***The F8ful 8 - Team 8***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by drath, Aug 15, 2016.

1. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What a brute! Congrats to you!

2. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome man! That's a great buck! Got a rough score yet? Well done!

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    150 7/8 already entered into the contest.

Thanks everyone

4. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1478609590.298622.jpg

Just passed on this buck we call Tight Rack Ten. It was tough but I know there's bigger deer in the woods...and next year his name might change to Giant Rack Ten!

5. twmessmer

twmessmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That a boy cls. Great buck

6. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!!

7. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    I've been seeing scrapes pop up in the area I'm focusing on. I have a couple bucks on camera and had one big-bodied deer come in after shooting light on Saturday but that's about it. He followed my scent drag so he was definitely searching. I set up a mock scrape today around 1p and put a camera out. Planning on going back out Friday, possibly Saturday if it's not too windy (forecast calls for 33mph gusts). Then I'm off the week of thanksgiving so that's a solid three or four days.

In other news, my father found a nice public land buck near the area we hunted early muzzleloader. Officially jealous!

MFDC0086.jpg

8. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    A buck I passed on last year showed up for the first time last night. I don't think I'd let him pass! ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1478656389.861183.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1478656401.358402.jpg

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As captain, I hereby forbid you the choice of passing him :lol: He's a brute for sure, sic 'im.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm taking tomorrow off, will be back out Thursday and am laying the smack down on 50 points. Taking a cooler or two of bagged ice and a tarp, if ai shoot early I'll put it on ice and keep hunting. I don't want to shoot another buck unless it is worthy, but tired of passing meat waiting.

11. twmessmer

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of u guys used dead down wind detergent. I have used it this year and my clothes have a sort of chemically smell to them. I have left them out all week on the line to try and get it out but hasn't helped. I'm kind of nervous since I took Thursday friday and Monday off. Just seeing if anyone has had this issue.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using it the past two seasons. Have washed my clothes in it 4 times this season.

I wash themmin he detergent, then spray the dryer down with prinos earth blend, dry them then spray an air tight rubber bag with the earth scent and put my clothing in it. When getting dressed, I lay all my clothes out and give them a liberal spray then head to stand. I've been winded and not winded. Where I hunt deer come from all directions, some notice and others don't.

13. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out tomorrow morning. I'll be bowhunting Thursday and Friday for sure. Then have to make a decision if I want to Bowhunt or firearm over the weekend. Go get 'em guys!

-D

14. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Used to use it. I switched to washing with baking soda and drying everything outside. I also keep a small container of baking soda in my bin that I carry my clothes in with holes poked in the top to absorb odor. This is my second season using this method and I have yet to get winded.

15. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In other news. I got my two big target bucks on camera between 9-10am on the 3rd. I have a really good idea of where they are bedding and traveling in the AM. Hopefully the plan comes together this week. Last night of work until the 21st. Hope everyone is seeing tons of activity!

16. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a friend who started using that last year and he thinks it is a big help. He has changed all of his no-scent sprays to Dead Down Wind also. Just my two cents.

17. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have off the next 4 days so I'll be getting after it non-stop. Not sure any big boys are still in my core area because the one I have been hunting the past two years is dead. It's the rut though and there is no telling what might show up.

18. twmessmer

Dislikes Received:
    So I shot my #1 buck at 11 this morning but I hit him in the shoulder. I let him go for 4 hrs and took up the trail. Had good blood for 300 yds and it ran dry. Searched around for him but never found him. I guess I'll have ro try and shoot another tomorrow.

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well... today is my last day in the office for the month. I'll be getting after it hard now. I have only hunted a couple time so far as I've been busy filming my son and father. My turn now :) Some of you maybe saw the giant I airballed last week :( I posted a short clip on FB. I have hunted that deer the last two years. He is 180ish and I choked... I have one more hunt for him tomorrow morning then I'll be hunting and filming with a local outfitter for the next 5 days. If I don't tag out there I'll go back after him.

Something will die in the next few days... just gotta finish setting up my new bow this afternoon first :ninja:

20. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that! It sucks. Did you hit that knuckle bone or the shoulder blade? I shot a doe last year in the knuckle bone of the shoulder, broke the head off the arrow. I tracked her for 400-500 yards with very little blood but I was hoping I got into the chest. Didn't find her and blood trail dried up so I'm assuming she made it.

I made it out this morning and got to watch two definite shooter bucks spar on the hillside next to me. They were about 70-100 yards out and sounded like they were rolling down the hill, crazy! I called and rattled but the wind I think was too much and they walked off. At least one was 4x4, possibly 10 points. Biggest I've seen in that area. Also saw doe and fawn but again they were a ways off. I would have stayed the whole day but tomorrow's foretasted high winds actually showed up today and it was 60 degrees by noon.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016