Unusual Event this Weekend, Thoughts?....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Marauder, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok Everybody,

It was a strange weekend of hunting in the woods. This weekend I hunted with a buddy. Everything was great for hunting. Colder temps got the deer moving and things seemed perfect. I was predicting it to be magical!

We were seeing plenty of deer in the morning until about 11:30 5 four wheelers decided to drive through the area we were hunting. They were louder than hell and closer to my buddy than to me, but nevertheless they disturbed the area. He texted me and said one of them got stuck, hence all the loud revving of motors throughout the timber. Well they finally made it through and we decided to call it a day.

While I was waiting on my buddy to come over from his stand I hear crashing coming down the hill. I'm getting ready thinking it's a deer and it stops. The next two minutes a buck finally comes busting across the valley with an arrow sticking in it's rear. Now with all the amount of bad shots I read/hear about on Facebook I am actually viewing one for myself out in the woods. Pretty strange. Anyway we head on out and call it a day.

Fast forward to the next morning. We are sitting in the same setups. At about 8 in the morning my buddy texts me saying that he just shot the buck I saw the day earlier with an arrow in it's rear.

What happened was he was sitting in his stand, and heard a deer walking in the creek. He looks and sees the buck which lays down in the middle of the creek right in front of him. He said it was in really bad shape and was suffering. Nothing anybody likes to see especially an ethical hunter. My buddy then put an arrow in him to end his misery.

The question for you guys is that have any of you seen this sort of thing? And do you contact the DNR to let them know? We ended up tagging the buck. The reason I wonder is if he ended the misery would the DNR give him another tag given the situation?

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only way to know for certain is to try. I have heard instances where sickly deer were culled and he DNR giving them another tag.

Was it edible still?

The thing I see being a potential problem is the time that has elapsed from him shooting to asking.

3. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    The deer was still edible aside from the wounded hind quarter where there were two holes in it (one from the arrow, another we have no idea where from). However it wasn't really a hunt. Kind of like hitting one with the car and then ending it's life early. Then taking it home.

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Proba ly varies from state to state. my guess is the call would have to come first. then authorities could ok or not to dispatch the animal and be granted a salvage tag. just my guess. i really dont know

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy, glad he took it out of its misery. But I do think DNR would have needed to be called earlier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think there was an association between the quad riders and the azz shot deer?

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Valiant move on his part. I've used my tag that way before.
    Fish and Game here will not issue a tag nor let you put an animal down.
    Must be done by a warden.

8. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think so. They were 10 minutes apart. When we left the woods and drove out we saw two vehicles down the road so we knew there were hunters. Most likely one of those hunters.

9. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Honestly we don't really want or need a warden walking around the land we were hunting. We are keeping a lid on this area.