***Full Draw Freaks - Team 4***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by jfergus7, Aug 15, 2016.

1. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok little update. I shot a nice buck Thursday afternoon. Shot him pretty far back. Backed out and went in the next day about 22 hours later. We tracked him over 650 yards through the neighbors property. Looked for about 7.5 hours and no luck. I figured that giving him time he would lay down and expire but I guess I was wrong. They don't want us looking anymore on them thinking we will mess up there guys season, so I guess unless they find him and give him back (which I doubt) I'll have to keep hunting. They showed me tons of trail cam photos that they had and we figure he would go in the upper 160's which makes me sick. So I go out Saturday morning and have what we call our big 9 get shot and run right infront of me and die. Ended up another neighbor got permission from land owner that we rent from to hunt there also. He was only about 75 yards from me when he shot him. So I'm majorly bummed at this time. LOL I go into another spot Sat evening that my buddy sat that morning and was covered up in deer. Well I wasn't so lucky had one neighbor running backhoe and the other sighting in guns all evening. So my season has kinda sucked until tonite. I go out and climb a tree in a lil thicket while our last standing corn is getting shelled. He gets finished and about an hour til dark I notice some does come out in the other field. Then all I see is antlers. He comes out chasing these 2 does around, whips up on another small buck. All in all he has 9 does he is grouping like a bull elk. So hopefully I can go in tomm night and use decoy to bring him in for a shot.

2. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    timmy_ar, sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hope you get the biggun' tonight!

3. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man thats rough timmy. I hope they find him and actually give you the deer.

4. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Well an update from my trip. So far the theme has been wrong side of the plot. I have seen a few decent bucks I would take but they are always on the other side of both my plots. I try calling but none of them like that at all. For the most part movement has been real hit and miss here. I am hoping this front moving in after the rain will get it going in the daytime.
    I am trying to get this done with a bow but if nothing happens by Saturday night I will have to pick up a gun.

5. preachnhunt

Dislikes Received:
    They are on the other side ,scared,because the MONSTER is going to come out on your side.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well between loggers marking trees in our bottoms, landowner who is stil bush hogging in November and the guys that shotgun hunt this property tracking all over screaming back and forth about which tree is a better one to put a stand in, this place is toast. started out good, just too much activity. The scrapes that were getting hit as of a week ago are cold. hardly any pics and all at night. Time to pick up and move on. Headed to families farm in Pope Co. IL. There is no shortage of deer down there. Ill take a day off to catch up on some chores and fam time then im headed south. Ill keep you all updated!

7. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Tough break shocker. Hopefully everything works out in your new spot.

8. preachnhunt

Dislikes Received:
    That to me is the most frustrating part of deer hunting. I went to one onf my spots yesterday where the farmer has always said I am the only one hunting. I have two good shooters on trail cams. The farmer told me he was gonna let a couple of other guys hunt there since I didn't hunt it that much. (True in an effort to not put too much pressure until the time is right) when I got to the farm there were no less than 5 stands theat i could see and who knows how many i can't. I also saw a trail cam. Again, how many are unseen? I feel for you Shocker.

9. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Connected on a doe/button buck tonight. I am grateful to just put some meat in the freezer. I'll post it to the scoreboard tonight or tomorrow. The really good news is I got permission on some property that has 3-4 140"+ bucks running around on it. The farmer I work with even sent me game camera pictures and he wasn't joking. Heading there tomorrow night and all day thursday/Friday to try my luck. Good luck out there guys!

10. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep working guys! Great work Bowafide. Fresh venison is what it's all about. If I survive these election results, I'll be out in the woods tomorrow on my roommates property. Then an action packed (fingers crossed) weekend at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. preachnhunt

Dislikes Received:
    We are in second place. Bowafide just got us fifty more. We can win this thing.

12. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ****e...now I HAVE to put points up. Have plans this weekend but going all day on Monday.

13. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome job so far guys keep putting your time in the stand and we can take this thing!

Gun season opens Saturday here in indiana. I will be sticking with my bow. Hopefully the orange army can help me out and get these deer moving.

14. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah wow we're right there!
    I'll be out Saturday morning. I'm going into their bedroom and hope to catch them coming back to bed late...They should be out Friday night with full moon coming and going to be 29degrees...finally some cold weather. Wind will be WSW which is perfect for my honey hole I haven't been in all fall. I just hope I beat them in. I'll probably sit in the dark for an hour waiting on them.

15. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from down south. Had a great weekend despite only seeing one big buck. he was on a mission at about 150 yds out. Didnt respond to snort weeze. Had some good encounters with smaller bucks in kill range and a huge doe that looks like a giraffe. she would probably dress out at 160#. she got a pass at 8 yds at the mercy of my uncle asking me not to kill her. Her and her 2 fawns basically live in the back yard down there. Oh Yea, my buddy checked cams at the property i was so bummed about and had multiple pics of this guy right at shooting light on 3 different days. sorry bout the pic of a pic but he looks pretty decent. ill catch up on some honey do's then get after him hopefully sunday before the orange army arrives!

Attached Files:

16. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I finally tagged out yesterday morning!

I got permission from a farmer I work with earlier this week. He indicated a lot of deer and very mature bucks, sounded gravy. I sat Wednesday night and was covered in does, 15 total. Next morning was the same thing and only a couple smaller bucks. Sat again yesterday morning and had does everywhere once again, but this buck popped out of the narrow corn strips along the edge of a cut sunflower field 30 yards in front of me. He started chasing a few does around for 10 minutes and when he realized they weren't in heat he started mulling his way towards me. He worked a scrape for a minute before he came to within 20 yards and I took the shot. Shot didn't look good, he was quartering to and the shot was a little far back. I looked for arrow bout 30 minutes later but couldn't find it. Was worried sick. Gave him about 6 hours and pheasant hunted. When I went back I still couldn't find arrow or blood so I went to where I last saw him, still no blood. I scoured the surrounding area and he was piled up 30 yards away. Wasn't a good shot but I think the arrow deflected of ribs and caught an artery in the hind quarter. When I gutted I noticed I caught a lung and liver. Was such a relief to find him!
    IMG_0352.jpg

17. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a nice buck bowafide and more points on the board!

Sadly my vacation in coming to an end with no buck. I will be back later in December to hunt so hopefully I can make it happen then. Next weekend is the Illinois gun season so I will be picking up my 20ga and hitting the woods in s. IL. good luck guys and keep pushing! We need everyone to at least add doe points to the board.

18. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats bowafide!!! way to get it done. i havent been able to get out for couple days. back to work tom then gun season. i do have a few tricks up my sleeve for late season. one property i hunt will have the only standing beans on it in a square mile at least.

19. preachnhunt

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck bowafide! Glad you got him even tho you said the shot was a little off.

20. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    looks like alot of others are putting some nice deer on the ground. we will have to dig in and let some arrows fly. bonus points and all. Ill try to get a buck on the ground. ive had chances but was waiting for a monster. Hey wheres Jfergus been bu the way? havent heard update from him in awhile. oh captain, where are you???