Wind during the rut

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Oct 27, 2016.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking about taking off a cpl days first week of November. I have a few sets hung but I am worried about the wind. During the rut how important is wind compared to non-rut?? I don't wana take off for 3 days and have bad wind etc.

2. IndianaBowHunter18

IndianaBowHunter18 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Always play the wind no matter the time of the year. You can get busted by a doe that alerts all the other deer in the area. You can also have a buck cruising around looking for does that will still be alert to his surroundings and scents in that area.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it becomes less important during the rut. The deer really can come from any direction during the rut. If I have X number of days to hunt, and the wind isn't cooperating in my only potentially productive area, I'll still hunt that area. I would simply hunt higher up than usual. Just 2 days ago, I had a basket 8pt come from behind me (10yrds) and feed his way directly down wind of my location, and he did not smell me! My odor must have been above him, because I use zero scent control.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  4. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This stand set up is 25', I won't hunt lower than 20'. Public land deer are hip! haha

6. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Idk man. Depends what kind of land you hunt. If your hunting peer hardwoods where deer come from any direction , then it can be a crap shoot. You just hunt what u believe is your best wind based on deer history movement. If u are hunting large agricultural fields with know travel and bedding areas, then ya wind direction is priority one.