***Team 24***Official Thread

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by No.6Hunter, Aug 15, 2016.

1. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    we've had problems with poaching in the past but now I just hate the dumpers!

2. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well , start of day 2 all day in the stand. They turned on about 2:20 yesterday. In an hour saw two spikes 2 six points a fork horn with better than a twenty inch spread a decent 8, no shot 2 does a black coyote and a bobcat all within 10 to 40 yards. Right before I got down on the ground had another buck Chase a doe past me but couldn't tell what he had. Saw a nice 10 here last week. Still waiting. Maybe today.

3. Swampstomper

Dislikes Received:
    Start of day four of a four day hunting. Sitting in a tree waiting for daylight. Shot a hog yesterday. Need a good buck today

4. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pics? I've always wanted to shoot a hog but hey are unicorns in Michigan.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be very glad they are!

6. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    lol, I hear ya!

I have seen one driving in the middle of the night down an old country road in MI, I thought it was a black bear at first it was so large.

7. Swampstomper

Dislikes Received:
    They are a nuisance here. No pics I'll take one next time. They destroyed my food plot twice this year. If they come in they get shot. I've got pics on the computer at home of 20 to 30 in the food plot at one time. The sows are real good eating got one in the freezer now. The one yesterday was a 60 to 70 pound boar. Had a bigger one with him that was closer but he turned so I switched targets.

8. Swampstomper

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 200 percent

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Damn....I am afraid they're going to travel on over in my home area from the nearest breeding population about 30 miles away as it is. If ours learn to drive like the one you saw, we're screwed... :lol:

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    300 percent...here's one of my fields the other day. Hate them! Have caught one this year, killed a huge one last year, and now this.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am feeling sick. This morning at 0715 after hitting the can doe call, a beautiful buck came in on a dime. I pulled the #APARattler back and shot him at 33yds.

The deer ran about 10 yds looked around and walked off the ridge like nothing happened. So Noeh and I waited for an hour to start tracking. As you can see my arrow was covered with good blood. So we tracked him for about 88 yds. when the blood stopped.

So around 0930, my buddy Taylor came to help me but after three hours and two pockets of blood at 166 and 180 yds we laid our tobacco down with gratitude for the experience and prayers of healing for that buck.

This is why we Bowhunting...#BHOD ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1479066929.254357.jpg

P.s. What would you have done different?

12. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear Mkwa, nothing worse than no recovery but it's a learning experience I'm sure. Was it possibly low and just grazed him? I'm sure he will be fine if it's a flesh wound. I suppose the only thing "I may" have done different is let him sit over night, but thats always a hard decision to make.

13. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently sitting my third morning in a row looking to capatalize on a doe before gun season starts tomorrow. Seen one buck this morning and a couple others the last 3 days. Tomorrow I head out with the slug gun!

14. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had an exciting weekend in the stand. I missed a drop tine buck on Friday night. It was a shot I should have never taken. I think the arrow hit a branch and I missed by 3 feet. Saturday morning was one of the most exciting sits I've ever had in the deer woods. Deer everywhere. I had two shooter bucks in range, but just couldn't get a good shot.

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here you go No.6. shot this Saturday evening, but couldn't find it. Some people took dogs down there today to run it....and look what they found. Annoyed I couldn't find it.

[​IMG]

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I missed a nice 10 point Saturday morning with my 30.06. I nicked his front leg enough to make him limp. Tracked him for about 50 yards and he stopped bleeding too. Went back to the house, that afternoon I went back and looked some more and kicked him up a couple hundred yards north. He crossed a deep creek with no problems and went on west for at least another two hundred yards and out of sight. Went and checked where I saw him last there and he crossed the creek again only dropping one pencil eraser sized drop of blood on a leaf, up the other side and out of sight.

I said Eff it and went on to work cutting beans. I haven't been back out since. In my defense he was right at 250 yards away, out in the middle of a bean field and I was in a 15' blind with a good rest. The problem is I never shoot my rifle out at those distances anymore like I used to. There were a bunch of people hunting the neighbors 400 yards to the east and I didn't know how much I'd get to hunt again so I decided to chance it being somewhat confident with him full broadside and stopped. I must have hit his shoulder towards his front end and missed any vitals or lower in his leg but it was intact when he left the field though he was holding it up. Blood was bright red like muscle blood, no smell, bubbles or anything.

I knew better than to take that shot but the circumstances tempted me beyond my endurance. :lol:

17. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Covey, what is this weed?

[​IMG]

18. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And that sucks about the buck. Maybe you'll get another Crack.

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Looks familiar but not sure, it looks a lot like a young buttonbush or what we locally call a button willow.

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's what the hog was rooting around in the field. It spread and am going to spray since it got pretty bad.