Deer bedding on north slope?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sethf11, Nov 4, 2016.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have found some beds in an area where the deer are bedding on a north facing slope. It's on a shelf where the wind normally is blowing west to east. They also are in there bedding almost an hour before light. I'm the only person around hunting so no pressure.

Just seems strange to me. Any ideas? All I can think of is the view. It's on a small shelf and overlooks a creek bed where you can see for a little distance.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could be because it's been a warm Fall. North side will be shaded longer and stay cooler. On cold years and during our winter, we see more beds on the South facing slopes.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In NY you will commonly find bedding areas on north facing hills, which tend to have more coniferous cover. You will often see doe bedding areas on south facing points on the same hills. However I found bucks to bed 1/3 or less of the way off the top in the first heavy cover below the ridges.
    I have found this to be the case in all the north east states from pa to Maine.

4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in NY. This area is 1/3 or so below the top of the hill Oman small shelf. Makes perfect sense then. It's hardwoods and I have seen bucks on camera in the area. Guess where I know I will be hunting around over the next 2 weeks or so. Rut is heating up here in NY.

5. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in NY. It's been a little warmer than usual but not really warm enough to say it's out of the ordinary warm. Thanks.