Rookie mistake

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by nsdrawbridge10, Oct 26, 2016.

1. nsdrawbridge10

nsdrawbridge10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm sitting in one of my stands last night. Now this stand has not been super productive in the past. IT'S getting late about that time and I get a text from my gf she needs a ride home from work. SO thinking I wasn't gonna see anything I lower my bow. As soon as I do one starts coming in behind me. I start hoisting my bow up and it bumps a branch. He takes off but not far. I wait q0 min then I hear him haf snort wheeze half blow. IT was 2 short ones then he took off. Do you think the stand should be moved now?

2. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you should wait until dark to get down next time lol, but no you should be fine just give it a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that buck will be in bow range at that stand site for you.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If a mature buck, I'd say chances of getting a shot at him on that exact stand is drastically less now. Doesn't mean not gonna happen nor that the spot is blown for any other deer. Suspect he'll be warry of the spot himself for a while....now a hot doe will blow his concern possibly or the chance he never clearly figured out what was going on.

If a 2.5 or younger...he probably circled back after you left even haha!

5. nsdrawbridge10

nsdrawbridge10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking of moving the stand closer to his bedding area but don't know if that would force him nocturnal. Deff not a. Mature buck

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    rest it a few days...

7. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I moved a stand every time I got busted, I would never be hunting. It's just a deer. He can't put together that someon is sitting in the teee trying to kill him. It's fine

8. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah. The bucks are starting to move now and seeking. You could make a mock scrape near your stand and I bet the next time you visit it will have been taken over by bucks. Just grab a stick and scratch the ground under a branch that's about 5 foot off the ground. Then whip it out and pee in the scrape. I would bet my tags that you will find lots of deer tracks inside the scrape as well as the scrape being bigger then you left it.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good points!

10. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I rattled in a nice 8 in 2014. Had him at thirty yards. He got all jumpy and skidaddled outta there. I was very disappointed of course. Well about 7 days later here he comes just ripping through looking for does about fifty yards away. I grunted bleat and rattled. He didn't give one I oda. Four days later I got the prettiest doe in the woods come out behind me. She made about a hundred yard circle around my stand pissing on her back legs every ten yards. This lasted for one hour. I kept thinking where the f are the bucks. She finally heads north and out of site. Finally I hear a buck grunt up near her. Then I hear a twig snap behind me. I turn and see the nice behind me head buried in her piss. He slowly walks rite under me. I pull back. He bounds off fifteen yards. Stops. And I double lung him. Same buck who had busted me before. They don't leave the area. They mite get smarter, but how smart are u when u have a hottie close by. Probably not very. IMG_0004.jpg

Tags: