Educate me on Scrapes

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jvella, Nov 11, 2016.

1. jvella

jvella Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I spooked a large buck out of his bed accidentally while leaving the stand a few weeks ago. I had a general idea of where this guy might be hanging out so I did a little scouting and found a bunch of scrapes and tree destruction in the center and surrounding area of a small opening of the woods. I discovered that the does bed about half a mile from this location. There are several extremely active trails with fresh crap everywhere and it seems as though this buck has (don't call me crazy) intentionally marked out this spot as home. With it being the rut, do I assume he's actively hanging out there or he's simply marked his territory and cruises the area? Should I hunt this spot? How do I get a stand in there without spooking him off?

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to avoid spooking him any further, I would try to sit in a transition area between his bedding area and the doe bedding area.

3. BowhuntOrDie

BowhuntOrDie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this 100%, though i will add that if you hunt a transition between bedding areas, it will be imperative that you sit all day! If a good buck follows the doe back to their bedding, he may hang out there for quite some time before going back to bed himself

4. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like a core area. he will stay downwind from it. just over hill wind at his back looking down hill etc....where he can see stay away. find rub's leaving the area side rubbed will be bedding area. they will usually rub alot after just waking and go for a drink. timing is everything ofc. remember during rut he maybe anywhere at anytime

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most likely he's either through with the scraping by now and on or about to be on the search for hot does. This past Saturday I made a scrape and just before shooting light I had a big buck follow my Tinks doe in heat drag right to the scrape, he only smelled it and disappeared into the field. I was hoping he would have tended the scrape but he didn't do that. However, in my experiences, if you find a ton of sign like this you can set up on it, but do it on the run. meaning I wouldn't leave your stand there, because he will notice it and disappear most likely. Last year I came across such a place on my exit out. I froze and hit my grunt call. after about 5 minutes I didn't see anything and started on my way, until I heard a snap. I turned around and found a very large buck walking right to wear I was standing when I grunted. unfortunately, I wasn't able to pull off a shot. The very next weekend I sat up wind from this place and at about noon another large buck came by following a doe. I was able to shoot this beast. I think this was a good place to set up.