spread. Not tip to tip or outside spread.

Can't read his score sheets as they are blurry

13. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok well then from what I could read there may be a few other deer that need they're score checked as I don't think they're getting enough credit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I would love to believe you guys, but outdoor life isn't B&C and for that reason, Im not quite ready to pull the trigger on that fourth mass measurement. To me, it seems like if you take 4 mass measurements on a spike, you are giving a spike way too much credit on score... Personally, I think the B&C system is a joke, especially when it comes to mass, but that is beside the point.

The article definitely got me closer to believing though.. Ive just never heard of that rule..

Anyone find it weird that will all the hunters on this forum we dont have an official scorer?

15. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    True.
    I understand that none of us are official scorers but there is no way we get an inside spread credit. Some people don't even show what there measurements are for. There is no way that a G1 & G2 are going to be in the 20's. No one will make fun if someone asks for help.

16. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Inside spread is scored. Tip to tip is measured for B&C but not included in score. Also, outside spread is measured but not scored. Inside measurement score can not exceed the length of the longest beam. If so, you use the longest beam length as the inside spread measurement. I am late to this conversation, but I believe this is one of the things being discussed.

I corrected this to read longest beam. I originally said shortest. My mistake. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Most, not all, but most B&C deer are going to have a G4 so their wording is probably a bit biased.

Look up a local certified scorer and give him a call.

18. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't get that from anywhere other than the official p&y scoring manual. I no longer own the book due to a fire, but this is a topic that has been raised many times since the first contest back on HNI in 2004.

19. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    When I had mine scored back in 2013 the P&Y scorer did tell me that even an 8pt gets an H4 measurement. I don't know about a 6.
    The main thing I was bringing up is that some people are using a spread credit when the inside spread is clearly less than either beam along with just random numbers. Buckeye did a great job with pictures and instructions on how to score the deer. People are not using the tools provided to learn how to score accurately. I'm not complaining about being off 5". I'm saying off by more than 10" is not good.

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You get Inside spread on every score sheet, the IS cannot be more than the longest beam. In the case it is wider, then the longest beam measurement would become the IS credit.

If the spread is less than the beams as you stated in your post than it is a non issue and they get the full credit for spread.