***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wanted to go this morning but NE winds at 15-25 and the worst direction for my stands. Tomorrow morning should be good with SW winds, calm and cool. Hope to get it done. Running out of time before gun season although late season is kind of fun too! Should be a good weekend in WI!

2. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out around noon today I have 2 buck tags I need to fill so hopefully I can connect on one tonight or this weekend.

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to everyone going out this weekend. I had some things to do this morning (and it is c.o.l.d out) - so I'll be going for an evening sit. Last one for the season. Here's to hoping to get something!

4. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well sat yesterday and saw 7 deer. As soon as i got out of my car a doe and 2 fawn ran up to 15 feet of me. 5 min later a buck comes flying down the field after them and the chase was on. Couldn't tell the size of the buck, but i know if they didn't catch me there, they were on the way to m stand so maybe I would have gotten a shot at him. Gun season starts up on Saturday so ill be gun hunting for the next 2 weekends at least, but ill still get out with the bow during the final 2 weeks of gun season.

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Well, my season ended last evening. Didn't see a single deer.

If I don't tag out in rifle season, I may attempt late season archery, but I rarely go out then. Too cold and we start working on our race car. So, we will see. At least I finally put up points.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm pretty sure I'm having the worst season ever when it comes to big bucks. I've only see one "shooter" on the hoof and he was about 125 yards out and moving quick. Tried grunting and bleating at him and he looked but didn't want any part of it. Other than that it's been mostly young bucks and a few does here and there. I'd say 40% of my sits I'm not even seeing a deer. :lol:

I was able to sneak away to WI for the day yesterday. With a $160 tag in my pocket I wasn't coming home empty-handed so when this big doe walked out at 2:45 all by herself I let her have it.

Gun season starts here this weekend so I'll be bowhunting my bow-only area. Unfortunately there's zero bucks on camera that I want to shoot so at this point I'm just going through the motions and hoping something shows up. I guess we'll see! You never know.

[​IMG]

7. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe! I'm sure the bucks will be moving in once gun season starts and peak rut is just around the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  8. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First really good rutting activity I've seen in WI this past weekend. Bucks were chasing and tending doe. Saw 6 different bucks on Saturday morning and another 3 on Sunday morning. Drew back on the same 9 I had an encounter with on last Sunday morning, but couldn't get him to stop for long enough and just didn't feel comfortable with the shot so I didn't take it. He was zigzagging on a trail that a doe being chased by a year and a half old buck had come on about 10 minutes prior. He paused momentarily at 25 yards and then kept going. Another buck was in the same are with what I assume was the same doe all day on Saturday and was still there with her on Sunday morning. He'd chase her and then settle down and bed and chase and settle and repeat. Pretty cool to watch. Not sure if I am going to make it out this week and gun season is next weekend so I'm going to have to get it done late season with the bow. I will be gun hunting, but just doesn't have the same appeal to me and the forecast of 40 degrees with 25-35 mph winds gusting to 45-50 don't really make me want to get excited either, but we'll see!

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Nice size doe there, Justin!

Good luck to those still able to hunt.

10. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for being a crappy team mate so far guys. The public ground I hunt has seen pressure like no other. It has been a struggle and a grind so far, but there is a silver lining. The other night I landed a new private piece of ground that surrounds a park. It is owned by one of the other youth sponsors I teach with. He says there's already a stand set up in a heavy funnel and I can hunt it whenever I like. So naturally I'm jumping all over this opportunity. I'll be hitting it tomorrow at 2:30. Wish me luck!

11. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh by the way Congrats Justin on the moose fawn you shot.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck, Garet. Bad year for many.

13. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So much rain and snow hitting us this morning. Had to drive 35 into work. Now we play the waiting game til it's time to get out to the stand. This is the biggest temp drop all year so far. Get excited people!

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well team - sad to say I left about 150 points on the table for us this last weekend. I had a 10 yard chip shot at a great buck but elected to pass him up as I believe he's giant 3 year old and I'd like to see him live another year. I was secretly hoping I didn't run into him this year as I didn't want to put myself to that test, however when he stepped out I elected to grab the camera instead of the bow and didn't give it a second thought. I'd love the have the opportunity to chase around a 170 inch deer next fall and I believe he'll be that if he makes it.

So for now I'm still buckless and hunting as much as I can. I'll be out Thanksgiving morning and then most of the following weekend. I believe we still have a few older class deer around, it's just a matter of when I can finally catch up with one of them.

Good luck to those still hunting, and Happy early Thanksgiving everyone!

16. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its not an easy thing to do and takes some real self control, but im glad you don't regret it. It would be great for you to get a shot at him next year. Maybe you can send some of this luck up my way.
    I got busted by a huge buck on sunday when i was scouting for some sign in an area I didnt step in this season yet. Found a great trail and scrapes and new rubs on that trail. I heard some weird noises in the thicket right next to the trail, almost like antlers hitting a tree. Well when I got back to my car I found my father sitting inside eating a sandwich and he said that just a few min before I entered the apple orchard my father saw the biggest buck he's ever seen run out. Maybe ill hunt it on Saturday I'll go back to my usual rifle spot.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  17. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great moment to be in the tree Justin, even if you didn't shoot anything. Moments like those don't come often - especially where I hunt. I get excited watching the button heads or spikes - not sure what I'd do with a huge buck. But, some days I really think about skipping taking the bow and just take a camera and take pictures of what nature has to offer.

I think we're all caught up for points, except the one we're waiting on for a score card - Wisco? Maybe some magic will happen for everyone soon. Rifle season starts Monday here. I will be going out the following weekend. Not much into gun hunting, but our freezer is empty. Usually get one at least.

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It was an interesting moment for sure. The biggest deer I've ever legitimately passed has been maybe 125". To let a 150+ walk by at 10 yards was a bit surreal. Part of me almost feels guilty simply because there's a lot of folks that may never get that opportunity in their lives for one reason or another.

Tomorrow morning I'm heading out for a quick hunt before I have to clean up the house and get ready for the 18 people that are coming over for dinner. Hopefully I can bring some fresh tenderloins home for the grill. :tu:

19. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Thanksgiving, team!

20. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven't been on much guy's. Have had some real home issues but those are slowly wrapping up and can't wait for the Wi gun season to end. If the two deer I'm after made it threw I hope to get on them. Good luck this late season guys. Man I dislike gun hunters/season.