First blind hunting of the year did me in...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by kentuckybuck, Nov 7, 2016.

1. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This past Friday I decide to go to my oats and wheat food plot. I have a blind which I have had there for about 2 months. I just purchased that day some local fresh doe urine and decide to do a drag line behind me. I get to a small single tree in front of the blind and tuck my drag under leaves there. I go another 15 yds roughly and get into my blind. First rookie mistake is i didnt try my blind out with my chair until that night. Its not tall enough for me to see over into the bottom of my plot, not good. But anyways blah blah blah, see about 20 turkeys come and go. Then this.

At sun setting time i start to hear something making noise in woods behind me, i figured it was some does i have had on camera coming in. my front and right side are open to shoot, back closed, left closed with small unzipped to peek out. So i look through the small peep hole to see if i notice anything and THERE HE IS about 30 yds away. now he couldn't see me. But he would stomp his foot, smell in the air, trot around, stomp again, look around. then finally after about 5 to 10 minutes headed back up the ridge or somewhere, lost him. I tried small grunt but nothing. to make things worse, there was no shooting light left. I decide to start packing up, I look up and here comes what looks like to be a deer running following my drag line, all i do is shift my weight and he stops goes back about 20 yds , goes into the woods, then starts blowing! unbelievable. Lets just say next two afternoon sits, nothing.

So questions if don't mind.
    1. I thought about it and think both bucks came into the deer urine. then big one couldnt figure out why he couldnt see a doe but smelled it. Should I use that same bottle of urine? What are the chances of either deer coming back to that area?

2. How long should i give it a rest before trying again, or does it even matter really?

3.Not a question, but definitely not feeling the blind after that, but I know that is hunting also, just stinks because if I would have put a stand, could have been different outcome, possibly.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for listening.

2. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some wary bucks! Sorry to hear they left and didn't come back. Ever seen them on the camera? Spooked by the blind?

My first thought was both winded you.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the urine again.

If you have a tree stand, forget the first 2 bucks and use it at the best location you can think of, considering wind direction etc. if one of them shows up, great!

3. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    It was in a bottom, so the wind swirls somewhat, so good chance he might have got a whiff of something he didn't like. The second was in good shape, just caught me I guess. I have had pics of my big guy "Cow" for about 2 months now. Get a pic of him about every 2 to 4 days. Started getting quite a bit of a smaller 8 and tiny 3pt.

I put up a climber behind the blind up in the wood line just until I can get a hang on/ladder in place where I want. Little afraid the climber sitting there will spook the deer. Gun season comes in Saturday, I was hoping for some good luck before then. It's private land so not the worst thing.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scent control is important. Most likely those bucks winded you. Blinds can be a little tricky to hunt out of because you are down at their eye level so any movement or sound seems to be amplified. My suggestion is to take extra precautions with your scent control. Shower before you go out with scent elim. products, wear freshly washed clothes that have been washed with scent free soap. Spray down with scent eliminator and spray down with some type of cover scent. I personally like to use a cover scent that smells natural to the deer. You can add to that by using a something like Evercalm which is supposed to help keep deer calm because it's a natural scent they are used to encountering.
    I know I kinda sound like a commercial, but these steps are necessary to conceal your human odor, because if you don't, you won't get a good buck anywhere close to you. They are too smart.

5. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:

I did all of that! I am a scent control freak. I literally did everything you said. I even wash the towel I dry off of with out of the shower. I Before I shower I put all of my gear in a scent crusher bag for 10 to 15 min. Trust me, no one gives deer more credit than I do. I get aggravated with people all of the time when they say stuff like , all wind doesnt matter, i sprayed down. WHAT! Good Luck!

Let's not forget "Cow" came around 30 yds for and hung out for about 10 min. behind me, not too shabby. Just didnt come out. Where I messed up was thinking he would walk out in the field when I don't have anything but night pics of him. He is a smart buckaroo. Should have had windows toward woods open. 2nd deer was upwind of me, but was on my track in(had drag line behind me). Guess that is why they call it hunting , ha.

Hunting on the ground out of blind was definitely a different feeling compared to up in a tree. Man i missed my tree stand that night,ha.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I've hunted a fair amount out of the blind and always feel like I have to be much more careful about sound and movement. They seem to be able to pick up the slightest noise or any little movement inside the blind. Hunting from the blind does give you a different feel, it's pretty cool to to be down at their level.

7. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, I know what you mean. It was awesome looking at him from the ground that close. Hopefully get another opportunity, but I know they don't come often.