Xop climbing sticks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by A5BLASTER, Oct 24, 2016.

1. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok fellas like the title says I need some reviews of these sticks from those that have them.

I been loking at these sticks because I like the price and the way the step is made compared to the lonewolf sticks.

Will be useing them with my new Chippewa hang on stand, was tinking six would be enough to get me as high as I need to be depending on what part of the wma Im hunting, Oh yea forgot to state that Im a 100 % wma public land hunter.

So any thing yall can tell me about the Xop sticks would be awesome.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's a decent stick if you can tolerate as single sided step. The step is somewhat longer then the LW sticks. I seen them on field supply recently for a decent price.
    Personally I don't like single sided steps, I think it one more potential accident waiting to happen.

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Agreed, I went with the Leverage Sticks for that reason. Also a real pain hanging the stand with only one leg supporting all your weight.

4. A5BLASTER

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replys fellas.

I do like the design of the step on the xop better then the lone wolf but I would also like two sided steps as well, my only problem with getting climbing sticks with two sided steps is I cant find a company that makes them rated for 350 pounds.

Would one of you fellas happen to know a company that has two sided step climbing sticks rated for 350 pounds.

And if anybody is intrested I found a online supplyer that has the xop sticks in a three pack for 107 and some change with free shipping, that's where I was going to order mine from, unless someone can point me in the right direction for some two sided step climbing sticks rated for 350 pounds.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have bought the xop sticks when I got my xop vanish xt stand. They are nice sticks but I ended up sending them back to get a refund and kept my 4 lone wolf sticks instead. They are like lone wolf but they are bigger and significantly HEAVIER. For that reason, I did not want them as they were a lot bulkier in my opinion when I try to limit the weight I carry.

6. A5BLASTER

Dislikes Received:
    Kurveball18 thanks for that info.

So how much difference in weight was it between the two, from what I'm reading of the two sticks specs they are nearly identical in weight.

7. So.Ill.Deer.Hunter

So.Ill.Deer.Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought an XOP air raid stand and 4 sticks earlier this year. In my opinion the sticks are well built and I really like that they have a longer step, they have larger V brackets (to hold the stick away from the tree), and the sticks lock together and are dead quiet walking in.

As someone posted earlier, they do have a little weight to them, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for a set of sticks that I'm comfortable with using.

8. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    I wish i would have weighed them prior to sending back actually. They are definately a quality stick and made very well. If you put 4 xop sticks and 4 lone wolf sticks side by side I bet the Xop ones are about another 4 pounds heavier. They are bigger. My whole goal was to eliminate weight as I thought i would really like the locking feature. It was nice but adding that much weight It was a no brainer for me to return them. I've talked with a couple other guys who thought the same thing that for a run and gun type setup they are not the way to go.

9. A5BLASTER

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the replays fellas.

I ordered the XOP sticks last night over the Lone Wolf, I just like the longer step of the xop more then the lone wolf and can live with a few more pounds for a more secure step for my tugboat feet lol size 14 alfa burlys.

As it is even with them being a lil heavyer then lone wolf Im still coming out with a lighter pack load with them and my chippewa stand then I am when i pack my pop up blind and chair. Bout a five pound diffrence.

Bought two three pack of sticks, that should get me to a good hunting hight in any area I hunt on the wma, no matter the type of tree.

Again thanks for all the replys and advice fellas.

10. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if price is an issue muddy aerolite sticks are great ....3 weigh 9 pounds and stack together nicely

think they are rated for 300 pounds but if you have your harness attatched and go up slowly i dont think it would be that much of a problem

11. martin sabre1967

Dislikes Received:
  12. martin sabre1967

Dislikes Received:
    The Muddy Aerolite sticks changed the way I hunt forever. I was between these and the Muddy Pro series but ultimately went with the Aerolite sticks because they were A: lighter, B: there were only three to pack because they're three step vs. two, and C: they featured the cam buckle system which I prefer for quick in and out. I couldn't be more thrilled. Using two bungie chords across the back of my Millennium M100, I can be in and out of a tree in 10 minutes with minimal noise and four total straps. Make that three if I have a Millennium receiver already in place. With a pack that weighs less than 20 lbs total I can get in and try areas that I never thought possible, especially on public land, and use in-field scouting to get on game. Literally I've set up (and taken down) with deer pretty much all-around me.
    Simply said– these change the way you hunt.
    Buy them. You won't regret it.

review from cabelas.....but i own them and they are awesome

abuddy730 likes this.
  13. A5BLASTER

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info Sabre1967, wish i would have seen that before i ordered the xop sticks.

Would have really liked to have had the double sided steps.

14. A5BLASTER

Dislikes Received:
    But I did get the xop sticks for much less then the muddy sticks.

15. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Yea it would be nice to have step on each side at the same height. I just don't like that the Muddy aerolight ones are 3 pounds each. I know the lone wolf sticks are not much lighter but as a run and gun hunter every little bit adds up. I know to have something strong it requires using quality metals that are not super light but you think they would be able to make a sub 2 pound stick or atleast 2 pounds including the strap.

I've contemplated getting some of those steel tree sticks from sportsmans guide (cheap ones)and having the top 2 sticks in trees prior to season. Then all I have to do is bring 2 lone wolf sticks and climb up as my top 2 are already in place.

16. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Muddy aerolite I believe are rated to 350#
    I have an XOP 4 pack and my only complaint is the weight
    The fact that they lock together is nice, but not crucial IMO
    The deeper v bracket and larger step puts them over the lone wolf to me

I don't have an issue with the one step deal but I spent the past 20 years hanging stands with screw in steps...so all relative
    Another option is the Hawk helium sticks...I have some hawk sticks not the helium but they are quality
    I am not sure if they're rated 350 though...might only be 300

17. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have the actual weight of both sticks? Xop vs lone wolf?
    I'm getting ready to pick up a new light weight set up and am currently leaning toward the hawk helium stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would be cool if there was an aftermarket MOD to put a double sided step on the top of one of the lone wolf sticks. Thats the only thing I don't like about the LW sticks is that one sided at the top makes it a pain. Anyone got any ideas on a mod for this?

19. abuddy730

abuddy730 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lone wolf stick is 2.5 lbs XOP stick is 3.2 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Helium sticks and love em. I am not a fan of single sided steps personally and is one of the reasons I decided to try the Helium sticks. Lightweight and have seemed extremely solid in construction and quiet. Worth checking out if someone is considering stick options.