***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: I forgot about that unfortunate incident.

2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel ya Justin, my daughter is 15 months and it's almost impossible to find time to hunt. I couldn't imagine 3 little ones running around. Good luck to ya and congrats on the new arrival.

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations, Wisco! Sorry - late to the party. That'll help our points!

Congratulations, Justin on the new bundle of joy! Hope everyone is doing well! Good luck if you can get out!

Was hit with a migraine last night and I feel like I was hit with a truck this morning. Supposed to be around 70 today. Going to take another day off and try and clean my house. I cannot catch up on anything.

4. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    November 1st and the weather might be as warm as 70 degrees here in WI. I'm afraid the mosquitos might've rehatched and with all the water we have, yikes! Good news is that the water seems to be receding relatively quickly. Going to try and get to my best stand tonight if I don't sweat through my clothes walking there. Really don't like hunting when it is this warm and wet, but you gotta go when you can so I'm going to try and sneak out of work early and get in a tree for a couple hours tonight.

5. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Passed another decent buck tonight. Not a ton of action but this guy came out around 5:15 PM and gave me a perfect shot. He came in from behind me first and I glanced back and thought he was maybe a shooter. He then came right beside me just inside the edge of the woods and stood at about 7 yards and I got a pretty good look at him and decided I wasn't going to shoot him. Pulled out the phone and took some video instead. He crossed quartering away at about 13 yards and I could have smoked him, but luck was on his side. Saw a couple more doe, but that was it for buck movement. I'll include a screen shot from my video. IMG_2756.jpg

6. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Nice little buck, bet he'll be nice in another year or two. Glad your spots are drying out and becoming active.

7. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [video=vimeo;189934989]https://vimeo.com/189934989[/video] Here is the full video. Just a cell phone video so quality suffers a bit.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Great young deer - he'll be a dandy if he makes it through the season.

Still looking like I'll be able to get out tomorrow morning for a few hours. Hoping to see some movement after this rain pushes through. Supposed to rain/storm most of the day here and then cool off a bit.

9. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin (or anyone else),

Do you think this is a 2.5 or 3.5 year old deer? I think sometimes we underage deer and misidentify age based on tooth wear. We have started to take age and weight records of our deer and now are going to start getting the teeth aged through the cementum annuli method. We want to monitor the overall heard health and gauge a deer's approximate age by weight possibly with enough verified sample sizes over time. It's going to take a while, but the data should be worth it.

10. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It looks a little big in the body to be 2 1/2 but I think the deer my way are a little smaller than the ones out your way. I'd say 2 1/2 because he didn't look at developed as a 3 1/2 yo. All I know is your a better man than I cause I would have gone for the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well looks like my season hit a end. With having herniated discs in my neck it's hard for me to carry anything and I've been hunting the same spot it's easy in for me so on Oct 1 I hung my stand been hunting it this whole time never had any issues till Sunday this Polish guy starts yelling at me saying it his spot he's hunted there for 8 years I just say hey its public man I was there first and I told him when I'm not there he can hunt my stand whenever he wants so I go back yesterday in the rain and he stole my stand why are people such *******s with everything I have going on this is the last thing I needed man I gotta get off public so I'm gona camp out that spot and catch him he'll be there today every Thursday and Friday he's there at 430 he makes it a point to walk around my stand and setup 30 yards from me I just can't believe he stole my stand well we'll see what happenes when I get my hands on him I'm driving my wife's vehicle in so he doesn't see my truck and thinks I'm not there.

12. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about that. Some people think the woods belong to them cause he's been hunting there for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

14. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Wisco, I see you posted your score - thanks! But, you need to post the break down.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  15. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:

16. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Planning a sit after work - though it all depends what time I get out for where I go. Want to hunt my spot about five minutes from home - but the friend who owns it always goes through the field about 545-6ish to his stand. Which, kind of ruins anything that may have been going through. Thought about trying to run to my old stomping ground - again, depends what time I get out. That's about 30 minutes away.

Will be hunting tomorrow morning and evening. Everyone is telling me the deer are on the move in our area - so I am hoping I can get something, anything. We really need meat for the freezer.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    From that angle it's hard to be sure, however his neck just doesn't look big enough for him to be a 3 year old. You'd really need some decent trail camera pics to get a better idea of body size and age.

18. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [video=vimeo;190275095]https://vimeo.com/190275095[/video]

My daily bucks I could've shot but didn't video. This one isn't anything special, but came right in this morning. Saw two other bucks (both 1.5s) and had one in range.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  19. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice video Aaron hopefully he makes it two more years!

20. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Went out last night didn't see a thing. Ran into a guy who is hunting neighboring piece and he has seen a bunch. So, this morning I move to my old stand (my original spot) - had a spike walk under me and then a nice buck 60 yards away in the woods. I think I saw another with that one but not sure. Came home to do chores and will head back to same stand tonight....here's hoping a doe follows like the spike did. He never even noticed me.